...one squat at a time - Page 3 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

25-04-2013, 16:57   #31
TheBellJar
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by COH View Post
If the usual SI activation stuff doesn't help at all my SI usually calms down after I attack my glutes and hips with a hockey ball/foam roller then stretch and band-distract the bejaysus out of them a lá mobilitywod.

I've never had my leg seize up though, sounds like there could be more going on there? Teran Synge (1 Merrion Square) is an SI ninja jesus - talk to him.
Thanks a million for that. Karla actually recommended Aidan Wood so I’ve made an apt with him for Wed, but if it’s better to go to someone with more of a focus on SI I’ll do that. Any advice from anyone would be great as I don’t know much about physios.

As for what’s going on with it, this is the best description I have really:

Pain in my lower left hip when I bend down/sit down/get up/squat/deadlift..goes from bearable to sharp pain.
Constant ache going from that point down my leg
Weird pins and needles type feeling when I try to straighten out my leg
Leg shakes when I try to straight it out fully and feels like I’m over stretching it (which I’m not)
Constantly aware of it being stiff when I’m walking.
Advertisement
25-04-2013, 20:42   #32
TheBellJar
Closed Account

Stretching and mobility stuff.

- kudos to COH for having a look at my broken-ness; did a straight leg lift lying down to test my mobility and my left leg only raised halfways - everything is just tight as fcuk. Going to see the physo Wed and make an apt with Teran as he has a waiting list of a few months - fingers crossed I won't need it by then though.

I'm probably not doing half enough mobility stuff because I haven't a clue what I'm at and I'm ****e at working from online demos. I need a plan so going to try get that sorted with the guy on Wed. Even if it's just a 'go do an hour of mobility stuff and go home' I don't care, I just want to do something.

Did 30 mins on the crosstrainer. Not sure that was wise, we'll see in the morning.

Ugh, my increasing fatness is getting disturbing now.
29-04-2013, 22:20   #33
TheBellJar
Closed Account

Went to the physio today. Was optimistic going in, but more frustrated than ever leaving to be honest.

He thinks the damage is stemming from the time I fcuked up my lower back deadlifting a few year ago. So it's damage to my general lower back on the left side, around the SI but not isolated to the SI, more lumbar- disc, nerve, etc.

Said there is definite nerve damage and wanted me to get an MRI, but at 200 quid that isn't happening for a while at least. Upper back is stiff so got stretches to work on that to take the pressure off my lumbar spine and also got some lower back stretches. Have to do them for a few weeks and go back to him when I see some improvement.

I asked him about the gym and he said no weight training and couldn't give me a time scale as to when I'll be back at it; apparently could be a few weeks or 6months. In the meantime can do some upper body stuff and crosstrainer. Haven't learnt a whole lot I didn't know but I guess I needed it verified.

So I've these stretches to do until it's feeling a bit better with no timescale and to be honest I'm not really seeing the point right now. Getting back into a proper programme/routine was really important for other reasons so this is a kick in the teeth.

I don't really know what I'm going to do now but there doesn't seem much point updating this anymore.
29-04-2013, 22:54   #34
gymfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBellJar View Post
Went to the physio today. Was optimistic going in, but more frustrated than ever leaving to be honest.

He thinks the damage is stemming from the time I fcuked up my lower back deadlifting a few year ago. So it's damage to my general lower back on the left side, around the SI but not isolated to the SI, more lumbar- disc, nerve, etc.

Said there is definite nerve damage and wanted me to get an MRI, but at 200 quid that isn't happening for a while at least. Upper back is stiff so got stretches to work on that to take the pressure off my lumbar spine and also got some lower back stretches. Have to do them for a few weeks and go back to him when I see some improvement.

I asked him about the gym and he said no weight training and couldn't give me a time scale as to when I'll be back at it; apparently could be a few weeks or 6months. In the meantime can do some upper body stuff and crosstrainer. Haven't learnt a whole lot I didn't know but I guess I needed it verified.

So I've these stretches to do until it's feeling a bit better with no timescale and to be honest I'm not really seeing the point right now. Getting back into a proper programme/routine was really important for other reasons so this is a kick in the teeth.

I don't really know what I'm going to do now but there doesn't seem much point updating this anymore.
Hey, I know that's really disappointing but I have to say when I did all the physio stuff he told me to do for my hip it really started to feel MUCH better and then the squat PBs started to come!

So hang on in there! And get your programme done and hopefully you'll be surprised by the improvements.

Last edited by gymfreak; 29-04-2013 at 22:57. Reason: Im an idiot and didnt read above post
29-04-2013, 22:56   #35
TheBellJar
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymfreak View Post
Hey, that's really disappointing and although it is a set back there is still ways to train around it. I know I'd rather be able to do something rather than nothing!

Did you go to the physio I recommended or did ya find someone else?
Yes, that one.
Advertisement
29-04-2013, 22:59   #36
gymfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBellJar View Post
Yes, that one.
Sorry, Just edited my above post cos Im an idiot and didnt read your log proper

He helped me BIG TIME with my hips...which have since started to get worse since I stopped doing his rehab stuff..started to do it again today though.

Best of luck with it..and keep doing your programme and hopefully you'll be as right as rain in no time.
Thanks from:
30-04-2013, 00:25   #37
COH

Welcome to my world!

Be patient.. train smart and never ever ever give up
Thanks from:
06-05-2013, 20:24   #38
TheBellJar
Closed Account

Started the physio prog today and decided I'll just work on my push ups and pull ups and set goals for those to keep myself going for now.

Physio prog: around 30mins

Push Ups
x15
x15
x15
x10
x10
- going towards 5 sets of 15 and then 5 sets of 20.

Chin Ups (green band)
x6
x6
x6
x6
x4
x4
x4

OH Plate Ext
10kg
x20
x20
x10
-figured this would do no harm so threw it in there.

Crosstrainer: 60mins

Finished up with more mobility work and foam rolling.

This is basically what I'll be doing for the next while til I see some improvements in my back; I have to go back to him then and see where I'm at. But sure it's better than nothing!
07-05-2013, 21:43   #39
TheBellJar
Closed Account

Physio stuff - flew through it today once I knew what I was at.

Then:

Push Ups
x15
x15
x15
x10
x10
- grand.

Chin Ups and Pull Ups - forgot my band so had to use the black one in the gym, it's alot stronger so I upped the reps and alternated.

Chin ups x15
Pull ups x15
Chin ups x15
Pull ups x10

OH Plate Ext
10kg
x20
x20
x10

Seated Bicep Curls
10kg x10
10kg x7
8kg x8
- arms were fcuked!

....boresville

Finished up with more mobility work and foam rolling.
Advertisement
07-05-2013, 21:57   #40
gymfreak

60mins on the Xtrainer...I AM impressed!!!

Don't think Id ever be able for that..nor would my calves appreciate it!
Thanks from:
07-05-2013, 22:07   #41
TheBellJar
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymfreak View Post
60mins on the Xtrainer...I AM impressed!!!

Don't think Id ever be able for that..nor would my calves appreciate it!
My toes go numb when I hit the 30minute mark, I kid you not!
Ah sure, I'd be spending that hour there anyway if I could train properly so I might as well be doing something!
Thanks from:
08-05-2013, 19:02   #42
TheBellJar
Closed Account

Ran through Mobility work at home.

Have abs DOMS today which is surprising, not sure where that's coming from!

Won't get to the gym til Fri/Sat now but as long as I get 3 sessions in this week sure it's a start
11-05-2013, 17:02   #43
TheBellJar
Closed Account

Mobility work, then:

Push Ups
x15
x15
x15
x10
x10

Chin Ups - green band
x6
x6
x6
x6
x3

Tricep dips - elevated
3x10

Made lovely dinner and whilst in process of making lovely dinner had protein shake to curb lovely appetite. But now I'm already full and lovely dinner is sitting looking lovely and I can't ****ing eat it. This is what happens a body when you stop squatting. **** sakes!!!!

Last edited by TheBellJar; 11-05-2013 at 18:51.
12-05-2013, 19:03   #44
TheBellJar
Closed Account

And the award for the most boooring log ever goes to......

Mobility work, then:

Push Ups
x15
x15
x15
x10
x10

Picked a 25kg plate up without thinking, back went straight away. Bit of a reality check

Chin Ups - green band
x7
x7
x7
x3

OH Tricep Ext, 10kg plate
x20
x20
x20
- do more tricep work=get better at tricep work...who'd have guessed it.

Crosstrainer: 60mins: 9.54km

Bloody.Fcuking.Hell. Lesson of the day: do not underestimate the crosstrainer. Normally hover around 8.5k in the hour so decided to up the ante today and go for 10k. Felt my lunch coming up again halfway through and my face was so red I looked like I was about to spontaneously combust. Great craic.
25-05-2013, 13:25   #45
TheBellJar
Closed Account

Mobility work, then:

Push ups
x20
x17
x15
x12
x10

Chin Ups - green band
4x6