Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

26-04-2013, 21:21   #451
gavmcg92

Was checking out the horizon.tv service that UPC are offering. Getting a message telling me that I need to be connected to my UPC broadband service. Do you think this is due to the fact that I'm now going through my own router using the bridge feature?
Advertisement
26-04-2013, 21:35   #452
DECEiFER

Send a message via MSN to DECEiFER Send a message via Skype™ to DECEiFER
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavmcg92 View Post
Was checking out the horizon.tv service that UPC are offering. Getting a message telling me that I need to be connected to my UPC broadband service. Do you think this is due to the fact that I'm now going through my own router using the bridge feature?
Definitely not. I have given it a whirl myself and it's working fine. You do need to be on UPC Broadband and have a TV subscription.

Sometimes UPC IP assignments can be problematic. For example, a friend of mine moved into an apartment recently and signed up with UPC. His UPC IP assigment was uncharacteristic of the area (80.x.x.x instead of 89.x.x.x) and geo-located in Norway (Chello, taken over by Liberty Global like Chorus/NTL, had or has operations in Norway). I told him to bridge his EPC3925 to get a new assignment and to keep it that way until his lease expired, and UPC sorted it out with him over PM to expedite the process, as he really needs to use the EPC3925 in Router mode since he doesn't have a discrete cable router of his own.

Try spoofing/cloning your router's MAC address (if the feature is available) to get a new IP from UPC. Since you're okay to use Bridge mode permanently, because you have a cable router, getting a proper assignment might be simpler for you.
Thanks from:
27-04-2013, 16:35   #453
MHP

Had an EPC3925 delivered today. I have it in Bridge mode and connected to an Airport Express. I notice that the EPC3925 Wireless Link LED is on although wireless is disabled. Shouldn't it be off?

Michael
27-04-2013, 18:39   #454
DECEiFER

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHP View Post
Had an EPC3925 delivered today. I have it in Bridge mode and connected to an Airport Express. I notice that the EPC3925 Wireless Link LED is on although wireless is disabled. Shouldn't it be off?

Michael
Mine looks like this:

LAN @-
|
| Wireless
|
Setup O-

@ = LED on
O = LED off

EDIT: My crappy ASCII art won't show up properly. Hopefully you get the point. The top LED for the LAN is on but the bottom one for Setup is off. Just double check what you've actually disabled in your EPC and see if it changes. Also, try a reboot/power cycle if you haven't already.
27-04-2013, 19:30   #455
MHP

The status page says
Wireless: Mode: disable
DOCSIS WAN: Wireless Network: Disable

The LEDS are
Wireless link: on
Wireless setup: off

I have rebooted the modem but there's no change. It's functioning as it should, giving a steady 50Mbps connection and communicating faultlessly with the router, but yet the wireless link LED glows. Not important, just a niggle.
Advertisement
27-04-2013, 19:32   #456
DECEiFER

Quote:
The status page says
Wireless: Mode: disable
DOCSIS WAN: Wireless Network: Disable

The LEDS are
Wireless link: on
Wireless setup: off

I have rebooted the modem but there's no change. It's functioning as it should, giving a steady 50Mbps connection and communicating faultlessly with the router, but yet the wireless link LED glows. Not important, just a niggle.
I wonder if the EPC3925 has gone through a hardware revision? That's different to my one, in terms of the LEDs, at least. But it certainly looks like you have it off and the Wireless setup LED is off so it seems like that could be what's supposed to happen, though I cannot confirm that for you. Maybe someone else can chime in.
27-04-2013, 19:45   #457
DECEiFER

This is a valuable tip for everyone that still relies on the EPC3925 as a WiFi router:
Thanks from:
27-04-2013, 19:46   #458
MHP

This is what mine looks like
Attached Images
File Type: png epc3925.png (154.0 KB, 58 views)
27-04-2013, 19:50   #459
DECEiFER

Quote:
This is what mine looks like
Hahaha, I'm such an idiot. Or blind. Or both! Mine's the same, I read the LED as "LAN" but it is actually "Link." And mine is on also. No idea why because the WPS and WiFi is disabled like yours is. You're not picking up any broadcast from it on any of your devices, I assume? If not then I wouldn't worry.
Advertisement
27-04-2013, 19:58   #460
MHP

No, nothing being broadcast.

Interesting web site of yours, by the way.
27-04-2013, 20:44   #461
DECEiFER

Quote:
You're grand then. Everything else working out okay with it and your cable router?

Quote:
Which website this that?

EDIT: I see which one I put on my Boards profile now. Ha, yeah, that's an oldie I made when I started learning ActionScript 3.0 in college. It was a Christmas assignment during 2009/2010 and haven't touched it since then. I wouldn't want to anyway, it'd be a nightmare to make changes to, terrible code structure.

Last edited by DECEiFER; 27-04-2013 at 21:25.
28-04-2013, 08:51   #462
MHP

All is well... so far.
28-04-2013, 12:42   #463
frisket

Couple of puzzles

This sounds like exactly what I need, but I'm unclear about the comments about setting "my own cable router to bridge with" the Cisco one after the change. The only cable router I have is the Cisco, and in any case, even if I had a second one, how can both of them be plugged into the cable at the same time?

All I want to do is add two more APs to my network to reach parts of the house that other beers do not reach. I want them bridged because I want them on the same network.
28-04-2013, 18:48   #464
DECEiFER

Quote:
Originally Posted by frisket View Post
This sounds like exactly what I need, but I'm unclear about the comments about setting "my own cable router to bridge with" the Cisco one after the change. The only cable router I have is the Cisco, and in any case, even if I had a second one, how can both of them be plugged into the cable at the same time?

All I want to do is add two more APs to my network to reach parts of the house that other beers do not reach. I want them bridged because I want them on the same network.
If you haven't got a separate router, then what's offered in this thread definitely isn't for you.

You have a EPC3925 router? Then that's a device that has a built-in modem, also. Having a discrete cable router is much different. You use that as, shall we say, an extension to the EPC3925. The modem is what connects you to the Internet and the router is what distributes the connection via the LAN and WiFi to all your devices. The EPC's Router functions (remember, LAN and WiFi) are a bit crap so this is why some of us choose to add a discrete cable router into the fold. But first, we must set the EPC into Bridge mode.

Think of it this way. The EPC3925 has a router and a modem in the one device. Putting the EPC into Bridge mode turns the router part off, therefore the device is acting as a modem only. You need a router but you've turned the EPC's one off, so you use a better-capable discrete cable router and plug it into one of the Ethernet ports on the EPC using a regular network cable. The UPC coaxial cable still only goes through the EPC (modem) but you've now got a better router for all your computers, phones, tablets, consoles, etc., to connect to that gets the Internet feed off the EPC's modem.

Hope that helps you see the sense of it?

If you're happy with the EPC, you'd save time and money by leaving things alone, but something did bring you here and you did say this is exact what you need. So what's happening and how can we help set you in the right direction?
28-04-2013, 20:28   #465
frisket

Quote:
Originally Posted by DECEiFER View Post
If you haven't got a separate router, then what's offered in this thread definitely isn't for you. You have a EPC3925 router?
Yes. My misunderstanding: I didn't realise you were referring to people who already had separate routers. I have plenty of those...
Quote:
Then that's a device that has a built-in modem, also. Having a discrete cable router is much different. You use that as, shall we say, an extension to the EPC3925. The modem is what connects you to the Internet and the router is what distributes the connection via the LAN and WiFi to all your devices. The EPC's Router functions (remember, LAN and WiFi) are a bit crap so this is why some of us choose to add a discrete cable router into the fold. But first, we must set the EPC into Bridge mode.
Yes indeed. I used to have the standatd-UPC-issue separate router and modem until UPC "upgraded" me last year. I have my previous Netgear router still, so I can use that.
Quote:
Think of it this way. The EPC3925 has a router and a modem in the one device. Putting the EPC into Bridge mode turns the router part off, therefore the device is acting as a modem only.
Yes, that's what I need.
Quote:
If you're happy with the EPC, you'd save time and money by leaving things alone, but something did bring you here and you did say this is exact what you need. So what's happening and how can we help set you in the right direction?
Yes, thanks, that solves that problem. I have all I need now. And thanks for the excellent advice.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion