info on slane river walkway please. - Page 2 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

01-03-2013, 09:08   #16
Scotty #

Quote:
Originally Posted by MugMugs View Post
I've certainly kayaked from Navan to Drogheda however walking it would seriously daunt me!
This is an ambition of mine but I haven't started kayaking yet. If I was able I'd do this every weekend!

According to here... http://boyne.iwai.ie/. Work starts on the Oldbridge lock again next week.
Advertisement
01-03-2013, 10:57   #17
MugMugs
Hosted Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by feck sake lads View Post
had you a camera with you by any chance. must have been a great trip .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty # View Post
This is an ambition of mine but I haven't started kayaking yet. If I was able I'd do this every weekend!
It's actually not a very taxing trip to be honest.

The views are however splendid especially toward the Slane part of the trip. Some of the weirs can be extremely hazardous if you're not experienced but anything after Slane is generally handy enough. We got out at Ship Street but took an obligatory paddle under the Railway Bridge in Drogheda first to say we had. A very impressive structure indeed, more so than the Boyne Valley Bridge. All in all a nice day out and a great bit of shoulder work too. Got some very strange looks from the Drogheda locals paddling through their fair town.
(2) thanks from:
01-03-2013, 13:09   #18
kormak

Not getting off topic here but I often wondered why paddlers don't generally kayak from Slane to Drogheda? Is no weirs or is there a safety issue here?
I would Curley Hole could be a bit hazardous given it's currents and whirlpools!!
I've kayaked the Stackallen to Slane Bridge route a good few times and It's beautiful. by the way, there is a walkway on the South side of the river along by Beauparc House.
500mtrs down from Beauparc House is "the big A" maasive weir which can be great fun going over in a kayak. You'll hear this weir before you see it!!
01-03-2013, 13:35   #19
MugMugs
Hosted Moderator

The main level of "fun" is between Stackallen Bridge and Slane Bridge. That's where all of the main weirs are and the "Whitewater" too. It's also stunning as you have already said.

The Big A is a well known weir in the paddling community and has had it's fair share of accident's in the past. One being the near drowning of a local Drogheda man not so long ago. It's like any river element though, know what you're dealing with and ensure you respect it and you'll be fine.

After Slane, with the exception of Newgrange, there isn't much there. There are a few small weirs overgrown to some degree due to lack of use and it's just a big long flat stretch of river. A lot of todays Kayaks aren't really geared toward flat water and more so toward Whitewater. There's a bigger resistance on the hull of these boats to improve their handing in moving water which makes for flat water being a bit more difficult to push the boat through.

The curley hole really doesn't present much of an issue to a Kayaker. It may take a few extra strokes to get out of but isn't half as lethal to a Kayaker wearing all of their safety gear.

I know Drogheda have Silverbridge Kayak Club based up river from the bridge of peace and I have met numerous racers from that club out on that stretch of river before. There's also the element of the closer you get to a large town like Drogheda, you also encounter more pipes ditching into the river and at times, a distinct smell. I naturally hope that it's all processed but that too can be off putting to a kayaker who may well be dipping their head into the water.
Thanks from:
01-03-2013, 14:07   #20
kormak

Quote:
The main level of "fun" is between Stackallen Bridge and Slane Bridge. That's where all of the main weirs are and the "Whitewater" too. It's also stunning as you have already said.

The Big A is a well known weir in the paddling community and has had it's fair share of accident's in the past. One being the near drowning of a local Drogheda man not so long ago. It's like any river element though, know what you're dealing with and ensure you respect it and you'll be fine.

After Slane, with the exception of Newgrange, there isn't much there. There are a few small weirs overgrown to some degree due to lack of use and it's just a big long flat stretch of river. A lot of todays Kayaks aren't really geared toward flat water and more so toward Whitewater. There's a bigger resistance on the hull of these boats to improve their handing in moving water which makes for flat water being a bit more difficult to push the boat through.

The curley hole really doesn't present much of an issue to a Kayaker. It may take a few extra strokes to get out of but isn't half as lethal to a Kayaker wearing all of their safety gear.

I know Drogheda have Silverbridge Kayak Club based up river from the bridge of peace and I have met numerous racers from that club out on that stretch of river before. There's also the element of the closer you get to a large town like Drogheda, you also encounter more pipes ditching into the river and at times, a distinct smell. I naturally hope that it's all processed but that too can be off putting to a kayaker who may well be dipping their head into the water.
I've paddled before with SBKC and hope to get out again.
The Big A is mental alright, I have heard of a couple of close ones there in the past.
The reason I ask though is I would like to try out a paddle from Slane to say Oldbridge sometime. Just for the scenery really and nothing else!
Advertisement
01-03-2013, 14:50   #21
MugMugs
Hosted Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kormak View Post
I would like to try out a paddle from Slane to say Oldbridge sometime. Just for the scenery really and nothing else!
It's perfectly safe just make sure you're equipped and have people with you that know what their at.

I'd like to paddle out to sea from Slane through Drogheda some day I've got a GoPro so will document it here if I ever do it
Thanks from:
01-03-2013, 14:57   #22
kormak

Quote:
It's perfectly safe just make sure you're equipped and have people with you that know what their at.

I'd like to paddle out to sea from Slane through Drogheda some day I've got a GoPro so will document it here if I ever do it
ah yeah, I don't think I'd ever paddle in a group smaller than 3.
I have mates who paddled a Canadian Canoe from Staleen in Donore right out to the Boyne estuary @ Mornington.
Took them a full (really hot) Summers day and they even managed to stop off in Drogheda for chips, dragging the canoe with them! lol
Thanks from:
01-03-2013, 15:39   #23
Scotty #

lol... McDonalds Drive (or paddle) Thru!

I'm living on the banks of the Boyne for 8 years and only saw kayakers on it for the first time a few weeks ago. Early on a Saturday morning up near the end of the Ramparts. The club you are talking about obviously.
01-03-2013, 15:41   #24
kormak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty # View Post
lol... McDonalds Drive (or paddle) Thru!

I'm living on the banks of the Boyne for 8 years and only saw kayakers on it for the first time a few weeks ago. Early on a Saturday morning up near the end of the Ramparts. The club you are talking about obviously.
maybe... Silver Bridge paddling is generally on Sunday mornings and starts @ Ardmulchan in Stackallen.
Advertisement
01-03-2013, 16:58   #25
feck sake lads
Closed Account

do you need permission to paddle the river
i met two canadians in a canadian loaded for bear obviously they were camping on the river bank. ah thats about 7 years ago but they were having a great time .
anyway lads is this cycleway going to happen, those boys that work on the canal are only part timers just keeping that boyne canal stretch in good order no more than that.
02-03-2013, 19:03   #26
MugMugs
Hosted Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by feck sake lads View Post
do you need permission to paddle the river
It's only trespass when you touch the bank. Ireland has some really good laws in favour of paddling.
02-03-2013, 21:44   #27
feck sake lads
Closed Account

Quote:
It's only trespass when you touch the bank. Ireland has some really good laws in favour of paddling.
wow didn't know that but a fella can't stay on the water all the time.
Thanks from:
03-03-2013, 19:02   #28
TO_ARTHUR!

I hope one day that we will be able to walk the whole way through the town, along the boyne on a walkway but I think it's a long way off.
03-03-2013, 19:10   #29
feck sake lads
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by TO_ARTHUR! View Post
I hope one day that we will be able to walk the whole way through the town, along the boyne on a walkway but I think it's a long way off.
not on my lifetime. i was up there today first time you could actually walk the whole way without sinking in muck. hell of a lot of people there today .
03-03-2013, 19:25   #30
TO_ARTHUR!

During the boom, I was surprised that the old buildings a part of which is Cagneys, where going to be redeveloped and perhaps a walkway be built behind them to connect up with the haymarket bridge but alas the moment has passed.
I don't hold out much hope for the other side of the river

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion