Getting wee out of carpet - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

24-11-2012, 00:05   #1
kylith

Getting wee out of carpet

Tegan had a bit of an accident in the living room and I need to get wee out of the carpet. If it were a hard floor I'd use bio washing liquid, but I'm not sure what to do with carpet. Any advice welcome.
Advertisement
24-11-2012, 00:38   #2
aisher

Buy a product called Rug Doctor Urine Eliminator - I got one from Woodies and it works wonders - no smell and leaves no stains.
24-11-2012, 09:00   #3
lorebringer

We treat pee with one of two things - either an enzyme cleaner from the pet store or bio washing detergent in warm water. I use a "colour" washing detergent so it doesn't fade the carpet but be careful if you are using one with a brightener in it, maybe test it out on a hidden part of the carpet. Scrub the living bejesus out of the carpet, bang with dry towels, rinse and bang again (I tend to put a towel down and jump up and down on it). This may need to be repeated if the smell doesn't come out but it's the only way I have gotten pee out of carpet totally!
24-11-2012, 10:23   #4
sambuka41

The best thing for the smell is Bread Soda. My guy decided that he wanted to pee all around his litter tray, even though we have a piece of lino under it, some got to the carpet. Not pleasant.

I just washed with warm water and used kitchen towel to dry it out and soak up the excess then sprinkle bread soda, leave for a few hours then hoover. It worked wonders, the smell of cat pee is so strong I didn't think it would work but my mammy assured me And she was right
24-11-2012, 11:32   #5
kylith

Would the bread soda get rid of the ammonia though?
Advertisement
24-11-2012, 11:48   #6
sambuka41

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylith View Post
Would the bread soda get rid of the ammonia though?
To be honest I'm not sure how exactly it works. I washed the wee first, a few times to be sure that the water was coming clear and then the bread soda neutralised the smell somehow?

With my guy if I was to try wash that with anything else other than water, he feels obligated to wee in the spot again. (I ended up throwing out a futon before I realised that!!) I find water works best, keep it hot enough that it doesn't discolour my cheap carpet and dry out with kitchen towel.
24-11-2012, 11:53   #7
gavsmith

Bread soda is great.
Then wash with carpet cleaner.
My pug pi**ed on bedroom carpet (after gf warned me not to let her in to bedroom)
I managed to get rid of it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambuka41 View Post

To be honest I'm not sure how exactly it works. I washed the wee first, a few times to be sure that the water was coming clear and then the bread soda neutralised the smell somehow?

With my guy if I was to try wash that with anything else other than water, he feels obligated to wee in the spot again. (I ended up throwing out a futon before I realised that!!) I find water works best, keep it hot enough that it doesn't discolour my cheap carpet and dry out with kitchen towel.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion