Is this cull cow fit for kill or sell in mart - Page 2 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

08-11-2012, 15:32   #16
Bodacious

Verdict ; O+ 4+, 326.5 kg @ 320p E1044 ABP Waterford, happy with that as easiest option, very busy with work and just let her off.

She got fed for 4 weeks on beef nuts but at 4+ fat score did she need it?!
(5) thanks from:
Advertisement
08-11-2012, 19:58   #17
poor farmer

Does that mean that she came into around a grand.
Great thread.
08-11-2012, 20:10   #18
Bodacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by poor farmer View Post
Does that mean that she came into around a grand.
Great thread.
Yep, E1010.51 after deductions, paid 1100 in 2008 for her with good simm bull calf at foot, got 2 char bull calves out of her and she lost a simm bull this year but reared a suck so she owed me nothing at this stage.
Thanks from:
08-11-2012, 21:26   #19
Farmer Pudsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodacious View Post
Verdict ; O+ 4+, 326.5 kg @ 320p E1044 ABP Waterford, happy with that as easiest option, very busy with work and just let her off.

She got fed for 4 weeks on beef nuts but at 4+ fat score did she need it?!
Did you get a price rise compared to what you would have sold her for four weeks ago. Did she eat much beef nuts. Do you think in the four weeks did she put on much weight. She would have weighted I think between 620-650 liveweight. How much nuts and how much did they cost I do not thinh you got a price rise in the meantime. If you had to feed her silage as well you were losing if not you made money not a lot but a little provided she was on less that 4kg/day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodacious View Post
Yep, E1010.51 after deductions, paid 1100 in 2008 for her with good simm bull calf at foot, got 2 char bull calves out of her and she lost a simm bull this year but reared a suck so she owed me nothing at this stage.
You should cost her against a replacment not against her cost 4 years ago.
08-11-2012, 22:31   #20
Bodacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Pudsey View Post
Did you get a price rise compared to what you would have sold her for four weeks ago. Did she eat much beef nuts. Do you think in the four weeks did she put on much weight. She would have weighted I think between 620-650 liveweight. How much nuts and how much did they cost I do not thinh you got a price rise in the meantime. If you had to feed her silage as well you were losing if not you made money not a lot but a little provided she was on less that 4kg/day.

Hi Pudsey,

yeah i not sure if i gained anything by feeding her for the 4 weeks because she was in fair condition as it was when i posted the first picture.. but what id like to know is fat score of 4+ excessive ie would O+ 3= have paid me more? she ate probably E50 worth of nuts. I have to stress though this is my smallest cow and is by no means a big framed continental cull cow, 700 would test her in the mart IMO

Hi Pudsey,

yeah i not sure if i gained anything by feeding her for the 4 weeks because she was in fair condition as it was when i posted the first picture.. but what id like to know is fat score of 4+ excessive ie would O+ 3= have paid me more? she ate probably E50 worth of nuts and no silage, all grass. I have to stress though this is my smallest cow and is by no means a big framed continental cull cow, 700 would test her in the mart IMO
You should cost her against a replacment not against her cost 4 years ago.
I understand fully what you are saying here...I would though if i needed her get a similar spring calving springer in my area for E1100 but i knew in May she was out the gate, i have in calf heifers that would be better anyway, i bought in heifers also but none cost over a 1000 to get to calving next spring stage

Last edited by Bodacious; 08-11-2012 at 22:39.
Advertisement
09-11-2012, 19:14   #21
tanko

I know its almost a month later and she got some nuts, but i wasnt too far out after all. You were lucky she didnt go into a 5 for fat. In my experience when you bring a cow like her to a factory, they will always say that the cow is a grade or two less in conformation and a grade or two more in fat than you expect her to be.

According to this weeks journal, for last weeks factory prices, ABP Waterford paid 310 c/kg for 0=4+ cows. The national average was 327. I reckon she would have made the same price per kilo a month ago.
09-11-2012, 21:28   #22
Bodacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanko View Post
I know its almost a month later and she got some nuts, but i wasnt too far out after all. You were lucky she didnt go into a 5 for fat. In my experience when you bring a cow like her to a factory, they will always say that the cow is a grade or two less in conformation and a grade or two more in fat than you expect her to be.

According to this weeks journal, for last weeks factory prices, ABP Waterford paid 310 c/kg for 0=4+ cows. The national average was 327. I reckon she would have made the same price per kilo a month ago.
hi Tanko,

Yep you were bang on, county gorey and bizzum were very close also!

I kinda thought of letting her off when I took the picture and still not sure whether I should have killed her then? I breed and sell weanlings ... No great experience of finishing
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion