Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

[Photographer Profile] #3 MaggyM

• 14-10-2012 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

The idea of these threads is to give some insight as to how some of your fellow photographers operate. Each person invited will write about their photography and provide some examples. This thread will be sticky for about a fortnight (longer if needed) During this time feel free to comment and ask questions. Please allow the subject to answer questions and do not do so on their behalf.
    While this process is taking place, the subject will approach the next person to be highlighted. Please keep this secret and do not prompt.
    All normal site and forum rules apply.

Hi, My name is Maggy Morrissey and photography is what I most like to spend my time doing, to be honest I couldn't imagine my life without it now. Landscape, architecture, and macro would probably be my favourite types of photography to do, but I enjoy looking at all types of imagery.

My love affair with all things photography began not that long ago in 2007 when I bought my first digital camera. I used to paint (very badly) and I bought the camera to take photographs of scenes I wanted to paint. It didn't take long for the photography to take over, actually it was pretty instant. With a technical background, I think maybe photography hit a nice mix of technical and creative for me.

5502789656_bfb1cc3bc2.jpg

FF44AD5CF64D4F18A9525FEFA2B6065F-0000318759-0002232500-00500L-F961AFC4E15F4548A2A661F432C0A911.jpg

My photography education started with a book called 'DSLR's for Dummies' (I'm not kidding), paired with a lot of googling, and then I did a night course with IOP. I also spent a lot of time taking bad photos! The instant feedback from a digital camera, and the wealth of information on the internet, make it so so much easier to learn, not to mention all the online communities like boards.ie, where you can ask questions and get answers back instantly. I have so much admiration for anyone who learned photography only using film. In my student days I borrowed an SLR from my brother, but after paying a small fortune to have 5 rolls of very badly exposed photos developed, I figured I would probably starve trying to learn. Having taken the relatively easy route to learning photography with digital, I've recently started to experiment with film. My Holga exposures are not fit for publication yet though and my film developing skills need a lot of practice :)

My favourite way to learn, or play with photography, is to set myself little projects with a deadline. For example I might set myself a deadline of a few hours, a week, or a month, to shoot a series of 3, 5, or 10 photos on a theme that could be as concrete as 'white flowers', or 'laundry', or as vague as '3', or using one focal length, or a technique I wanted to learn. The challenge is to make all the photos work together as a set. I would say that without a doubt, this helped my photography the most.

DD7264775E264B8B8C5BD05F42CE032D-0000318759-0002759089-00500L-3AEE06DA61064BDBA4218B18085EF47D.jpg

5812783634_70bb70ebe8.jpg

8E3F91333A484176BEB93E4A92F6989E-0000318759-0002778770-00500L-756CCE3E843948BDBAE87C0F07461D47.jpg

I also go through phases where I don't like the photos i'm taking and feel like I'll never take another photo that I like again. When this happens I try to just keep taking photos anyway and just enjoy the process without caring about the outcome, and trust that it will turn around, which it always does.

6329209193_9c9f5ec5c6.jpg

I love the whole process of taking photographs as much as the end result. I enjoy arriving at a location and nosing around while getting a feel for the place, getting lost in framing things in my head and figuring out how best to photograph something. I have always found photography to be a very calming and soothing activity, and I hope that my photographs are beginning to reflect that. My favourite time of day to photograph landscapes is dawn, not just because of the light, but also the calm quietness at that time of the day.

On the subject of style, I don't know if I have one but I have a good idea what I like and how I want the final image to look. In general, I like simple compositions with clean elegant lines and very few elements. I would have a preference for black and white, as it helps simplify things even further. Having said that, I've recently been playing with colour and texture in photographs and it's surprising how much I'm enjoying it. I also love the simplicity of the square format and nearly all my photographs would be composed with that in mind. I'm sure my taste will continue to develop, and with that my photographs, so I'm looking forward to experimenting and seeing how it changes.

5039252287_c276441b4f.jpg

6850205122_35009f8f5f.jpg

In terms of post pressing, I use both photoshop and lightroom, although I find myself using photoshop less and less as I get to know lightroom more. Like my photos, I prefer to keep my processing simple, but will do what is needed to get the image to look the way I want it to. I enjoy this aspect of photography too and it feels like polishing something to bring out it's best features.

7131114423_690416e1b2.jpg

7171323024_2fc59ccd0a.jpg

8073666839_86cc71c4c9.jpg

Up until the last year or so I would only occasionally print images, but now it's an essential part of my workflow and a good print is the ultimate aim for me. When I started printing more of my photographs, I had to go back and re-edit quite a few of them. Mostly, I found the prints too dark which was largely due to my monitor being too bright! I even found the odd photograph that I liked on screen, but just didn't work for me as a print, and vica versa.

CC3DFDFE9CFF4C028684AE554FEA7340-0000318759-0003042910-00500L-94E6C3DC870F48579EAE81AC4915A0BC.jpg

7640278694_f419b412b1.jpg

If you want to see a bit more of my work, the website is www.MaggyMorrissey.com, but be warned it is still work in progress. There is also a blog section here but as you have probably guessed by now, my writing skills are not great:) There is also a Facebook page here.

Thanks for reading this far and if anyone has any questions I'll do my best to answer them.

MaggyM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭lisatiffany

Fantastic work Maggy and a really fascinating read = )

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Wonderful profile Maggie. Who says you cannot write well?

A lot of your outdoor photographs seem to be shot with mist. Do you wait for these days or is this an effect in Post Processing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

I have a question :) you have a very distinct style. Is that something you came to gradually or was it from the start? And how did you come by it - happy accident or deliberate choice?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭MaggyM

CabanSail wrote: »
    A lot of your outdoor photographs seem to be shot with mist. Do you wait for these days or is this an effect in Post Processing?

A lot of early mornings and watching the weather forecast. I suspect it would be quite difficult to do in post processing as you would have different degrees of visibility at different depths of within an image. We don't seem to get that much fog in Dublin though. I'm regularly disappointed when I think I see fog, only to realise it is just condensation on my bedroom window :) I'm not very bright first thing in the morning!
    sineadw wrote: »
    I have a question :) you have a very distinct style. Is that something you came to gradually or was it from the start? And how did you come by it - happy accident or deliberate choice?

I'm going to find this one difficult to answer as I find it hard to see a style in my own images. I just simply set out with the intention to create an image I like. I don't know if talking about my taste and what I like is the same as style, but it's the only way I know how to answer this.

I think what I like in a photograph may have changed over the last few years but I think it is more a case of having developed a better understanding of what I like and knowing how to achieve it technically. As a kid I always liked a strange combination of any cheese and any jam together, but as I got older my taste refined and now only the combination of apple jelly and Roquefort cheese will do - and I might taste a new cheese next week and refine it even further :)

I know it may sound a bit odd to most people, but I will often like an image, yet find it hard to articulate what it is that I like about it (the word allergy thing again). Sometimes I will take an photograph that I like due to some happy accident or experimenting with a new technique, and then I'd quite deliberately try to understand, develop and recreate what it was that I liked about the happy accident.

I don't know if this answers the question better, but I just had a look back over my flickr and pixie accounts from the start to now and I can see both similarities and differences. I think my preference for simple uncluttered compositions (jam and cheese:) ) was probably always there, just maybe not to the same extreme. The images have also become softer, brighter and more subtle in the last few years.

So, that would suggest a gradual development from a certain starting point and happy accidents followed by deliberate choice :D

Does any of that make any sense? Hopefully I'll be able to answer this better in a few years!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

do you sell your stuff, maggy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,570 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Fantastic work Maggy and a really fascinating read = )

agree , but i really love the first image - excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

damn fine photography.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

We chatted for a bit at Peoples Photography and I must say your stuff looks fantastic in the flesh. Nothing like seeing it printed big and on display, so I'm just wondering what sort of reaction did you get at PP2012 from the passing public?

do you sell your stuff, maggy?

Yes I sell prints through my website. I don't sell enough to make a living ('yet' says the dreamer in me ). Most of the people who buy my prints would be in America, and to a lesser extent some European countries. I really don't have a clue how to go about marketing them though - still waiting for divine inspiration on that one!

We chatted for a bit at Peoples Photography and I must say your stuff looks fantastic in the flesh. Nothing like seeing it printed big and on display, so I'm just wondering what sort of reaction did you get at PP2012 from the passing public?

The reaction was really good at the Peoples Photography weekend Denis, but to be honest, it's only the people who really like the work that will stop to say it.
    The biggest kick I got was a guy out for his morning jog who slowed down to look at photographs and then ran into someone because he wasn't looking where he was going:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I by chance went thru Maggie's pixie last night and she really is a great photographer and the subjects she shoots are not my really type of photography but she does it so well I really do like it.

I also like how you write too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

I'm bookmarking your site. I love all them all!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Firstly- stunning photos. Different from the norm and the simplicity of B&W works very well.

If you don't mind me asking....you say most people who buy are Americans. How do they find your site, have you promoted it to Americans specifically?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Where is photographer profiles #1 and #2 located?

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭EyeBlinks

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056769670

and

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=80806022

Would be nice if they were all in one spot alright !

dinneenp wrote: »
    If you don't mind me asking....you say most people who buy are Americans. How do they find your site, have you promoted it to Americans specifically?

People have contacted me through Flickr and other online sharing websites but I don't know how people coming directly through the website find me. I should start asking them! One of my American clients is in the interior designer business in LA and I got a good few sales through him. I don't promote at all (yet) except for sharing online etc - I'm still getting to grips with that aspect of things…..

Links to the first two profiles are here:

[Photographer Profile] #1 DaireQuinlan

[Photographer Profile] #2 Sineadw

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Hello Maggy, love your photos, the simple style works really well.

I'm just wondering, besides shooting in fog and/or with long exposures, do you
    shoot under other conditions? I mean, do you always stick to the one style?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭inkedpt

The first time I saw your photos my brain kind of stopped. Basically entered a perpetual "wow" after "wow" coincident with what I saw, picture after picture. After reading a bit about yourself and the responses to other members I realize that the minimalism represented in your photos are the end result of a determined and extensive work. More than a photographer, you are a true artist with exceptional fine art photography and I find your work just stunning.
    On the commercial related aspect and without any proof I believe that Japan could be a good bet, somehow I have that feeling.
    On the fact that fog is almost a rarity I found the answer for that here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhZ_pn6cR7w&feature=related :cool:

R.Silva

kelly1 wrote: »
    I'm just wondering, besides shooting in fog and/or with long exposures, do you
    shoot under other conditions? I mean, do you always stick to the one style?
    White I would have a preference for overcast days, I will photograph landscapes under other conditions, but blue skies at noon is probably not one of them:) On those days I would usually concentrate on macro type images.
    inkedpt wrote: »
    On the fact that fog is almost a rarity I found the answer for that here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhZ_pn6cR7w&feature=related :cool:

Thanks for those very kind words - you actually made me blush:o Love that fog link - I think I would need a skip full of dry ice to fill some of my locations!

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭ozymandius

This is a great series.

Maggie, just wondering about your BW process. Do you generally do it all in Lightroom (or Photoshop) - working the sliders? Do you have your own presets, or do you use the likes of Nik's plugins?

Love your work, the spareness and the suppressed movement really work for me.

ozymandius wrote: »
    Maggie, just wondering about your BW process. Do you generally do it all in Lightroom (or Photoshop) - working the sliders? Do you have your own presets, or do you use the likes of Nik's plugins?

For the B&W, yes it is mostly lightroom and sometimes photoshop. I don't use presets or actions as i prefer to know exactly what I am changing. Having said that, I did find them useful when I started out to give me an idea of what I could do with the software and you could look in the preset file and see what settings it was changing.
    I did try Nik Silver Efex but I didn't really take to it either. I think I just learned how to use a few tools and stuck with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

When I first read that the 'photographer profiles' were starting, I really, really hoped to see yours. I was not dissapointed! Great work!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

Wow- what a well written and compelling post.

Your work has its own totally identifiable 'brand' - a hard thing to achieve these days of huge digital pic output-- and I just love it.

If you ever scroll down a 'Random' page and one of your photos happens to be there - it just shouts at you- 'this is a MaggyM' photo.

And you can't help but say ... 'Another classic from MaggyM'.

Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭EyeBlinks

What if any plans/ambitions do you have ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

I don't have any questions, just wanted to say how much I'm enjoying these profiles - the posts, the pictures and the Q&A have all been really interesting on each of the three so far.

EyeBlinks wrote: »
    What if any plans/ambitions do you have ?

The plan is simply to keep taking photographs I like and try to challenge myself more often. To manage to make a living out of doing that would be the ultimate dream I suppose:)

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭gerk86

Really great work Maggy. I'm delighted you've been given this chance to share and talk about your work as I've been a fan for a while.

2007 isn't that long ago so I'm impressed you've been able to develop such a unique and consistent style.

Oh, and how often are you in Venice!?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I really love your work, Maggie. I think your style of writing fits in well with the pictures too, clean and simple.
    I'm a bit of a nut when it comes to keeping things uncluttered, something I've a lot to learn about in my photography mind but your work is a real inspiration to me.
    I look forward to seeing more work from you. :)

Thanks very much everyone for all the very kind words:o
    gerk86 wrote: »
    Oh, and how often are you in Venice!?
    I have been just twice, once early 2011 and then March this year... and I'm hoping to visit again soon:) It really is a stunningly beautiful city - I don't think I could ever get tired of visiting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

Completely missed all these photographer profiles and am just catching up now (life has been a blur of spew and tears for the last 3 months). Very much enjoying these.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,197 ✭✭✭secman

Hi Maggie,

Absolutely beautiful prints, as a matter of interest what camera kit do you use ?

Secman

Advertisement