good wifi signal booster required for the family home - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

14-06-2012, 10:31   #1
eurotrotter

Send a message via MSN to eurotrotter
good wifi signal booster required for the family home

Hi guys

hope yer all well

my dad has an ipad and a crappy windows 7 laptop from dell.

both device struggle to receive the wifi signal in the conservatory in our family home.

The wireless router is upstairs and quite the distance from the conservatory (and cannot be relocated to somewhere near the conservatory).

I heard that you can buy signal boosters that will amplify the signal and in this case, offer acceptably quick internet in the conservatory.

I am wondering if someone can recommend a signal booster.

If it matters, the family home is running on UPC internet.

Thanks,
Ed
Advertisement
19-06-2012, 02:10   #2
Cork24
Banned

http://homestore.cisco.eu/store/cisc...oryID.57098300
19-06-2012, 14:08   #3
PogMoThoin
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cork24 View Post
Range extenders/repeaters half the throughput of your original network and add lots of latency, they don't tell you in the small print. I avoid them, nothing but trouble.
Thanks from:
20-06-2012, 19:39   #4
Alun

You can also get homeplug/powerline based extenders. They're not cheap though.

See http://tinyurl.com/6jentkb for an example.

In this case you're creating a separate wifi network and connecting this through your houses mains wiring to an ethernet port on your router.
20-06-2012, 21:02   #5
kindalen

have same issue with upc router, get signal but can be weak.
was going to try a better antenna first? any good ones for the cisco router?
Advertisement
20-06-2012, 21:36   #6
PogMoThoin
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alun View Post
In this case you're creating a separate wifi network and connecting this through your houses mains wiring to an ethernet port on your router.
You don't need to do this, you can give this wireless the same SSID and encryption type as the original wifi router and key and your laptops phone etc will roam from one to the other
21-09-2012, 22:31   #7
bikie1280

Hi, forgive my stupidity but if you connect one of the home plugs to the original router via the eternet cable will the wifi signal then be available ( and stronger) in the room that you plug the second homeplug into? Thanks
24-09-2012, 22:30   #8
FoxT
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikie1280 View Post
Hi, forgive my stupidity but if you connect one of the home plugs to the original router via the eternet cable will the wifi signal then be available ( and stronger) in the room that you plug the second homeplug into? Thanks
That is correct. Another option is to run a cable from the existing wireless router to a point that is closer to the conservatory, and install a new wifi Access point.

Here's an example of one (NOTE: I have not used this myself, but I would if in your position)

http://www.dabs.ie/products/edimax-e...20point&src=16

If you do this, you should configure the wireless router AND the access point so that they use different channels. Confusingly, it is not sufficient to make sure the channel numbers are different - they should be at least 5 channels apart - so you could run one of them on channel 1, the other on any channel higher than 6.

If you have the scope to wire a couple of metres closer, then this would be worth a try.

I have seen powerline/homeplug work well, too. Many adaptors do not have wi-fi, though, so be careful which one you choose.

Whether using a powerline adaptor or installing another access point, i'd recommend that you choose one that supports 802.11n , to at least 150Mbps.

Hope this all isnt too complicated!

Cheers, FoxT
Thanks from:
24-09-2012, 22:39   #9
syklops

To complicate things even further, and by the way, thanks to the poster who said wifi extenders affect latency and network performance.

I noticed this morning when reading the news on my phone before I got up that I was not connected via wifi to my network, but instead to the pub downstairs. Fine for the news, but I dont really want anyone else on the network able to sniff my email credentials.

What I have decided to do, is get a wireless to ethernet bridge, and a second Wireless AP. I'll set up both in my hallway area, and it should be enough to boost it into the bedroom.

This would also be a possible solution for the OP.
Advertisement
06-09-2013, 15:31   #10
leeballs

Sorry but i am not really understanding all this.

I have a wireless internet modem and want to receive a better signal at a different location in the house.

You guys are saying that boosters are not the way to go? From what i have read homeplugs and powerlines can cause problems.

What do you guys think about something like this?
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/WiFi-Antenna-...item20d6b097d5

Thanks

Last edited by leeballs; 06-09-2013 at 15:35.
06-09-2013, 18:48   #11
smee again
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeballs View Post
Sorry but i am not really understanding all this.

I have a wireless internet modem and want to receive a better signal at a different location in the house.

You guys are saying that boosters are not the way to go? From what i have read homeplugs and powerlines can cause problems.

What do you guys think about something like this?
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/WiFi-Antenna-...item20d6b097d5

Thanks
Wireless is two way traffic, the above might work if you add one to your router and a second attached to your laptop or device

TBH, as already said, you should just run cable or use homeplugs to get a connection to the other room, then add an AP (on a channel well away from existing) covering that area. These ones come with a built in AP.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-W...homeplugs+wifi
07-09-2013, 00:10   #12
leeballs

Ok thanks for the info,

I purchased http://www.ebay.com/itm/310542389849...84.m1439.l2648

I will report back when i get it

Thanks.
07-09-2013, 01:13   #13
smee again
Banned

Quote:
Ok thanks for the info,

I purchased http://www.ebay.com/itm/310542389849...84.m1439.l2648

I will report back when i get it

Thanks.
That's a repeater not a home plug AP
07-09-2013, 07:58   #14
leeballs

hmm are they not the same thing or do they not work on the same principle? sorry if these are stupid questions. when i see a plug socket i would presume the signal is transported through the electrical conductor
07-09-2013, 10:56   #15
smee again
Banned

Quote:
hmm are they not the same thing or do they not work on the same principle? sorry if these are stupid questions. when i see a plug socket i would presume the signal is transported through the electrical conductor
No, the clue is in the word, repeater. Homeplugs use your electrical circuitry to connect to your router, you use them in pairs. This is just a repeater, the plug connector is just for power, it connects to your original router by wireless which as already mentioned in this thread has it's issues (halves throughput and high latency)

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion