Best Hunter S Thompson? - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

01-09-2012, 20:56   #1
Waestrel

Best Hunter S Thompson?

I have read, re read and loved Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by this man. His style is unlike any one else's. What is the most quintessentially "Hunter" work? I would like to steer away from any of his sport or political works, as the the setting of mid 70 american politics or sports journalism is a but hard to relate to. But I need his talk of swine, weaponry, and drug cocktails to inspire and amuse
Advertisement
01-09-2012, 21:39   #2
black and amber

my personal favourite is 'hells angels' about his time spent following the gang around, highly recommended. also 'the rum diary' although thats a fictional novel. i also love 'the proud highway' which is a collection of his letters to random people, should'nt be so entertaining but it is! have to say anything by hunter is fantastic! hope this helps.
(4) thanks from:
02-09-2012, 00:30   #3
Aenaes

I read The Rum Diary recently. I didn't think it was my sort of book - my brother persuaded me to read it - but it's very good.
04-09-2012, 04:28   #4
OakeyDokey

I've only read Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas but I absolutely loved it! I don't know why I haven't downloaded some more of his book. *runs to Amazon*
04-09-2012, 04:49   #5
Rosy Posy

I'd second the hells angels book- its pure savagery. I really enjoyed his short pieces as well. One in particular that stands out is his birthday 'prank' on Jack Nicholson, in Kingdom of Fear AFAIR.
Advertisement
06-09-2012, 12:48   #6
old gregg

It's been 35 years but I remember parts of the Great Shark Hunt to be pretty good. And you get to read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ken...t_and_Depraved
09-09-2012, 13:57   #7
Giselle
Closed Account

I've just started his Hell's Angels book, and I'm hooked. I've already lined up Rum Diaries to read next.

The only other Thompson book I've read is Fear and Loathing and I loved it too.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion