Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

26-10-2011, 19:27   #1
shane9689

Send a message via MSN to shane9689 Send a message via Yahoo to shane9689 Send a message via Skype™ to shane9689
UCC music entrance test HELP ME!

i know this has been posted before, but that was 5 years ago.
Ive previously done the UCC music entrance test but i wasn't really prepared and i failed. I'm applying again this year, so does anyone have any advice? (especially on the composition part, irish music in particular)..

Thanks
Advertisement
26-10-2011, 19:34   #2
Mr.S

Better suited to the UCC forum I think?
Thanks from:
26-10-2011, 19:36   #3
shane9689

Send a message via MSN to shane9689 Send a message via Yahoo to shane9689 Send a message via Skype™ to shane9689
yeah, maybe i shouldn't have posted it here....... i just put it into all the relevant category's sorry
26-10-2011, 19:39   #4
Léan

Send a message via MSN to Léan
I can't help you with Irish music composition. But with the general composition question, a good idea is to demonstrate basic knowledge of the cycle of fifths, work within a key, keep it simple, add some passing notes, maybe a bit of modulation. Develop a formula for yourself and stick to it.
Thanks from:
26-10-2011, 19:58   #5
shane9689

okay thanks, ill consider that question too.... any other advice?
I find it difficult to comprehend what they are looking for in the entrance exam, i feel confident i have the knowledge but after failing it last year I'm determined to get it right this year.
thank you

(btw you weren't in a band called kvx by any chance?)
Advertisement
26-10-2011, 21:00   #6
Léan

Send a message via MSN to Léan
Hahaha no i've never been in KVX.

I think they just looking for an understanding of music, not a prodigy or genius. Don't play overly complicated pieces for your practical that you're not comfortable with, try and have a program with varying styles or genres with pieces that you're confident about.

Written test wise, I guess have a well thought out essay, make a plan, good paragraphs and structure. I can't remember what else is in the paper besides essay and composition.
29-08-2012, 13:03   #7
shane9689

Quote:
Originally Posted by Léan View Post
Hahaha no i've never been in KVX.

I think they just looking for an understanding of music, not a prodigy or genius. Don't play overly complicated pieces for your practical that you're not comfortable with, try and have a program with varying styles or genres with pieces that you're confident about.

Written test wise, I guess have a well thought out essay, make a plan, good paragraphs and structure. I can't remember what else is in the paper besides essay and composition.
me again...if you even remember this thread haha...thanks for the advice.. although i did play an overly complicated piece on guitar and failed at it miserably, my piano and fiddle skills got me in XD
so ill be starting soon

anyone who reads this and is about to do that entrance test...just make sure you know how to compose properly ( i got a teacher to help me with that) and play pieces your confident at, even if they seem abit simple! better than messing up like i did XD

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion