Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
18-08-2012, 21:29   #2656
MtHanrahan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 17
I reckon points for med will increase by 5 - 15 points at least. Saying this because of the bonus points in maths, increased numbers sitting higher level maths and irish and this will effect medicine because traditionally these were the go-to subjects to drop down as well as English when under pressure.

Last edited by QueenOfLeon; 18-08-2012 at 23:49. Reason: Stop promoting blog
MtHanrahan is offline  
Advertisement
18-08-2012, 21:41   #2657
Wobbledeeboop
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtHanrahan View Post
I reckon points for med will increase by 5 - 15 points at least. Saying this because of the bonus points in maths, increased numbers sitting higher level maths and irish and this will effect medicine because traditionally these were the go-to subjects to drop down as well as English when under pressure.

Quote:
I would argue that an average A1 ordinary level maths student could manage at least a C1 pretty easily in higher level
Lost all credibility right here, should have had someone proof read your blog first

Last edited by QueenOfLeon; 18-08-2012 at 23:49.
Wobbledeeboop is offline  
18-08-2012, 21:50   #2658
SdoowSirhc
Registered User
 
SdoowSirhc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: County Sligo
Posts: 562
Is there a way of getting into medicine post grad after doing a B.Sc without a Hpat?
SdoowSirhc is offline  
18-08-2012, 22:18   #2659
MtHanrahan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbledeeboop View Post
Lost all credibility right here, should have had someone proof read your blog first
why not? under the presumption that the student did higher level from 5th year and actually tried. Obviously i didn't mean teach a student in pass and then make them sit the higher level paper on the day. That would be stupid. Also I thought C1 was pretty conservative, seeing as Project Maths dummed it down for ye

Last edited by MtHanrahan; 18-08-2012 at 22:21.
MtHanrahan is offline  
18-08-2012, 22:20   #2660
MtHanrahan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by SdoowSirhc View Post
Is there a way of getting into medicine post grad after doing a B.Sc without a Hpat?
Yes but there is a different entrance exam for that
MtHanrahan is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
18-08-2012, 22:23   #2661
Canard
J'ai une araignée au plafond
 
Canard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 7,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtHanrahan View Post
why not? under the presumption that the student did higher level from 5th year and actually tried. Obviously i didn't mean teach a student in pass and then make them sit the higher level paper on the day. That would be stupid. Also I thought C1 was pretty conservative, seeing as Project Maths dummed it down for ye
Lawl, just butting in to say I probably could have gotten an OL A1 after seeing the exam and got a HC3, project maths is not dumbed down - it just has less material but it's more interlinked and you have to be creative with it.
Canard is offline  
18-08-2012, 22:25   #2662
SdoowSirhc
Registered User
 
SdoowSirhc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: County Sligo
Posts: 562
So if I missed by a few points on medicine and I got into a biology course could I then enter med?
SdoowSirhc is offline  
18-08-2012, 22:35   #2663
MtHanrahan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchy~ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtHanrahan View Post
why not? under the presumption that the student did higher level from 5th year and actually tried. Obviously i didn't mean teach a student in pass and then make them sit the higher level paper on the day. That would be stupid. Also I thought C1 was pretty conservative, seeing as Project Maths dummed it down for ye
Lawl, just butting in to say I probably could have gotten an OL A1 after seeing the exam and got a HC3, project maths is not dumbed down - it just has less material but it's more interlinked and you have to be creative with it.
Patchy, generally I like what you say so please don't be offended but less material + creativity = dummed down in my view, that along with writing in the question paper. Maths doesn't require 'creativity' it requires you to know what you are doing and why and what will happen as a result! Perhaps I overestimated the abilities of irish students.

Btw, and sorry to use you as an example like this but if you got a C3 that means you got about half the paper wrong, didn't know what you were doing and more than likely would not have gotten a A1 in pass. I'm looking at this as a med student who saw so many people in medicine with pass maths who would have been well able for higher level but didn't do it to focus on other subjects.

Last edited by randylonghorn; 18-08-2012 at 22:44. Reason: Please don't keep linking to your website, thanks.
MtHanrahan is offline  
18-08-2012, 22:37   #2664
MtHanrahan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by SdoowSirhc View Post
So if I missed by a few points on medicine and I got into a biology course could I then enter med?
Best to go into first year biology, repeat the Hpat in that year and reapply for undergrad medicine for 2013.
MtHanrahan is offline  
Advertisement
18-08-2012, 22:49   #2665
Canard
J'ai une araignée au plafond
 
Canard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 7,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtHanrahan View Post
Patchy, generally I like what you say so please don't be offended but less material + creativity = dummed down in my view, that along with writing in the question paper. Maths doesn't require 'creativity' it requires you to know what you are doing and why and what will happen as a result! Perhaps I overestimated the abilities of irish students.

Btw, and sorry to use you as an example like this but if you got a C3 that means you got about half the paper wrong, didn't know what you were doing and more than likely would not have gotten a A1 in pass. I'm looking at this as a med student who saw so many people in medicine with pass maths who would have been well able for higher level but didn't do it to focus on other subjects.
Http://mthanrahan.com
Fair enough, I'm not offended I never claimed to be a maths prodigy, I only did it for the points. I didn't mean creativity as in "lets make things up" or something, it's more logical thinking on the spot rather than learning "when I see this I must do this" which would have worked for a lot of things (thats why I'm almost certain my P1 brought me up, but I had no idea what any of the stuff I was doing meant in real terms). The only removed section I've heard of is vectors which are supposed to be tedious but easy.

I didn't really know what I was doing, partly because the exam was completely different to what I expected, but after seeing my sister's OL P1 I know I would have gotten a very high score if not an A1 because I had 7 of those questions done at HL (just not complex numbers) and I did have some understanding of the concepts, so it wasn't totally alien to me. I looked at P2 and it actually had one question we got at HL too, which really required thinking and spontaneity, not rote-learning - hardly dumbed down.

I don't know or care if I'd have gotten an A1 in pass because maths doesn't interest me or anything, but I do know that I wouldn't have done badly, even if I got half of HL wrong.
Canard is offline  
18-08-2012, 23:05   #2666
randylonghorn
Exactly what it says on the tin!
 
randylonghorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Anywhere but reality ...
Posts: 24,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by SdoowSirhc View Post
So if I missed by a few points on medicine and I got into a biology course could I then enter med?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtHanrahan View Post
Best to go into first year biology, repeat the Hpat in that year and reapply for undergrad medicine for 2013.
Bear in mind that if you do that, you will most likely be paying *full* fees for your first year in medicine (rather than just the "Student Contribution Fee" or whatever they're calling it now) as you will have already done first year once.
randylonghorn is offline  
18-08-2012, 23:10   #2667
MtHanrahan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 17
Ok patchy, maybe you could have got the A1 in pass. Fair enough and good response.

But I just want to make the point (to everyone not just you) that what you see in project maths is not creativity. In maths, creativity is doing something in a way that it would not normally be done or seeing something which is not obvious. Such creativity is found in competitions such as the maths Olympiad. one would be lucky to get 40% in any of these papers under exam conditions. Every year we send our best and brightest to get at most 6 or 7 points out of 42. And thats brilliant. Most come back with just 1. If creativity was in the leaving cert. then A1s would not be as common!
MtHanrahan is offline  
18-08-2012, 23:12   #2668
MtHanrahan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by randylonghorn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SdoowSirhc View Post
So if I missed by a few points on medicine and I got into a biology course could I then enter med?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtHanrahan View Post
Best to go into first year biology, repeat the Hpat in that year and reapply for undergrad medicine for 2013.
Bear in mind that if you do that, you will most likely be paying *full* fees for your first year in medicine (rather than just the "Student Contribution Fee" or whatever they're calling it now) as you will have already done first year once.
Ya but you'll pay monster fees if you do 4 years of grad med.
MtHanrahan is offline  
18-08-2012, 23:43   #2669
QueenOfLeon
Moderator
 
QueenOfLeon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by barry_murphy View Post
Hey guys,

Now I've got 752 in hand and my first choice is RCSI. I am so worried if I fail to get a place. Would my results in college from last year affect my CAO application? I'm asking because I did really badly in the pharmacy course of RCSI.. Also, I wonder if not doing Irish be a concern since it is in the requirement. But I came to Ireland in 2009, so do I get an exception?
Your college results will have no effect, you're applying on the basis of your LC & HPAT. I'd also assume that if you've already been offered a course (pharmacy last year) without Irish, then you're obviously exempt, so you'll be ok!

As regards your maths result, don't just put the 25 points on at the end of your points. Add it to your maths result first, then add your top 6 subjects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermione Granger View Post
Also does anyone know is it possible to repeat your Hpat without repeating your leaving and vice versa.
Yes, you can repeat either. The HPAT result lasts for 2 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SdoowSirhc View Post
Is there a way of getting into medicine post grad after doing a B.Sc without a Hpat?
If you get a 2.1 in a degree and sit the GAMSAT exam, you can apply for graduate entry medicine. It is a very competitive programme, and the GAMSAT is a very tough exam - most people take a few months to study for it. There is a forum specifically for GAMSAT and Graduate Entry Medicine on boards which has all the information you need.

Bear in mind, you have to pay fees per year of a graduate programme, so it will work out much more expensive than the undergraduate programme.
QueenOfLeon is offline  
Thanks from:
19-08-2012, 01:03   #2670
SdoowSirhc
Registered User
 
SdoowSirhc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: County Sligo
Posts: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtHanrahan View Post
Best to go into first year biology, repeat the Hpat in that year and reapply for undergrad medicine for 2013.
I haven't done the leavng cert yet, I'm just being a shhhnake to see what's the story with doing medicine in the future
SdoowSirhc is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet