ELECTRONICS OR MECHANICAL?? - Page 2 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

02-08-2012, 12:55   #16
TopOfTheRight

Keep the opinions coming people, also which do you think would best equip someone to start their own business?
Advertisement
03-08-2012, 09:28   #17
langdang
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopOfTheRight View Post
which do you think would best equip someone to start their own business?
Electrical.

Also - the most basic indicator - the carpark of the electrical engineering company near us is a far newer and nicer collection of vehicles than the electronic engineers carpark.
08-08-2012, 12:40   #18
Gurgle
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by langdang View Post
the carpark of the electrical engineering company near us is a far newer and nicer collection of vehicles than the electronic engineers carpark.
That's because we don't care what we drive, only what we have left over for holidays, drugs and hookers.

But it's not all rock'n'roll, a few weeks ago I had to work ALL AFTERNOON!!! T'was awful I tell ya, I even missed my 3pm nap.
(3) thanks from:
08-08-2012, 19:59   #19
DublinDilbert

Quote:
Electrical.

Also - the most basic indicator - the carpark of the electrical engineering company near us is a far newer and nicer collection of vehicles than the electronic engineers carpark.
That's a pretty silly measure. I'm sure during the boom some electrical engineers working on construction projects got well paid. But very few electrical engineers work in the construction industry. Also if they were going out on to sites many would have company cars.

In most places I've worked the factory workers had some of the best cars, they had different priorities and didn't mind taking out massive loans.
08-08-2012, 22:18   #20
langdang
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by DublinDilbert View Post
Quote:
Electrical.

That's a pretty silly measure. I'm sure during the boom some electrical engineers working on construction projects got well paid. But very few electrical engineers work in the construction industry. Also if they were going out on to sites many would have company cars.

In most places I've worked the factory workers had some of the best cars, they had different priorities and didn't mind taking out massive loans.
It's the best measure there is* - if you don't have a particular preference, then choose the occupation with the best carpark. The new cars would have been bought after the crash (obviously) so I'd say they haven't been too badly affected.
Yeah, now that you bring it up - our non engineering staff have nicer/newer cars too.

* it would be a bad reason to pick an occupation you had no interest in over one that you did.

Last edited by langdang; 08-08-2012 at 22:30.
Advertisement
08-08-2012, 23:10   #21
oisin_t

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopOfTheRight View Post
Thanks, yeah its electronics i'm looking at not electrical. I would consider myself more of an all rounder, as you said many in the electronics area would be serious techies, maybe my versatility would benefit me while competing with guys like this for jobs?! I have a huge interest in design but also in programming so its a bit of a mixed bag for me
If you like design and programming, then mechanical would make more sense. There are a lot of areas which require both programming and design.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion