Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

30-06-2012, 11:20   #1
mike65

The Independent /Independent on Sunday axed from all Ireland Market

Not a surprise really, it never had more than a toe-hold here. The i will continue.
Advertisement
01-07-2012, 15:27   #2
grindle

Bit of a balls, but having said that, I stopped buying it once they created their app.
Non-smartphone-owners should, but won't be, sad.
07-07-2012, 13:07   #3
sataction
Closed Account

It is difficult to get the i. Hard to blame newsagents I suppose, as it sells for 30c, their take from that would not be much and it might stop you buying a more expensive newspaper.

I wonder if the Guardian will be next, they do not sell it anymore overseas except for Ireland.
07-07-2012, 13:20   #4
grindle

I saw copies in Amsterdam? €3.50 though.
Screw that.
07-08-2012, 20:19   #5
Histie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sataction View Post
It is difficult to get the i. Hard to blame newsagents I suppose, as it sells for 30c, their take from that would not be much and it might stop you buying a more expensive newspaper.

I wonder if the Guardian will be next, they do not sell it anymore overseas except for Ireland.

The Grauniad will be more resilient. It gives quite good coverage to Ireland for a British paper. I remember what must surely have been a disproportionate representation of Irish people in its little interview with readers feature, in which readers discuss their relationship with the newspaper, suggesting an affection for their Irish readership. It even gave its decision to stop selling to Dunnes Stores (a while ago) more prominence than the Indie gave its decision to pull out of the Irish market altoghether.

The paper's closer relationship with Ireland likely owes to the Manchester connection, and it is still published in Manchester as well as London.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
08-08-2012, 21:55   #6
The Idyll Race
Closed Account

I've been buying the Grauniad at least weekly for the last thirty years and judging by its Irish sales, which are the best for any of the serious UK dailies, it has enough to justify selling the edition here, thankfully. Never miss the Observer on Sundays either. Of all the British newspapers it has remained the most informed and knowlegeable about Ireland and is highly recommended.

The mainland Europe edition is horrendously expensive though.
Thanks from:
20-08-2012, 18:20   #7
Tool_

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Idyll Race View Post
I've been buying the Grauniad at least weekly for the last thirty years and judging by its Irish sales, which are the best for any of the serious UK dailies, it has enough to justify selling the edition here, thankfully. Never miss the Observer on Sundays either. Of all the British newspapers it has remained the most informed and knowlegeable about Ireland and is highly recommended.

The mainland Europe edition is horrendously expensive though.
Agree with that - its my favourite paper by a stretch, esp on Saturdays. Grew up with teh Observer but think its lost its way so buy it now out of habit and lack of alternative than any real enthusiasm. As you say, its Irish coverage is streets ahead of the others.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion