Originally Posted by TG1
I'll never forget the day a woman I was doing a trial with for a teaching position pulled me aside and told me that the hour long flatwork lesson I'd just given was a lazy choice and she wouldn't be having that carry on at her establishment... she told me in no uncertain terms that every lesson I gave had to have jumping in it...
I think this illustrates how deep seated the general attitude to dressage in Ireland is, and why it might take a while to change, but I think there have been changes made both in pony clubs and other official bodies, and in the BHS teaching tests that may help change this.
Loved every bit of the eventing, and really enjoyed the individual show jumping. It was great that our 3 riders qualified and then managed to move up places. hopefully more people will be made aware of the brilliant sport of eventing after that great performance!
I have have come up against this attitude towards flatwork many times during my 25 years as an (Instructor)Coach as they like to call it now (I have both qualifications
) from employers and parents.
For a commercial enterprise the big thing is you have to keep kids interested. Mammy and Daddy must be happy to keep paying 20 euro a week. Jumping is how you keep 80% who are going thru a pony stage in life interested for a few years. The other 20% would do anything and be happy. Keep the 80% happy is commercial sense.
20 years ago you could get Kids to ride without stirrups , no reins( we were even allowed to jump without both) and do all the exercises like 'round the world ' and half scissors while in walk and trot.
They would be all aiming to be the best, everyone fell off and got back up.
Health and saftey says you cannot do it now except at a stand still with a person on each side of the pony. Parents and Kids could see they were getting better each week and it was not how big was the jump that mattered
Also next time anyone is in a School watching a lesson see how often the Leading pony changes in a lesson, as its easier to leave them in the same order following nose to tail . The only kid who actually is having to ride is the front one, rest are just following . Look at how the track is worn where nobody actually rides into the corners. The basics are missing at the very bottom of the ladder long before the small % who do join the PC get there.