Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

31-07-2012, 19:42   #1
softshock

Completing INTB/IBL degree without year abroad?

I'm studying international business with Japanese, and I like the course but really, really don't want to do the compulsory year abroad.
I know everyone says that it's the best year ever etc. but Japan is so far away, and I have no real interest in the culture or anything.
Of course I'd like to go to Japan, but a whole year there is just not what I want...

Is there any way to complete the degree without doing the year abroad? Or could I just switch to a degree in business with no language?

Basically, how do I get out of this?

(I'm going into second year, by the way and passed all my exams)
Advertisement
31-07-2012, 23:42   #2
polkabunny

As a computing student I wouldn't know, but I would advise you to contact the education officer in DCU SU and see if he has any ideas, and/or your programme chair or year head. It's important that you let somebody know what you want as soon as possible, hopefully that will allow them to work around it.
Best of luck!
01-08-2012, 10:20   #3
Konata

Quote:
Originally Posted by softshock View Post
I'm studying international business with Japanese, and I like the course but really, really don't want to do the compulsory year abroad.
I know everyone says that it's the best year ever etc. but Japan is so far away, and I have no real interest in the culture or anything.
Of course I'd like to go to Japan, but a whole year there is just not what I want...

Is there any way to complete the degree without doing the year abroad? Or could I just switch to a degree in business with no language?

Hello person who must be in my Japanese class!

Anyway, the basic answer is no. The year abroad is compulsory and they tell you that a million times before the start of the course (well they did in ALIS anyway). Unless there's some serious extenuating circumstances that would prevent you from completing your year abroad, there's no way you can get an International Business degree without doing it.

If you really, REALLY don't want to do the year abroad, I'd advise contacting your year head. The only way out of the situation would be to either withdraw from the course or move to another course. Changing courses has time restrictions and certain requirements though so the sooner you find out if it's possible or not, the better. It's definitely not impossible though and would be the best way to get out of doing the year abroad. I don't know what other sorts of business degrees DCU currently offers but bear in mind you probably won't be studying Japanese anymore.

Did you feel like this when applying for the course or is it just nerves as the year abroad draws closer? Either way, you should really think long and hard about this as once you change you won't be able to go back. But yea, get in contact with your course head first of all to find out the options Good luck!
02-08-2012, 17:53   #4
DanDan6592

Quote:
Originally Posted by softshock View Post

Could you maybe take a year out if you feel your not ready? maybe a year to become a bit more mature might help?
02-08-2012, 19:28   #5
Mr.S

Just wondering why you would want to do a Business Degree with Japanese if you have no interest in living in Japan / culture etc ?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion