Going back to college- already attended, dropped out - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

29-07-2012, 01:07   #1
RandomPanda

Going back to college- already attended, dropped out

Hi,

I was wondering if any one has gone through the same/similar situation or maybe could help me or point me in the right direction
Will try to keep it short and to the point!

-Went to college a few years ago, got to second year and then dropped out.

-I applied to the CAO this year (not as a mature student as I will not be 23 on the 1st of Jan)
I plan to deffer for a year if offered a place and apply as a Mature student the next year accepting the course. I want to try and secure a course this year and save up money (I checked with a University and was informed this is acceptable)

-I am living on my own and have been for the past 3 years. (pay my own rent and utility bills and no financial support from family)

My question is.
Is it possible for me to apply for a grant as a mature student?

I will be paying for college on my own and will have to pay full fees as I have attended third level education previously.

Does having attended college previously exempt me from being able to get a grant? ( I was unable to see this information on the citizens information website)

Thanks for any help you are able to offer!
Advertisement
29-07-2012, 21:17   #2
Muir

Are you working or on the social welfare? If you are on the social welfare BTEA might be a better option for you rather than the grant.

You should ring up SUSI about the grant, even though you wont apply for it til next year they should be able to tell you if it will exempt you. It's possible that you might not get a grant for first year because you have done first year already, but you could be awarded it for 2nd year on. But because you'll be applying as a mature student you might get it for first year. So I think you should ring up & check.
29-07-2012, 21:34   #3
looksee

I'm not 100% sure about this, but I think you apply as a mature student, so if you applied this year then deferred you would not be applying as a mature student this year, and you could not 'apply' next year if you already have a place.

Not entirely sure about this but it might be worth making some enquiries.
29-07-2012, 22:26   #4
Joeytheparrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomPanda View Post
Hi,

I was wondering if any one has gone through the same/similar situation or maybe could help me or point me in the right direction
Will try to keep it short and to the point!

-Went to college a few years ago, got to second year and then dropped out.

-I applied to the CAO this year (not as a mature student as I will not be 23 on the 1st of Jan)
I plan to deffer for a year if offered a place and apply as a Mature student the next year accepting the course. I want to try and secure a course this year and save up money (I checked with a University and was informed this is acceptable)

-I am living on my own and have been for the past 3 years. (pay my own rent and utility bills and no financial support from family)

My question is.
Is it possible for me to apply for a grant as a mature student?

I will be paying for college on my own and will have to pay full fees as I have attended third level education previously.

Does having attended college previously exempt me from being able to get a grant? ( I was unable to see this information on the citizens information website)

Thanks for any help you are able to offer!
When did you study/drop out?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion