Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
13-07-2012, 01:11   #1
bbk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,206
Tinnitus, Recording and Mixing

Tinnitus is something I have and probably most of the users of this forum have in varying degrees.

For those who have it bad enough to have on a daily basis, how does it affect your work?

Should it affect mixing? If it does what is the effect it has? Have you noticed problems objectively dealing with your mix at the frequency of your tinnitus?
bbk is offline  
Advertisement
13-07-2012, 10:50   #2
peter05
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ireland
Posts: 263
Mine is in the higher freq. 15-16khz. ears tend to go out of phase (it's very weird) Happens more when am over tired so I rest well before a session. I have started looking into treatments for it and taking more care of my ears. Lately it seems to be on the retreat, but when it does happen in a session I just have a 10 min break and grab some air.
peter05 is offline  
14-07-2012, 22:14   #3
flyswatter
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter05 View Post
Mine is in the higher freq. 15-16khz. ears tend to go out of phase (it's very weird) Happens more when am over tired so I rest well before a session. I have started looking into treatments for it and taking more care of my ears. Lately it seems to be on the retreat, but when it does happen in a session I just have a 10 min break and grab some air.
Sounds like you need custom made earplugs. I think any musician or DJ should have them.

I only have the cheap mass produced ones myself.
flyswatter is offline  
Thanks from:
14-07-2012, 22:39   #4
peter05
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ireland
Posts: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyswatter View Post
Sounds like you need custom made earplugs. I think any musician or DJ should have them.

I only have the cheap mass produced ones myself.
What I really need to do is take my ears off when playing a gig. Have them already. Wouldn't recommend for forgetful people like myself. It's not fun been halfway across Europe on tour and reaching for earplugs and only finding one.

That been said the simple mass produced ones work fine for me also.

Last edited by peter05; 14-07-2012 at 22:45.
peter05 is offline  
16-07-2012, 12:11   #5
unclebill98
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cavan, Dublin, Cavan, Dublin, Cavan, Dublin...
Posts: 3,431
I recently got a set of custom moulds with a -17db filter in them.

I've used them for mixing live bands, playing in live bands and sitting on a really loud bike.

For me it's just like taking the volume of life down, no adverse effects like what you would get with cheap ear plugs.
unclebill98 is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
20-07-2012, 15:58   #6
PMI
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 799
It doesnt bother me that much, I have left side, only bothers me in a quiet room, hence why I try to keep noise around me
PMI is offline  
22-07-2012, 18:03   #7
PaulBrewer
Registered User
 
PaulBrewer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Tullamore, Dublin and London
Posts: 7,675
I've been very lucky in as far as after 100 years in the music biz I've not had trouble with tinnitus.

However if I had I'd be taking it as a dire warning.


It's your ears telling you they've had enough and won't be taking it anymore - or at least not for long.
PaulBrewer is offline  
23-07-2012, 00:05   #8
DaDumTish
Registered User
 
DaDumTish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,811
even if you protect them ?

ive taken up bass in a big way , but find the left ear and bass do not get on, i get some nasty resonances in the left side of my head and ear.
DaDumTish is offline  
23-07-2012, 00:13   #9
writhen
Registered User
 
writhen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebill98 View Post
I recently got a set of custom moulds with a -17db filter in them.

I've used them for mixing live bands, playing in live bands and sitting on a really loud bike.

For me it's just like taking the volume of life down, no adverse effects like what you would get with cheap ear plugs.
Do you mind saying where you got them? Need to get a set myself.
writhen is offline  
Advertisement
23-07-2012, 01:14   #10
eoin5
Registered User
 
eoin5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,107
I've miraculously no tinnitus problems after years of DJing and playing in bands but I reckon I've lost quite a bit of high frequency in my right ear from playing drums in a small room (I used to like using the ride as a crash). I usually just mix away regardless though, maybe I should start flipping left and right to see if I'm missing things.
eoin5 is offline  
23-07-2012, 09:39   #11
PaulBrewer
Registered User
 
PaulBrewer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Tullamore, Dublin and London
Posts: 7,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaDumTish View Post
even if you protect them ?

ive taken up bass in a big way , but find the left ear and bass do not get on, i get some nasty resonances in the left side of my head and ear.
Tinnitus is telling you damage is already done.

However I am no expert. From what I've heard if you loose some hearing , it ain't coming back.
PaulBrewer is offline  
Thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet