Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

13-07-2012, 00:09   #16
jupiterjack

used loved the smell of that lifebuoy, just got a flashback..
Advertisement
13-07-2012, 22:17   #17
sudzs

Does anyone remember Shield ?? It was stripey I think, the stirpes were supposed to be deoderising...?! I think it cam in blue and green variieties!
(3) thanks from:
13-07-2012, 22:48   #18
Ann22

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudzs View Post
Does anyone remember Shield ?? It was stripey I think, the stirpes were supposed to be deoderising...?! I think it cam in blue and green variieties!

I was talking about it 3 posts ago
Thanks from:
14-07-2012, 00:14   #19
washiskin

We used to use Shield too. But as a treat, maybe once a year, we got Lux -which was lovely. My gran used to buy Camay but I think only the occasional bar of Camay Chic turns up in shops these days. I have 3 bars of that Pears soap in the bathroom and yesterday I found a bar of Yardley Lavender in Euro 2.
14-07-2012, 12:51   #20
The Princess Bride
As you wish.

rubadub, sudzs and washiskin- all posting in this thread.

Pinch me,quick-this is too good to be true !!!
(6) thanks from:
Advertisement
14-07-2012, 18:40   #21
MYOB

Lux was my mothers soap of choice, she only converted to liquid soaps quite late when a Lidl opened across the road and she deemed theirs suitable value.
19-07-2012, 14:04   #22
washiskin

My gran used to hand wash all her laundry with Sunlight Soap. It was a lovely clean smelling household soap. I found it in Dunnes about 8 years ago but haven't seen it since
19-07-2012, 18:20   #23
Rubecula

Knights Castille was what my mum and my sisters used.

Us lads (Dad included) just grabbed what we could and used that, usually a bar of Fairy Soap.

As a kid I remember my mum often got a bar of Carbolic Soap and the smell still takes me back, although not seen it in ages, Coal tar soap too.
20-07-2012, 20:31   #24
kelle

My cousin had just qualified as a beauty therapist and got work. Her mum and grandmother called to see her, and she introduced them to her boss. The very posh lady (ie the boss) was very impressed with granny's youthful skin and asked her what combination of creams she used on her skin - she was taken aback when answered "I use Lifebuoy soap and water on my face every day" then hushed granny so the other customers wouldn't hear her!

I had forgotten about Cleopatra soap, I absolutely loved the smell - Dove arrived on the shelves not long after and smelled good too, but not as nice as Cleopatra!
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
21-07-2012, 00:58   #25
BluesBerry

Palmolive soap (always just the green bar for some reason) and imperial leather was always in our house sometimes my mam bought a marble effect bar of soap could have been shield
There was always a rose shaped soap put out if guests were in the house but we were never allowed use the fancy one
21-07-2012, 01:02   #26
puzzle factory

every time i cursed when i was a nipper i was made3 take a bit out of it, so i remember
21-07-2012, 01:19   #27
Ulysses1874

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitakyushu View Post
The trick with Imperial Leather is you take the sticker/paper bit off as soon as you open the bar and throw it away with the wrappings. Then you can use the bar right down until it disintegrates into nothingness.
Oh no, that is so wrong.

The trick with Imperial Leather is that you leave the sticker on, and then when you have used the soap you leave it sticker side down - that way the soap never sticks to the sink or bath.
23-07-2012, 16:14   #28
BlaasForRafa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses1874 View Post
Oh no, that is so wrong.

The trick with Imperial Leather is that you leave the sticker on, and then when you have used the soap you leave it sticker side down - that way the soap never sticks to the sink or bath.
Yeah, thats what we did with Imperial Leather, till you were just left with a sticker and a tiny sliver of soap.

I remember my dad used to have a tin of Swarfega for washing his hands messing about with the family car's engine or changing the oil or whatever, weird stuff
27-07-2012, 01:34   #29
Amalgam

Send a message via MSN to Amalgam
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaasForRafa View Post
I remember my dad used to have a tin of Swarfega
We had a tub of stuff that looked like sugar or a bit like fiber glass, it was a granular type soap, used by painters?

For the life of me I can't remember what it was, it hung around the house for years.. Not Swarfega mind you.

Didn't Cusson's have a 'soap on a rope' version of their classics at one point. Didn't everybody..

Soaps on ropes, it was a big phase.

I think, in the bowels of the Dun Laoghaire Shopping Centre, as a kid, someone talked me into buying my Dad a Paco Rabanne soap on a rope for Christmas, it just seems like a weird combination, thinking back, nice brand, on a tampon like flannel rope. Manly.

Last edited by Amalgam; 27-07-2012 at 01:38.
30-07-2012, 21:07   #30
ComfyKnickers

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoO View Post

Nice smell.
Have to say this is one of the nicest soaps around, my mother uses the liquid version and it's just gorgeous, I was smelling my hands for ages afterwards and they were really really soft!!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion