Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Issues re deposit machines and staff attitudes..

Options
  • 19-07-2012 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭

When I go to deposit cash these days at B of I, sometimes the cashiers have been less than polite as they try to force me to use the new deposit machines. I am old and disabled and just cannot cope with these machines. More often than not I have to use a walking aid and then find my glasses and it just is too much.

The last time I was told that I had no choice as soon there would be no cashiers, and the tone was less than polite.

If this carries on, I shall know to close my account and go elsewhere!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Laura

Hi Graces7.

I apologise for the issues you encountered during your recent visit and thank you for your feedback.

Our Lodgement ATM's have been introduced to offer customers more efficient ways of transacting their business.
    Our staff are available to assist you with your transactions and the usage of any new technology.

Your feedback has been passed on to the relevant department.

Thanks again.
    Laura

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Hi Graces7.

I apologise for the issues you encountered during your recent visit and thank you for your feedback.

Our Lodgement ATM's have been introduced to offer customers more efficient ways of transacting their business.
    Our staff are available to assist you with your transactions and the usage of any new technology.

Your feedback has been passed on to the relevant department.

Thanks again.
    Laura

Thank you, but I remain unsure re the realities here; are you in fact phasing out cashiers as I have twice been told now? If so then I need to make other arrangements. Without being forced to use "new technology" that I am unhappy and ill at ease with.

I cannot be on my feet for very long and the machines take longer. Just is unacceptable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Linda

Hi Graces7,

I apologise you felt you were forced to use the lodgement atm machine, the choice is still the customer's if they would prefer to deal with a cashier or to use the lodgement machine. Our branch staff are supporting customers by demonstrating how to use the new facilities available to them.

Any changes in service are advised to customers by way of branches notices.

Thanks
    Linda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Graces7,

I've found the best approach to avoid that kind of situation is to just say that you need to speak to the cashier and that you're not prepared to discuss your business in the middle of the bank. If the customer service person continues to be really pushy about it, ask to speak to the manager in the branch.

Using those machines is optional, not compulsory!

I don't think it's fair to be too pushy about getting people to use technology that they struggle with.

I have elderly relations who cannot cope with ATMs at all because they can't see the screens due to issues with manual dexterity and eye sight. They're happy enough to continue to deal with the staff in the branch.

I would also hope that Bank of Ireland takes disability and accessibility of its products and services seriously. Perhaps it's just someone being over-enthusiastic about selling the idea of using these new machines?

They are handy if you're comfortable with using them!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I apologise you felt you were forced to use the lodgement atm machine, the choice is still the customer's if they would prefer to deal with a cashier or to use the lodgement machine.

I have had the same experience on numerous occasions. Perhaps the above could be passed onto some staff along with some customer relations training.
    Generally I am a very happy BOI customer & its not often I go into a branch .
    If the cashiers were as eager as the staff that pounce on you to use these lodgement machines things would be much better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Graham

Hi all,

Thank you very much for your comments. We're constantly looking at ways to improve customer experiences and your feedback has been forwarded onto the Branch Network for review.

Thanks again for posting,
    Graham

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Solair wrote: »
    Graces7,

I've found the best approach to avoid that kind of situation is to just say that you need to speak to the cashier and that you're not prepared to discuss your business in the middle of the bank. If the customer service person continues to be really pushy about it, ask to speak to the manager in the branch.

Using those machines is optional, not compulsory!

I don't think it's fair to be too pushy about getting people to use technology that they struggle with.

I have elderly relations who cannot cope with ATMs at all because they can't see the screens due to issues with manual dexterity and eye sight. They're happy enough to continue to deal with the staff in the branch.

I would also hope that Bank of Ireland takes disability and accessibility of its products and services seriously. Perhaps it's just someone being over-enthusiastic about selling the idea of using these new machines?

They are handy if you're comfortable with using them!

Thank you so very much for this. It has happened at different branches so I knew it was policy. The first time I decided not to go back to that branch, but when I did there were no issues.

It has happened this week at the branch I use most but with a cashier I had not met before and she was rudely refusing to serve me. I am in constant pain when I am out as I cannot take painkillers when driving and I need to get deposits done speedily and easily.

The only time there is peace now is when I have dollars to deposit! Maybe I can organise that each week!

But then there are delays as only one cashier each branch can deal with foreign currency.

At one branch they had a cashier by the machine to show how and I was directed to that queue, but it took a long while with the old lady ahead of me. Then the machine kept spitting notes out back at me. The next time there they tried sending me to the machine insistently but it had been put out of action by a lady feeding in wrong PINs.

I have a second account elsewhere and no trouble like this there; AIB looks interesting too....

But this kind of impoliteness is not to be tolerated, simply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

Graces7 wrote: »
    Thank you so very much for this. It has happened at different branches so I knew it was policy. The first time I decided not to go back to that branch, but when I did there were no issues.

It has happened this week at the branch I use most but with a cashier I had not met before and she was rudely refusing to serve me. I am in constant pain when I am out as I cannot take painkillers when driving and I need to get deposits done speedily and easily.

The only time there is peace now is when I have dollars to deposit! Maybe I can organise that each week!

But then there are delays as only one cashier each branch can deal with foreign currency.

At one branch they had a cashier by the machine to show how and I was directed to that queue, but it took a long while with the old lady ahead of me. Then the machine kept spitting notes out back at me. The next time there they tried sending me to the machine insistently but it had been put out of action by a lady feeding in wrong PINs.

I have a second account elsewhere and no trouble like this there; AIB looks interesting too....

But this kind of impoliteness is not to be tolerated, simply.

thats quite shocking given your circumstances. OP if that sort of banking experience continues for you then vote with your feet and move you buisness elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I've encountered the pushy floor-walkers who ask people if they're lodging money. "would you like to try our new machine?" etc.

However, I've never encountered a cashier refusing to take a deposit. If that's the case, you should definitely PM the BOI rep on here with the branch details.

I'd just tell the manager in the branch if this isn't resolved that you'll be taking your business elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Laura

Hi all.

Apologises for the recent issues you encountered during your visit to our branch and thank you for your feedback.

While we are currently introducing new and more efficient ways for our customers to transact their business, the choice will remain the customer's if they wish to use the lodgement machines or deal with a cashier directly. Our staff are there to support customers and demonstrate the new facilities available.

We apologise if this was not the case. Please let us know which branch these incidents occurred in, so we can address it.
    As always, your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Laura

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Hi all.
    While we are currently introducing new and more efficient ways for our customers to transact their business, the choice will remain the customer's if they wish to use the lodgement machines or deal with a cashier directly.

Laura

I find the whole 'more efficient ways for our customers to transact their business' rather ambiguous. Can you not just say you are looking to "cut costs via reducing staff with the introduction of these new machines"? Clarity and brevity.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,146 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Or admit that another round of voluntary redundancy packages is currently under-way and staff levels will be even lower in-branch next month ;)

Advertisement