Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
View Poll Results: Since Ivan Yates left do you listen....
More 9 4.92%
Less 132 72.13%
About the same 42 22.95%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

10-07-2012, 11:04   #31
robbe

Hi,

I am a long time listener to newstalk and was critical of the former incarnations of the breakfast show (Claire Byrne and her stilted 'banter' with Ger Gilroy) - all light years away from the days of McWilliams and Dunphy (who could admittedly get repetitive with the same guests on ad nauseum - but give me Robert Fisk or Anthony Cronin any day over the contributors now).

I found Ivan Yeats to be sometimes interesting (COD 'banter' and rent a controversial opinion aside) but at least there were some considered/experienced views expressed from time to time and there was a vague sense of the inside track on political matters.

What we have now is forced bonhomie between 2 people who, while admittedly good natured, lack the personality to make up for the dearth of insightful contributors to the program. What we get is COD/SC's opinion about every aspect of the news - do I want to hear this I frequently ask myself as I turn off and listen to a podcast or (shudder) a piece about the tidy towns in Belturbet over on Morning Ireland.

We have COD/SC and their opinion on the newspaper headlines, a bit of banter, maybe a contributor sandwiched in between a competition and their views on something else. It's not all bad and sometimes a section can be interesting but it's the exception rather than the rule. I'm sure it's a tricky thing to get the balance right on a show but I don't think the current structure works, for me anyway. You'd have to wonder who else they could get to do it - after all they seem to run with about 2 overflow presenters who fill in for every other show (and one of them is SC). Anton Savage would be annoying, Fergus Finlay is doing a good job on Sunday (is he filling in for SC?)

How about Sile Seioge in the morning - now there's someone who would hasten the switch to Morning Ireland's Tidy Towns in Belturbet piece....

Rob
Advertisement
16-07-2012, 08:59   #32
telekon

I quite like Chris (despite some of his diction problems) but since Ivan left he has turned into some sort of uncontrollable kid that is spouting opinions left, right and centre.

This attempt at himself and Coleman being all pally pally, laughing, mocking and joking on a relentless basis is quite hard to listen to first thing in the morning.

Chris is calling shane a 'granny' at the moment as shane thinks the springsteen gig was right to finish at 11... typical of the type of guff we come to expect these days.

They should just go the whole hog and get Chris a soundboard with loads of 'wacky' sounds for those crazy comedy moments during the show ala those two guys that do the radio show on the Simpsons...
(3) thanks from:
16-07-2012, 09:42   #33
mike65

You beat me to it, just awful stuff this morning. Nothing quite as toe-curling than listening to two fellas sounding like giddy schoolgirls as they "banter".
16-07-2012, 09:44   #34
qwert2

I listen to my ipod, always have, always will
18-07-2012, 18:35   #35
Irishoz

COD just doesn't have the personality to front the show. He would be better on a pure current affairs show than a light entertainment show like breakfast. They need someone with a strong personality to grab the show and make it their own. Shane Coleman isn't a presenter, he's more of a contributor. Alright in segments but not presenting.
Advertisement
18-07-2012, 18:46   #36
liam7831

Does any one else notice the amount of times they give a namecheck?? They must at least mention their names twenty times a day...............like we get it already sean
19-07-2012, 08:40   #37
telekon

"...and welcome to newstalk, we have a lot to get through this morning..."

No WE don't Chris, you do because that's your job. The word 'we' insinuates that I might stick with you for the entire show but its very tough when you say stuff like the above EVERY morning.

Just tell us the damn news while I decide whether to turn over to Morning Ireland or not...
Thanks from:
19-07-2012, 09:25   #38
DEFTLEFTHAND

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishoz View Post
COD just doesn't have the personality to front the show. He would be better on a pure current affairs show than a light entertainment show like breakfast. They need someone with a strong personality to grab the show and make it their own. Shane Coleman isn't a presenter, he's more of a contributor. Alright in segments but not presenting.
I thought Breakfast is supposed to be current affairs though as opposed to light entertainment. I know its hard to tell these days, but I think that's what they try to pass it off as being.
Thanks from:
19-07-2012, 09:35   #39
meoklmrk91

Used to love listening to it on the way to college in the morning, it's not the same since Ivan left, towards the end of the year I found myself switching to a podcast more often than not, couldn't stick the droll, boring duo. Hope they have found a replacement by september!
Advertisement
19-07-2012, 16:14   #40
Heroditas

Quote:
Originally Posted by meoklmrk91 View Post
Used to love listening to it on the way to college in the morning, it's not the same since Ivan left, towards the end of the year I found myself switching to a podcast more often than not, couldn't stick the droll, boring duo. Hope they have found a replacement by september!

If they wait a bit longer, they'll be able to get Ivan back!
24-07-2012, 13:22   #41
Postit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teyla Emmagan View Post
Her accent's a lot less irritating than Ian Guider's with his appalling diction and selection of speech impediments!!!
+1 Someone should pull him and that spa Alan Hughes from TV3 aside and tell them that in words beginning with 'Th', the 'h' is not silent.

If I hear either of them say "Trout Tursday" instead of Throughout Thursday one more time!!!!!! Jesus....get it together ffs!
Thanks from:
25-07-2012, 21:48   #42

Shane Coleman is just a 'hack'. He went very easy on Denis O'Brien after the Moriarty Tribunal, no wonder he got the gig. Chris Donoghue would make an excellent children's TV presenter.
25-07-2012, 23:59   #43
telekon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9959 View Post
Shane Coleman is just a 'hack'. He went very easy on Denis O'Brien after the Moriarty Tribunal, no wonder he got the gig. Chris Donoghue would make an excellent children's TV presenter.
But children's TV presenters tend to annunciate properly...
26-07-2012, 07:39   #44
Irishoz

I dipped into it yesterday and heard Norah Casey on. It's obvious they are lining her up for a permanent slot and are just running her through the a trial right now. She has a real personality, which is a plus on Breakfast. She also speaks very well and given her performance on the Fiscal Treaty debate it is obvious she is informed. I like her. Herself and Chris seem to be on an even playing field, so no Ivan-esq talking down to little Chris. However I still dunno about Chris. He is full of political knowledge and obviously loves what he does, but you has got to be able to make people warm to you in a presenters chair on a big show like that. I really think he should stick to pure news. As for Coleman...bye bye!
26-07-2012, 08:54   #45

Agree on Nora Casey, she gives the show some much needed gravitas. Don't agree that Coleman should be replaced rather than the over exuberant Donoghue. What about replacing both of them. Nora and Ivan! Hardley a dream team but a huge improvement on the 'smug brothers'.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion