Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

APN settings on ICS- What does this screen shot mean?

Options
  • 12-07-2012 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

I don't use data at all. I have data switched off all the time. The very odd time I get an MMS with a photo in it that requires me to enable data to download the photo.

On Gingerbread that was fine.

I recently updated to Ice Cream Sandwich and today when I downloaded an MMS I got changed 79¢ for the privilege.

I spoke with Meteor but they don't have a clue, it took her 15 mins to confirm that I shouldn't be charged for receiving an MMS.

After trying to get my head around whats going on I think it may have some thing to do with the APNs. I think that the MMS may have been downloaded via the Data APN and not the MMS APN as it should have been.

Can any one explain what this screen shot means?
    apnl.png

Why is there a green dot beside the Meteor Data APN? If i click on the dot nothing happens, it doesn't toggle on or off. What does the green dot mean?

Why is there no dot beside the Meteor MMS APN ?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭blaz

You can have multiple data APNs and select which one you want to use. The one marked with the green dot is used for internet access.

For MMS, the MMS APN is always used. You can not select that one for data use, that's why there is no green dot next to it.

If you touch the data APN and scroll down under "APN type", you will see that data.mymeteor.ie has "default,supl" set which means "use this APN for internet and GPS". If you do the same for the MMS entry, you will see that "APN type" is set to "mms", which means that this APN will only be used for MMS.

The problem is that once you enable data, applications will sync in the background automatically. So the moment you wanted to send the MMS you enabled data. Your phone sent the MMS using the MMS APN, but at the same time it synced your emails or other things in the background using the data APN, so you were also charged the 79c for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭firkin

I've tried turning off all background syncing while on Data but there is one "Android OS" that you cant switch off.

[Its astonishing how convoluted and difficult it is to turn off syncing and background data completely.]

After reading your post I've created a dummy APN with fake settings and I included "default,supl" in it and I've selected it instead of the Meteor one.
    Do you think that will stop all data while still allowing MMS?

Thanks for your post it explains a lot :)

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭blaz

A dummy APN might work, it really depends how Meteor have set up things. Some operators really don't care what APN you use and will let you onto the network even if you provide a totally fake one. I know there is one such operator in New Zealand. You can easily confirm by yourself: just enable data and turn off WiFi, then look at the status bar at the top. Does 3G show up? If yes, then data is enabled. If no, then your dummy APN worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭firkin

It looks like it works. Usuallly when I'd enable data a little 3G or H+ icon would appear, but with my dummy APN they don't :)

Just have to get an MMS to finish the test but, so far its looking good.

Thanks for the help, blaz. You've helped me put my data connection back in its cage ! :D

Advertisement