Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Japan Wildlife / nature - I'm afraid!!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 MrShine

We got our first one in the house the other day. A massive fecker. I caught him, and let it out down the street. In hindsight I should've killed it, but I'm not too fond of killin things, tbh. Sept for mosquitos. Blood suckin bastards!

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭hibby

We had a roach in our house a couple of weeks ago too.

To be honest I don't have an inbuilt horror of them, probably because we don't have them in Ireland so I wasn't brought up to hate them. It's just like a big beetle as far as I'm concerned. My wife hates them though!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

MrShine wrote: »
    Sept for mosquitos. Blood suckin bastards!

I hate them and tend to have a reaction to the bites.
    Will they be gone by November?

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Will they be gone by November?

I'm guessing yes. I arrived in Japan in March and wasn't troubled by them, and then started to get more bites as the weather got warmer. Now my legs are covered in bites and scabs at various stages of healing.

They have a special vicious little mosquito here called yabuka, that are seemingly immune to insect repellent. They are ruthlessly efficient and waste no time - the moment you step outside the door they land and bite. Unlike normal mosquito bites, you actually feel it immediately as you are being bitten, and almost instantly the bite appears like a little blister. Then later it swells up into a screamingly-itchy big red lump, gradually fading over the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭shindig-jp

Hibby don't forget your two dogs .......K9 Advantix and cover them at night , dogs suffer too.

• Advertisement

They suffer from mosquito bites, you mean? I didn't know that. I'll look into that Advantix stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭shindig-jp

hibby wrote: »
    They suffer from mosquito bites, you mean? I didn't know that. I'll look into that Advantix stuff.

Yes K9 Advantix for pets , If you are being bitten and the little ones are with you, you can be sure they are also under attack . Ears, nose, eyes and underbelly are all exposed including the arse hole .

It's easy enough to set up a boxed screen on the balcony . Recycle shop for old window net repaired screens . 2 Double door size and two half size ,one for the flap to let them in and out . Duck tape the lot together . Job done .

Now my legs are covered in bites and scabs at various stages of healing.

How are you getting on with the mosquitos hibby?
    Have the little buggers disappeared yet?
    Only 6 weeks to my hols. :)

How are you getting on with the mosquitos hibby?
    Have the little buggers disappeared yet?
    Only 6 weeks to my hols. :)

They still haven't disappeared. We were just out on a short walk and I was bitten once on the hand, and my wife got 4 bites on the ankles.

But there are definite signs of getting cooler this week. Today was the first day for months that the temperature didn't reach 30 degrees (it was 29.8, but still!)

I don't know what time of year the mosquitoes die off. It's my first full year in Japan so I'm just learning as I go.

Anyway, 6 weeks till you come to Japan? That's great! And the euro is starting to recover slightly against the yen too.

I don't know what time of year the mosquitoes die off.

I'll ask you again in 5 weeks time. :)
    Anyway, 6 weeks till you come to Japan? That's great! And the euro is starting to recover slightly against the yen too.

I should order my Yen from the bank soon then!

• Advertisement

So hibby, have any of those nasty little blighters bitten you recently or can I arrive safe in the knowledge that I won't be covered in bites?

So hibby, have any of those nasty little blighters bitten you recently or can I arrive safe in the knowledge that I won't be covered in bites?

They were still around and biting until very recently (within the past week) but the weather has suddenly turned a lot cooler and hopefully that's the end of them for this year.

By the way, this cooler weather is probably the nicest weather we've had in Japan since I arrived. It's just beautiful, really clear and bright and pleasant in the sunshine. I'm told this is typical from mid-October to mid-November so I hope it lasts for your stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Nobody mention the deer in Nara yet? Aggressive feckers!

By the way, this cooler weather is probably the nicest weather we've had in Japan since I arrived. It's just beautiful, really clear and bright and pleasant in the sunshine. I'm told this is typical from mid-October to mid-November so I hope it lasts for your stay.

Oh that's great to hear!
    With one week to go, I'm like a kid on christmas eve. :D

Advertisement