Trees - will they make me money - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

08-07-2012, 23:10   #1
karlitob

Trees - will they make me money

Hi all,

A very hopeful and loaded question.....

I have a lot of trees in my back garden - fully mature....bay laurel, holly, and other ones that I don't know the name of.

Is there such a thing as selling these trees? My thinking is that maybe people will want a fully grown tree rather than waiting years for it to mature.

I await the scorn and laughter of everyone at me chancing my arm.

Thanks

G
Advertisement
08-07-2012, 23:13   #2
paddy147
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlitob View Post
Hi all,

A very hopeful and loaded question.....

I have a lot of trees in my back garden - fully mature....bay laurel, holly, and other ones that I don't know the name of.

Is there such a thing as selling these trees? My thinking is that maybe people will want a fully grown tree rather than waiting years for it to mature.

I await the scorn and laughter of everyone at me chancing my arm.

Thanks

G

How would you remove them from the ground without any sort of damage though??

If you want rid of them,then would you not make money by chopping them all up and selling them on as bags or trailers of firewood?

Honest questions.

Last edited by paddy147; 08-07-2012 at 23:15.
08-07-2012, 23:20   #3
karlitob

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy147 View Post
How would you remove them from the ground without any sort of damage though??

If you want rid of them,then would you not make money by chopping them all up and selling them on as bags or trailers of firewood?

Honest questions.
Thanks Paddy

I was thinking that too...

I wondered if tree surgeons would remove them for free and could sell them on as they would be more in the know.

I doubt it but just needed it confirmed by a few ppl on boards before I got the idea out of my head.
08-07-2012, 23:24   #4
paddy147
Banned

Quote:
Thanks Paddy

I was thinking that too...

I wondered if tree surgeons would remove them for free and could sell them on as they would be more in the know.

I doubt it but just needed it confirmed by a few ppl on boards before I got the idea out of my head.

Well a ton bag of firewood is approx 65 euro on the likes of donedeal and adverts these days.

So depending on the trees,there could be a fair few euros worth of firewood in your garden.
08-07-2012, 23:24   #5
Rovi
Closed Account

Quote:
How would you remove them from the ground without any sort of damage though??)
Tree spade.

Something like this, though I don't know of anyone doing this sort of thing in this country:

(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
08-07-2012, 23:27   #6
paddy147
Banned

I saw that before on Discovery Channel,that and also the olive tree and orange tree shaker and catcher.

Serious pieces of machinery indeed.
08-07-2012, 23:34   #7
paddy147
Banned

Sorry,I meant Pecan tree/nut shaker and collector.

Thanks from:
08-07-2012, 23:41   #8
karlitob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovi View Post
Tree spade.

Something like this, though I don't know of anyone doing this sort of thing in this country:
Would love a go off that!!!

Even if I had the machine - despite my house being in the way - a number of trees are near a wall
08-07-2012, 23:43   #9
karlitob

Quote:
Well a ton bag of firewood is approx 65 euro on the likes of donedeal and adverts these days.

So depending on the trees,there could be a fair few euros worth of firewood in your garden.
Thats a good bit of dough - will keep it in mind - thanks
Advertisement
08-07-2012, 23:45   #10
karlitob

Also want to get your advice on tree stump removal. I've been researching it a lot and the best way that I have seen (with the caveat that the tree is cut down to its stump) is the following

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYIch5qKPcc

Would appreciate your opinions.
08-07-2012, 23:59   #11
paddy147
Banned

Quote:
Also want to get your advice on tree stump removal. I've been researching it a lot and the best way that I have seen (with the caveat that the tree is cut down to its stump) is the following

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYIch5qKPcc

Would appreciate your opinions.

We had to remove 4 large cordyline trees around 4 years ago.

We cut them all down with a chainsaw,and left about 2 feet of a stump on each tree.

We then dug down and around the stumps to expose the man root and smaller roots.

We drilled several 20mm holes into the stumps and also the large underground roots.

We then poured in some "neat" glyposphate and left them for 2-3 weeks.

We then dug them out and used a large axe to chop through the roots and the stumps came out very easy.

The glyposphate did a great job of breaking down the remaining stumps and roots,made life so much easier..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF9980.JPG (1.09 MB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0985.JPG (287.6 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF4922.JPG (516.5 KB, 106 views)

Last edited by paddy147; 09-07-2012 at 00:12.
11-07-2012, 18:44   #12
karlitob

The cordyline on the second left is pretty huge. Must have been tough getting it out. See I have (on last count) 19 trees in the back garden and they ain't all staying. Professional tree removal is just out as we really can't afford them.

Did you have any issue with the wall. 4 of our trees are very near a partition wall. Naturally, I dont want to affect the wall so was wondering if the roots in your tree went down instead of spreading out.
11-07-2012, 22:15   #13
paddy147
Banned

Quote:
The cordyline on the second left is pretty huge. Must have been tough getting it out. See I have (on last count) 19 trees in the back garden and they ain't all staying. Professional tree removal is just out as we really can't afford them.

Did you have any issue with the wall. 4 of our trees are very near a partition wall. Naturally, I dont want to affect the wall so was wondering if the roots in your tree went down instead of spreading out.

No problems with the wall,but we dug down that side 1st to make sure that the roots didnt go in under the foundations.

The stumps all came out fairly easy,in the end.
14-07-2012, 18:35   #14
rje66

to remove stumps you can hire a stump grinder service.

there are tree spades in dublin to lift large trees, but accesss is usually the prob.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion