Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

30-05-2012, 10:49   #1006
foots

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTT View Post
I had that young traveller girl with a green sheet looking for sponsorship this evening. There was an older guy waiting for her 2 doors up. Roselawn area. Heard she followed older people into their homes when they turned to get money. Just beware people.
yes the traveller that called to myself and my neighbours, entered all our homes, luckily my 8 year old is very nosey and stood staring at her until i arrived back with wallet to sponser her, foolish me!
Advertisement
30-05-2012, 21:13   #1007
exador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larbre34 View Post
The pattern emerging here is that burglars and opportunist thieves are obviously prepared to take more risks in what they do.

For example, I have responsibility for a dormant industrial site (not in D15), which although not occupied still has materials and fittings on site that are valuable. There are good alarms and security response for it and still we've had a few incidents since February of copper thefts and boundary fence breaches. The last such incident was on Friday night so I organised a permanent security man for the site for the weekend until I could get the alarms checked over, but low and behold on Saturday night two van loads of 'Irish lads' turned up at the front gate and started questioning the security man about why he was there and that they understood there was no manned security on the place. They seemed very put out that they couldnt just stroll in and strip the place having disabled the alarms the night before!!!

My point is, if you think blaggers and robbers wont be so brazen they will, if you think theyd never do something so obvious or in broad daylight, they will, if you think theyd never risk the guards being called on them, they will.

Even if it seems an over the top precaution for your home, do whatever it takes to make it unattractive and maybe your neighbour will be the unfortunate one instead
Couldn't agree more ... I always put alarm on at night, double check all the doors and windows locked e.t.c .. The other day I noticed the kitchen window had been tampered with and the frame damaged. It looks like someone just checked if window was locked fully and then left. The same night a neighbour a few doors away heard someone come in the back door and they ran away when they heard someone come downstairs.

Neighbour said the door was unlocked and they don't always remember to check it !!!
03-06-2012, 12:50   #1008
athtrasna

I had my laser card taken out of my pocket in Tesco Roselawn last night around 6.45pm. Unusually didn't bring a handbag but stuck the card lose in my pocket thinking it would be faster, just needed a few things. It was there in the bread aisle but gone by the tills. Pockets are deep so it wouldn't have fallen out. They checked cctv from the checkout queue but nothing. Bloody inconvenient on a bank holiday weekend.
03-06-2012, 13:24   #1009
leggo

Very strange to have a laser card pick-pocketed, it has no value without the PIN and only 3 attempts to get it, so unless there was someone looking over your shoulder at the ATM before you went into the store then I'd imagine it's just lost and not stolen. It could be a case of it fell out somewhere and someone stroked it for the heck of it, but even then that's a long shot. I'd call them back at some stage today to see if anyone handed it in...but you probably have it cancelled anyway.

Sorry to hear, either way, I know it's a massive pain in the hole.
03-06-2012, 13:54   #1010
athtrasna

It definitely couldn't have fallen out, I retraced my steps with a friend who came down to pay for my stuff and checked to see if it would have come out of the pocket, no way it would have. Maybe an opportunistic inexperienced thief.

Left my details and called the store again, no sign of the card. Given the weekend that's in it it's particularly annoying.
Advertisement
05-06-2012, 11:29   #1011
CrazyRabbit

I was out in the back garden doing some work and bringing concrete blocks out to a skip in the front garden. So the front door was left wide open as both hands were full.

Found a traveller woman with 3 young kids at the front door on the way out. One of the kids was looking in the living room window and the other (about 4 year old) was actually in the hallway. She said she was struggling and if I could give her some money to help feed/cloth the kids.

After turning her away (I explained that I already donate money to charity weekly), she then went to the other houses on the street.

Could be genuine, but I really doubt it.

This is the Roselawn area.
07-06-2012, 21:58   #1012
franksm

Send a message via MSN to franksm
It would amaze you what the kids have been trained to do - and people generally presume the best when kids are rifling through things. Had one routing through the boot of the car when I was vacuuming it in Ongar whilst the mother kept me talking and attention diverted at something else
17-06-2012, 19:49   #1013
athtrasna

Just had a caller to the door, a woman on a crutch, supposedly doing a charity collection except for her own son. Felt very dodgy. Waterville area
19-06-2012, 18:00   #1014
Dravokivich

Bikes being vandalised and parts taken from them at cool mine train station.

Just had the pleasure of pushing mine home.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
19-06-2012, 20:32   #1015
Diddler1977

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dravokivich View Post

There are new bike lockers fitted in Castleknock Station, hopefully Coolmine will get them too.
(2) thanks from:
19-06-2012, 21:52   #1016
Dravokivich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diddler1977 View Post
Quote:

There are new bike lockers fitted in Castleknock Station, hopefully Coolmine will get them too.
Cool mine have'em as well. But don't use the bike to it often enough to spend on it. Only if I get up late.

Well... didn't anyway.

Just put it up, because they completely destroyed someone else's bike as well. So just to be aware for anyone else intending on using it.

EDIT

Just checked the website for them lockers: http://www.bikelocker.ie/rent.html

You have to rent them, so not really worth while for causual use.

Last edited by Dravokivich; 20-06-2012 at 08:05.
Thanks from:
20-06-2012, 08:27   #1017
Diddler1977

Quote:
Cool mine have'em as well. But don't use the bike to it often enough to spend on it. Only if I get up late.

Well... didn't anyway.

Just put it up, because they completely destroyed someone else's bike as well. So just to be aware for anyone else intending on using it.

EDIT

Just checked the website for them lockers: http://www.bikelocker.ie/rent.html

You have to rent them, so not really worth while for causual use.
Not the most informative website is it?!!

And ok so they have an online presence but why can't you rent online?

Anyone know how much they cost to rent?

I think they have missed an opportunity for making revenue from casual users - unless you can physically pay at the station?
20-06-2012, 08:51   #1018
ThisRegard

Quote:
The cost to rent is €75.00 a year which is just €1.45 per week. This includes vat at 23% which we have to charge you.
We would also need a refundable deposit of €25.00 for the lock and key.
Taken from an email someone posted in the cycling forum.

Last edited by ThisRegard; 20-06-2012 at 08:53.
Thanks from:
20-06-2012, 09:34   #1019
Dravokivich

The locks are just normal padlocks as well. The only thing is they've got metal pieces around them preventing them from being interfered with.
Thanks from:
20-06-2012, 14:17   #1020
spankmaster2000

Quote:

3 bikes stolen from Rosehaven apartments right across the street from there.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion