Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

04-06-2012, 15:45   #436
markk0719

Reading list Psychology

Hey folks,

Im starting Psychology in September and am wondering what the reading list for first year is like and is there any books I should definitely buy?
Thanks in advance for any advice!!
Advertisement
09-06-2012, 13:23   #437
D_s

Engineering?

Wow, no engineering in this thread?

Any NUIM engineers here can give me an insight?
14-06-2012, 11:56   #438
Cathal B

equine buisness

I havent seen it any where in this tread so far. But if anybody could give me any information on it, it would be greatly appreciated.
e.g. what you thought of the course?
how many hours a week?
thanks in advance
Cathal
29-07-2012, 00:30   #439
Geo10

Hi, I hope to be doing Arts this year and I plan to take Geography, Business & Economics. I'm aware what the modules in each of these are and what they entail (from the NUIM website) but one thing that I was wondering about was the Continuous Assesment. If anyone did any of these 3 subjects in 1st year can you give me a summary of what the CA entails? Like is it essays or class tests or...? Especially for the People & Places module in Geography (GY124) and the Business Landscape module in Business (MN172) as they are both 100% CA. Are those modules easier or more challenging because of that?
If anyone could give me any information it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
09-08-2012, 00:43   #440
DylanII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo10 View Post
Hi, I hope to be doing Arts this year and I plan to take Geography, Business & Economics. I'm aware what the modules in each of these are and what they entail (from the NUIM website) but one thing that I was wondering about was the Continuous Assesment. If anyone did any of these 3 subjects in 1st year can you give me a summary of what the CA entails? Like is it essays or class tests or...? Especially for the People & Places module in Geography (GY124) and the Business Landscape module in Business (MN172) as they are both 100% CA. Are those modules easier or more challenging because of that?
If anyone could give me any information it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I'm a finance and Economics Student with a minor in geography. So I have info on Economics and Geography.

GY124 is 100% continuous assessment. A lot of the marks go for group work. Particularly a group glossary. If you submit all of your assignments it is nearly impossible to fail and very easy to get a high mark in the subject. You get marks for attending lectures and tutorials. Almost all of the assignments are very short - they generally have a limit of 300 words. You are encouraged to get as much information as possible in the smallest amount of words.

From what I remember Gy114 was marked from tutorials and small assigments to be submitted before the turorial, these are every second week.One Multiple choice test and an exam at the end of the year

GY123 consists of one mid semester MCQ worth 33.33% and one exam.

Im not sure but I think GY111 was one MCQ and one exam.

For economics -
Microeconomics EC101 You will have to attend a tutorial every week, they are worth 5% of your finAal grade. You will have two longish assignment worth 10% (5% each) an MCQ worth 10% and the final exam.

Macroeconomics EC102. There will be one MCQ(10%) and one Long assignment (10%) - you should work on this from the start of the semester/as soon as it is given. There will also be the exam. You must attend one computer lab and one tutorial on alternating weeks. Worth 5%

Macroeconomics 2 EC101B - There will be an MCQ worth 10% and Two assignments/set of questions worth 5% each. There will then be one tutorial per week, worth 5% and the final exam.

Quantitative Analysis EC105A - Sounds more difficult that it is. You have two assignments 5% each, once MCQ at 10% and tutorials/labs on alternating weeks worth 5%. Plus the final exam.

The economics assignments were generally short enough (A few pages with the graphs). They were a mix of giving opinions, working out definite answers/solving problems creating graphs and excel spreadsheets and analysing data. You will be asked to "discuss" relevant news paper articles and provide possible solutions to problems presented.

If you have any questions just ask me
Thanks from:
Advertisement
09-08-2012, 10:49   #441
Geo10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanII View Post

I'm a finance and Economics Student with a minor in geography. So I have info on Economics and Geography.

GY124 is 100% continuous assessment. A lot of the marks go for group work. Particularly a group glossary. If you submit all of your assignments it is nearly impossible to fail and very easy to get a high mark in the subject. You get marks for attending lectures and tutorials. Almost all of the assignments are very short - they generally have a limit of 300 words. You are encouraged to get as much information as possible in the smallest amount of words.

From what I remember Gy114 was marked from tutorials and small assigments to be submitted before the turorial, these are every second week.One Multiple choice test and an exam at the end of the year

GY123 consists of one mid semester MCQ worth 33.33% and one exam.

Im not sure but I think GY111 was one MCQ and one exam.

For economics -
Microeconomics EC101 You will have to attend a tutorial every week, they are worth 5% of your finAal grade. You will have two longish assignment worth 10% (5% each) an MCQ worth 10% and the final exam.

Macroeconomics EC102. There will be one MCQ(10%) and one Long assignment (10%) - you should work on this from the start of the semester/as soon as it is given. There will also be the exam. You must attend one computer lab and one tutorial on alternating weeks. Worth 5%

Macroeconomics 2 EC101B - There will be an MCQ worth 10% and Two assignments/set of questions worth 5% each. There will then be one tutorial per week, worth 5% and the final exam.

Quantitative Analysis EC105A - Sounds more difficult that it is. You have two assignments 5% each, once MCQ at 10% and tutorials/labs on alternating weeks worth 5%. Plus the final exam.

The economics assignments were generally short enough (A few pages with the graphs). They were a mix of giving opinions, working out definite answers/solving problems creating graphs and excel spreadsheets and analysing data. You will be asked to "discuss" relevant news paper articles and provide possible solutions to problems presented.

If you have any questions just ask me
Thank you so much for giving me all that information! I really appreciate it!
16-08-2012, 00:55   #442
LedZeppelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Really?? View Post
I'm considering going back as a mature next year. I'm looking at MH110 BA Digital Media. My worry is about how much maths might be involved as I am lost when it comes to maths.
I do have a huge interest in digital media, should I be offput by the maths element?
Howdy

I just completed 1st year of this course.
Firstly, in first year you study compulsory media and computer science modules and then you can pick an arts subject to study along with it.
After first year you have the option of either dropping your arts subject or dropping computer science.

Secondly, when it comes to choosing your arts subject, you don't have to pick maths and the computer science modules don't involve maths. (at least in what Ive done so far.) So you can avoid it altogether!

Thirdly, if you do decide to pick maths as your arts subject, it's not too bad. In my opinion the worst module is Calculus but as long as you go to lectures, do the assignments etc you'll do fine. Theres also a maths support centre on campus for any extra help you need

If you're passionate for digital media then go for it! Hope this helps.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion