The society has been created in such a way to be as fair as possible to golfers of all abilities. It is a chance for everyone to play the game we love in a more relaxed environment. Everybody from beginners having never hit a ball to a scratch golfer are welcome to play. The main aims and objectives are for everybody to get out and have fun, meet new people, get to play some great golf courses and hopefully during the year be in with a chance of winning something for your efforts should you happen to play well. Official handicaps are not essential as the society can provide one for you. Remember everyone is welcome.
• From next season and every subsequent season a €30 joining fee will apply . Other costs may arise throughout the year but these will be advised in the various threads we start regarding each outing.
• There will be 7 golf outings per year including the Captains prize. All outings will be marked in stableford points. For each outing there will be prizes for the following. 1st place, 2nd place, 3rd place, lowest gross, longest drive and nearest the pin. In conjunction with these prizes there will also be a 2’s club, player of the year and a match play event.
• To qualify for Captains prize you must have 3 cards in on the given year and have your society membership paid in full to be able to win the event.
• The player of the year will be measured again on a Stableford point’s basis. As there will be 7 outings per year including your best 5 scores shall be added together and the person with the most amount of points at the end of the year shall take the title.
• For the match play event, the top 16 players from the previous year will qualify to go head to head. The same situation of top 5 cards from previous year shall apply to qualify, provisional handicap scores do not qualify for this event. Match play format: Player’s shall play off their handicap as it stands at the beginning of the society year and this will not change for the remainder of the match play event. Lowest player goes to scratch and it’s the full difference in handicaps. E.g : Player 1 plays off 5 and Player 2 plays off 18. Player 1 goes to scratch. The difference in handicaps is 13 shots. Player 2 has a shot over player 1 on index 1-13. Should the game go to extra holes the shots should be taken where they fall again as on the initial 18 holes.
• 2’s club works as follows: A par 3 hole will be chosen before each event. Entry fee is €3. For anyone who has a birdie or better on this chosen hole shall win the spoils. If there are multiple winners the pot shall be divided equally. If nobody has a birdie the pot shall carry over to the next event. If the pot carries over anybody wishing to enter the 2’s club who had not entered the previous event will be asked to pay for previous event also.
• All golfers new to the society shall be reviewed. This is on the basis of their GUI handicap if any, ability, experience playing the game, recent scores etc. to try and obtain a fair handicap for the society. Golfers with an official GUI who are actively still playing club/society golf shall play off their official handicap for the first two comps until the committee can observe their scores and adjust it accordingly if needed.
• Golfers with no official GUI shall be reviewed and then given a provisional handicap to begin based on the assessment. Complete beginners shall receive a handicap of 18 and somebody who has played a limited amount of golf but who does not obtain an official handicap will receive 14. The committee feels this covers most abilities and can give a very good reflection of a more accurate handicap going forward. Please note : This society is about having fun. Honesty and etiquette are valued much more than prizes so it’s up to all golfers to be honest about their abilities when being reviewed.
• Prize winners: 1st place and Gross winners in any competition shall be cut 2 shots from their handicap. 2nd and 3rd shall receive a 1 shot reduction.
• A handicap buffer will be in place in all outings. It will again be based on stableford points. It will be a 5 points rule. It works as follows: The average score of the overall 1st, 2nd and 3rd prize winners on the day will be worked out. If any player falls within 5 points of this average score their handicap shall remain the same for the next event.
• For all other golfers who do not fall within the 5 points rule they shall receive .5 back to their handicap for the next outing.
• The committee shall have the option to cut or award handicaps as they see fit. When deciding on a player’s handicap it will go in front of the committee of and be based on the 2 cards given while playing on the provisional handicap. All decisions will be made in the best interest of the whole society and not any individual.
• No buggies allowed unless for medical reasons
• Prizes will be awarded after every second outing, prizes unclaimed by Captains day will be forfeited and added to prize pool for said day.
Non Members / Visitors Section
• Non-members pay cost of course + €10 at each event
• They are entitled to win visitors prize, nearest the pin, longest drive, 2's club but must collect the prize at the following outing or get it collected, otherwise this is forfeit
• They are not entitled to enter GOTY, Captains Prize and are not eligible for selection to the Ryder Jug
• Non-members can become members by paying the €30 less anything they have paid over the members price at outings? ie. if members paid €30 and non members paid €35 at Thurles, non-members can join for paying an additional €25 at the next outing
Nearest the Pin(*)
Longest Drive (*)
Please note: the committee can at their discretion substitute prizes for green fee's received from courses we play.
* = Can be either / both, to be decided prior to the event