Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

12-06-2012, 01:08   #9181
Senna
Habitual User

Watched CONDORMAN last week and really enjoyed it. Not a great story or acting, just an entertaining (kids) film to watch on a rainy day. If you seen it as a kid you will enjoy it more.
7/10

Just finished watching THE GAME and at the end of it i really had to think if i liked it or not. The twists were unexpected and designed to confuse but its nice to be surprised by a film. Everything "falls" into place a bit to perfect, although the story, acting and suspense more than makes up for any flaws.
6/10
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
12-06-2012, 03:44   #9182
johnny_ultimate
Production Model EVA-02

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari

Ye olde silent horror classic. Stands out mostly for its astonishingly unique set design - full of distorted architecture and nightmarishly sharp edges. The overall design of the film, while clearly quite theatrical, puts modern films to shame. The film itself is a fun little yarn about a psychopathic doctor who shows up at a funfair with a lad in a coffin. Murders promptly occur. But there's a twist!

It's nice and compact at 70 minutes, and is well worth a curiosity watch for fans of classic or horror cinema to help contextualise everything that followed.
(4) thanks from:
12-06-2012, 09:49   #9183
Tony EH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboxxx View Post
24 hour party people Loved this film, loved the subject, the cameos, the music, loved the narration to the camera.

The only thing I could fault was I kept thinking Alan Partridge rather than Tony Wilson....prob just me tho.
No, me too. Kept waiting for "A-Ha!"
(2) thanks from:
12-06-2012, 13:14   #9184
Valmont

I watched Fantasia a few nights ago. Very strange but wonderful and I loved it!
12-06-2012, 19:55   #9185
Raoul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboxxx View Post
24 hour party people Loved this film, loved the subject, the cameos, the music, loved the narration to the camera.

The only thing I could fault was I kept thinking Alan Partridge rather than Tony Wilson....prob just me tho.
Watched this earlier and I agree about the Partridge comparison. Still thought it was a very good movie. Mostly enjoyable due to the music which is what it says it is all about.

Now what to watch after the football.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
12-06-2012, 23:09   #9186
Ciaran_B

The Pact

As a woman struggles to come to grips with her past in the wake of her mother's death, an unsettling presence emerges in her childhood home.

I’m a big horror film fan so I sometimes feel obliged to see horror films when they appear in the cinema. I’ve got to fly my genre colours so I took a break from the football and checked this out tonight.

This is the story of sisters who return to the family home after the death of their mother. One sister arrives first and before the other arrives she disappears. Once her sister arrives things start to get spooky; strange text messages, slamming doors, poltergeist attacks etc. She goes to the police to tell them off her sisters disappearance and the scares in the house but only one cop tries to help her. The cop and the sister lead parallel investigations into what happened in the house.

I thought this was fantastic. It does nothing new but everything it does it does brilliantly. There’s an excellent performance from Caity Lotz as the lead and some very good scares. The atmosphere is tense and bleak and there’s a couple of excellent twists. There’s one or two plot threads that aren’t properly resolved but otherwise this is a fine film. One for horror fans and thriller fans alike.

8/10
12-06-2012, 23:21   #9187
johnny_ultimate
Production Model EVA-02

The Turin Horse - breezy, lighthearted comedy from eternal optimist Bela Tarr. The time flies by. Recommended for first dates and family outings alike.

But seriously: one of the best films released in a while. For all its pretensions and challenging content, it's a haunting and oppressive experience throughout. Finding poetry through repetition and camera movements, it is somewhat of an endurance test but a rewarding one.
Thanks from:
12-06-2012, 23:28   #9188
krudler

The People vs George Lucas, funny documentary about Lucas messing around with the Star Wars movies and ruining Indy 4:

Thanks from:
12-06-2012, 23:31   #9189
BUBBLE WRAP
Closed Account

Stand by me. (1983)

I give it a 10/10, Im not really into these kinda films. But I must admit, it really is a good film.
(4) thanks from:
Advertisement
13-06-2012, 02:00   #9190
kevohmsford

The Help I kept putting this film on hold but watched it tonight and really enjoyed it.
13-06-2012, 02:16   #9191
mikemac1

Einstein and Eddington

Ok it sounds not so interesting
To do with Einstein in Berlin and Professor Eddington [I'd never heard of him either] in Cambridge trying to prove theories

Set in 1914 and works through the war years

Both have issues when their other scientists turn to making explosives and gas and putting their knowledge to war.

It's pretty upbeat and held my interest

Andy Serkis was top class as Einstein
That Einstein, he was one eccentric fecker If he was in Ireland we'd call him a gas man

Thought it was very good
Very talented cast and and based on a true story

Last edited by mikemac1; 13-06-2012 at 02:18.
13-06-2012, 07:36   #9192
Judgement Day
Banned

"The Last September" (1999) on DVD - hard to find! An excellent take on the last days of the Anglo Irish Ascendancy. A young woman in the 'Big House' comes of age against the background of Black & Tan and IRA violence. Some great acting (and accents) from Michael Gambon, Maggie Smith and the young British officer at the heart of things played by David Tennant (Dr.Who). If you can't wait to find a DVD, the whole movie can be viewed on YouTube. 8/10

Thanks from:
13-06-2012, 08:46   #9193
Tipsy McSwagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUBBLE WRAP View Post
Stand by me. (1983)

I give it a 10/10, Im not really into these kinda films. But I must admit, it really is a good film.
1986, plus 2 for flinching.
(4) thanks from:
13-06-2012, 14:54   #9194
Fysh

Finally got around to watching Thor the other night, and thought it was a disappointingly meh load of twaddle. Easily the least interesting role I've seen Hemsworth in, and I was disappointed to see that the one part I found interesting (where Thor starts to explain Yggdrasil & the interconnectedness of the 9 realms to whatserface) was fairly short. It was ok, but I'm glad as hell I didn't pay £10 to see it at the cinema.

If this is what I should expect from the Avengers, I'm glad I've not bothered with it so far.
13-06-2012, 17:35   #9195
BUBBLE WRAP
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tipsy McSwagger View Post
1986, plus 2 for flinching.
I was only born in 1993, so I not old enough to remember it being in the pictures.
Thread Closed