Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

25-05-2012, 09:51   #1
techguy

Send a message via Skype™ to techguy
Headless W7 box and "start Windows normally"

Hi Guys,

I'm running a headless version of Windows 7 for a media server.

Sometimes when the box is starting up the boot process will stall at the following message
"windows did not..." and gives you the option to start Windows normally or enter safe mode or whatever.

Is there anyway to get Windows to always start and never show this message. Basically always choose start Windows normally?

Cheers.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
25-05-2012, 10:26   #2
Alun

On any Windows 7 installation I've ever seen, the "start windows normally" option gets chosen automatically after a 30 second timeout.
25-05-2012, 10:27   #3
BostonB

Bit of pain when running headless. Its usually (for me) because the box didn't shut down correctly. Maybe look at that.
Thanks from:
28-05-2012, 19:30   #4
techguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alun View Post
On any Windows 7 installation I've ever seen, the "start windows normally" option gets chosen automatically after a 30 second timeout.
I know that's usually the case on my regular PC. But I have had cases where the computer just wouldn't boot. I'd plug in a monitor and it'd be stuck on the screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonB View Post
Bit of pain when running headless. Its usually (for me) because the box didn't shut down correctly. Maybe look at that.
Yea, that's usually what I put it down to alright but I can't prevent that from a power outage (I don't have a UPS). Is this only an issue on consumer Windows.

I doubt it would happen on enterprise versions i.e. Server 2003/2008.

It doesn't happen too often so I guess i'll just have to live with it.
Thanks from:
29-05-2012, 09:14   #5
Alun

A small UPS that has enough capacity to at least initiate a clean shutdown is cheap enough these days. Something like this for example ... http://www.elara.ie/productdetail.as...ode=MME2704388
Thanks from:
Advertisement
03-06-2012, 23:23   #6
techguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alun View Post
A small UPS that has enough capacity to at least initiate a clean shutdown is cheap enough these days. Something like this for example ... http://www.elara.ie/productdetail.as...ode=MME2704388
Those things are the business. Prob do without it for the moment though. Thanks.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion