Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

26-05-2012, 17:38   #1
MakeEmLaugh

Any good legal drugs for anxiety?

A friend of mine has a keen interest in drama and performance, and regularly auditions for plays in college. The problem is he gets quite anxious getting up in front of an audience. His heartbeat quickens and he sometimes stumbles over his lines. This doesn't happen all the time, and when it goes well, he tells me it's exhilarating. He knows the best thing would be for him to just overcome his fears, but he's wondering if there are any legal, over-the-counter drugs he can take for anxiety, to calm him down?

Another friend of ours used to fly back and forth to Europe a lot, and she would take Valium, which is much more readily available in mainland Europe than Ireland, I believe. Is there any milder equivalent you can get in a chemists? He doesn't want to go to a doctor to get a prescription or anything (and he doesn't want to start getting drunk beforehand either!).

Any advice appreciated!
Advertisement
26-05-2012, 18:00   #2
brightspark

Try Rescue Remedy

http://www.bachflower.com/Rescue_Remedy.htm

Can be got in chemists and healthfood stores
28-05-2012, 15:16   #3
inisboffin

Rescue remedy is used by a lot of actors. For some people though (I'm one) it had the odd effect of making things worse! Almost like the remedy heightened the problem first! Think we're in the minority though. Not suitable for anyone who has a problem with alcohol too, as it's a brandy base.

'Beta Blockers' are used by a number of actors in The States, and are legal there, but not sure about here. Maybe ask your doctor?
28-05-2012, 15:22   #4
brightspark

Quote:
Originally Posted by inisboffin View Post
Rescue remedy is used by a lot of actors. For some people though (I'm one) it had the odd effect of making things worse! Almost like the remedy heightened the problem first! Think we're in the minority though. Not suitable for anyone who has a problem with alcohol too, as it's a brandy base.

On the link there is a non alcohol version, don't know anyone who has tried it.

Also OP you don't want to loose too much of the 'edge', most of the best performers suffer from stage fright. It's not called the green room for nothing!
31-05-2012, 01:07   #5
inisboffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightspark View Post
On the link there is a non alcohol version, don't know anyone who has tried it.

Also OP you don't want to loose too much of the 'edge', most of the best performers suffer from stage fright. It's not called the green room for nothing!
Ah yes, there's a kids' one now, didn't know that!

I'd agree that a little nerves are great, but I do know of some that it actually wrecks their lives! Most don't act because of this, but for the ones that do, a solution would make life so much better.
Advertisement
02-06-2012, 15:30   #6
Jellybaby1

If your friend has been unsuccessful in the auditions then that is a factor in the nerves as well. If he had some success it would be a great step forward for him. I wish him luck but as they say, a lot of famous actors continue shaking in the wings but you don't want it to demolish your performance before you start.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion