Editing programs - Page 14 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

12-12-2011, 14:49   #196
eleven1

i like Adobe programs , premiere , after effects... or u can try sony vegas , youtube has plenty of video tutorials. also if u r doin HD videos & long videos, you should have a good cpu + plenty of ram . this will help when rendering the videos .
Advertisement
03-02-2012, 18:50   #197
bennz

Any one good at Encore?
13-02-2012, 12:13   #198
Tom Harward

have you got anything fully free to edit videos?
18-03-2012, 20:43   #199
pandaboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mensch Maschine View Post
Hi there,

I appreciate your reply. Can I just ask you one other thing. I got Mpeg Streamclip to transcode my .mov files from the 7D. Is there a safe, or preferable file type that's ideal for Premier?

This is all new to me. And, as for applications doing the transcoding for you, what ones do? Are you automatically prompted as you import video?

Thanks for the link aswell
MPEG Streamclip is your god. Compress to Pro Res 422 as h.264 can be niggly, even if an application says it has native support for it. Go to advanced settings or options and then adjust accordingly. I usually keep my quality at either high or higher, as it keeps artifacts at bay especially when you're uploading to YouTube. Also, change your audio settings as well because the default setting is 44000KHz and you should have it at 48000KHz.
Your files will probably become 3-4 times bigger because of the pro res codec but it'll perform perfectly for you. Then export using the media encoder with your editing software, I usually encode back to h.264 as it holds the quality at a smaller size.

I'm going to be making a video tutorial on MPEG Streamclip in the next few days so anyone that needs help with encoding it should do the trick.
18-03-2012, 20:56   #200
pandaboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatrat1982 View Post
I all, I am new here and I have some questions. I am currently studying video editing in school well I will be shortly it's part of my major. Anyways I currently have Sony Vegas 10 and that is what I have been using forever, started with Acid 2.0, switched to Vegas from Acid around version 6 and have stuck with it mostly for video editing. I still have Vegas 6 on my old machine but I prefer 10 it's so much better in every way.

Anyways here is the deal I do intend to get into the business someday after college and our school uses all MAC software and so far I have had some difficulty adjusting to the MAC OS from Windows. Since switching to Windows 7 recently using MAC has gotten some what less confusing, I was previously stuck on Windows XP. So what I am wondering is if I am used to Sony Vegas how easy would it be for me to adjust to say Adobe's product as that is what our school is really about they apparently teach everything Adobe.

What I mean is would I have a hard time switching from Vegas or would it be something that I could adjust to relatively easily? I mostly ask because if a lot of people tell me the switch is relatively painless then I will keep using Vegas for myself and use the stuff the school gives me at school otherwise if people tell me Vegas and Adobe are two different ball games I might just pick up a copy of the Adobe product myself and get a heads up feel for it.

Also does anyone in the industry use Vegas or is it really not a respected as the others?
It doesn't really matter which application you use once you know your codecs and video formats and whether your application supports these or not.

A lot of places recommend using such and such application but it's only because of their in house systems. So if you're a freelance editor and you're doing work for a production house and they use Vegas then it's recommended you use the same application.......but.......each application has the option to allow you to export the code of the edit onto an XML file which is readable by other applications. You import the file into the application and the changes should be made, it's handy as hell and saved my bacon a few times. A lot of people will recommend you stick with the big 3 - Vegas, Premier, FCP.

I recommend you look at what work you want to do. If you're a hobbyist then there's no need to invest x amount of money in a pro application because it will probably be redundant for a lot of the features and you've blown a lot of money on a nice shiny new car that's only going to be driven on Sundays.
If you want to make professional videos then I recommend checking out some tutorials first at each application and see which one works easiest for you. A lot of applications are the same with some GUI differences and of course name, but it just comes down to what you want to do.

It's not that hard to adjust when switching once you're familiar with the functions of your application. I haven't used FCP X yet so I don't know how this would conform.

I'm a big fan of premiere myself, only because it integrates nicely with AE and has some really nice options. I was using FCP 5,6 & 7 for most of my work and found the transition quite easy. Keyboard shortcuts were frustrating as hell but you go along with it
Advertisement
19-03-2012, 02:07   #201
Fighting Irish

Using AVS at the mo instead of movie maker, just for simple things. love it!!
21-04-2012, 14:24   #202
madforthebike

for mac, final cut pro...for windows, sony vegas pro
24-04-2012, 09:49   #203
Username99
Closed Account

Dont really know if i'm posting this in the correct place, but i'm a complete noob to the video editing area. Just wondering how to go about blurring faces from a small low budget video ad i'm helping a friend with.

Anyone able to point me in the right direction? Information, process, software etc...

All help appreciated
24-04-2012, 10:34   #204
Bellu

Blurring face in the video?
Then maybe you could lower the quality?
I use video tools from aneesoft, do some simple editings well, but don't know if this is OK.
Advertisement
25-04-2012, 11:16   #205
Username99
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellu View Post
Blurring face in the video?
Then maybe you could lower the quality?
I use video tools from aneesoft, do some simple editings well, but don't know if this is OK.
I think I may not have explained my situation clearly. I want to blur the faces of 'bystanders' so as they will not be readily identifiable in the video, much the same as you might see in t.v. shows, such as street crime uk etc... Any idea of how to go about this and what software could use. Also Is if very labour intensive. Thanks again
25-04-2012, 11:43   #206
Miguel_Sanchez

Mod: Music
Quote:
Originally Posted by Username99 View Post
I think I may not have explained my situation clearly. I want to blur the faces of 'bystanders' so as they will not be readily identifiable in the video, much the same as you might see in t.v. shows, such as street crime uk etc... Any idea of how to go about this and what software could use. Also Is if very labour intensive. Thanks again
In very broad terms - you can do it by duplicating the video layer, applying a blur effect to it and then applying a mask to it so it only covers the face and then shows through to the unblurred layer underneath. You will then have to track the mask so it stays with the person as they move.
25-04-2012, 18:06   #207
Lump

Send a message via MSN to Lump
Depending how many people and how neatly you want to do it, it could take you hours!
01-06-2012, 10:55   #208
Jessica0

Video file merging can be done easily and quickly with a piece of free open source software called VirtualDub.
VirtualDub is the video equivalent of Audacity. You can use it to edit your video files any way you want them – you can merge the video files, split them, save the source audio, capture screenshots, fix the colouring in the video footage and much more.

It’s worth taking some time to explore VirtualDub in depth if you’re serious about video footage editing. I use VirtualDub, for example, to edit my videos after filming on my video camera.
01-06-2012, 10:57   #209
Jessica0

I will show you how to split video files (also see how to split regular files to pieces) into separate files which is also an extremely handy skill to practice.

Please note that the video files in question HAVE to be “avi” files.
When you have opened VirtualDub, go to File–>Open Video File.

Now upload the first “avi” file you want to have in your new video file.
Next, go to File–>Append AVI segment :

Now upload the second “avi” file you want to have in your new video file.
If you have more than 2 files, continue to return to File–>Append AVI segment and attach as many files as you want. Watch the size of the new file though! Don’t let it get too big!
When you have attached all the files together into one big new file,the next step is to go to Video–>Direct Stream Copy. If you don’t choose this option and go for the default “Full Processing Mode”, you’ll be waiting for ever for your new file to be made. A DSC on the other hand will be made for you in less than 60 seconds (often a lot less) :

Finally, go to File–>Save Segmented AVI to save your work to your computer :

Put in a new name for your new combined file and then VirtualDub will get to work, merging all the files into one big one for you.
Once it’s finished, test it and you’ll see that the merging was so good, you don’t even see any disturbance in the picture where one file ended and another began! There will be the odd occasion though when the sound may get out of sync a little but some advanced users may be able to quickly fix that problem. I am not knowledgable enough to be able to fix sound synchronisation problems.
VirtualDub is an amazing piece of free software. Along with Audacity, you have all you need to edit and put together video and audio on your computer – without any of it costing you a single penny. I highly recommend you download this app to your computer and take the time to go through it.
09-06-2012, 13:38   #210
victormorgan

When you are looking for the perfect video software there are three main aspects to consider: import abilities, editing features and export options. Each of these elements is important for creating and sharing professional-looking videos, so we looked for products that include tools and features to address these needs. To ensure we recommend only video editing software that has all the features you need in an easy-to-use interface.

tiener autoverzekering politiek

Last edited by victormorgan; 09-06-2012 at 13:41.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion