RCA Single Extension - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

29-05-2012, 12:03   #1
sin0city

RCA Single Extension

Hi all,

I have an amp and sub that are connected by a single rca connection.

The cable's not long enough.

I have a left and right rca extension cable (male to female)...

My question is can I use one side of that cable (i.e. the red or white) to extend the single one and if so, will it affect sound quality?

I've searched but can't sem to find an answer...

Cheers
Advertisement
29-05-2012, 21:38   #2
cnocbui

If you mean split the cable lengthwise and plugging one half into the other to make it longer - go for it. Shouldn't affect the sound quality at all.
Thanks from:
29-05-2012, 21:56   #3
Slaphead07

Quote:
Originally Posted by sin0city View Post

My question is can I use one side of that cable (i.e. the red or white) to extend the single one and if so, will it affect sound quality?
No problem at all. Rather than split the cable (it might be useful in the future) just use red or white.
Thanks from:
30-05-2012, 09:57   #4
sin0city

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaphead07 View Post
No problem at all. Rather than split the cable (it might be useful in the future) just use red or white.
Grand, I was just concerned that the red and white were like 2 halves of the one whereas the single cable had all in one and I'd lose something by using just the red or white of the extension...

But is it the case that all 3 (the single, the red and the white) are really all the exact same cable i.e. that they are all interchangeable and the colour coding is for nothing more than to make it easier to connect stuff up??

Sorry if that isn't explained very well.
30-05-2012, 12:59   #5
Slaphead07

Quote:
But is it the case that all 3 (the single, the red and the white) are really all the exact same cable i.e. that they are all interchangeable and the colour coding is for nothing more than to make it easier to connect stuff up??
Pretty much. A dedicated sub woofer cable would usually be a heavier gauge wire to carry the lower frequencies (and I'm not getting into a cable debate with anyone on this!) where as the left & right RCA cable could be any grade.
Advertisement
30-05-2012, 14:05   #6
sin0city

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaphead07 View Post
Pretty much. A dedicated sub woofer cable would usually be a heavier gauge wire to carry the lower frequencies (and I'm not getting into a cable debate with anyone on this!) where as the left & right RCA cable could be any grade.
Okay, great. Safe to say that I'd have to be listening very carefully to tell the difference between a heavier gauge cable and a standard one?
30-05-2012, 15:01   #7
cnocbui

Safe to say you wouldn't hear a difference no matter how carefully you listen. Skinny little headphone cables have no problem getting bass frequencies to your ears.
Thanks from:
30-05-2012, 15:21   #8
sin0city

Okay, thanks all. One final question, does it make a difference that the extension cable I have isn't shieled. (It's 5M rca with gold connectors)
30-05-2012, 16:47   #9
Slaphead07

Quote:
Okay, thanks all. One final question, does it make a difference that the extension cable I have isn't shieled. (It's 5M rca with gold connectors)
It probably is shielded. Gold makes no difference unless the entire cable run and every solder is gold too.
Advertisement
31-05-2012, 12:02   #10
earpiece
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post
Safe to say you wouldn't hear a difference no matter how carefully you listen. Skinny little headphone cables have no problem getting bass frequencies to your ears.
"Skinny little headphone cables" are carrying milliwatt's!
Thanks from:
31-05-2012, 16:45   #11
cnocbui

Quote:
Originally Posted by earpiece View Post
"Skinny little headphone cables" are carrying milliwatt's!
Power handling wasn't the topic.
31-05-2012, 21:08   #12
The Ritz

Mod Comment:

This is going way off the topic of the OP's question.

There's a stickey about cables at the top of every HE forum for a good reason - the usual nonsense and trolling about cables the inevitably arises.

Any further trolling about cables will create a holiday from the HE Forums for the person who posts it.

If you have any questions about this, do not derail the thread by posting them here, raise the matter with me by PM.

Thanks,

Ritz.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion