Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
30-05-2012, 00:44   #1
Procrastastudy
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6,087
Finally settled on a new build

So I treated myself and spent silly money on an Asus Z77 Sabertooth and a 3750K. I'm wondering if anyone has had experience with Ivy Bridge overclocking and the Corsair H80. I've heard that overclocking on air is much more difficult than on Sandybridge because of the temp ramp up being so quick. Is the H80 a good solution / any good in general. Does anyone know if you just stick another fan on a H60 have you essentially got the same thing but without the fan controls?

Just incase anyone is wondering why I spent silly money on the Asus - I think heat killed the last mobo so the thermal radar and 5 year warranty appealed. Have to admit I love the look of the thing too!

Other question - has anyone had the cahooneys to try and remove the heat spreader on a 3750K and replace the crappy thermal paste with something better?

As for all the help - Thanks to you all! And thanks for the gratz Monotype I didn't even realise I'd hit 1000 posts

Last question on PSUs if I may - If my PSU is fried - I decided to get a new one along with a 7950 and run with one card to reduce heat. Would something like the XFX 750w be okay with this setup, 2 SSDs and 5 Hdds?

Last edited by Procrastastudy; 30-05-2012 at 00:47.
Procrastastudy is offline  
Advertisement
30-05-2012, 10:51   #2
Monotype
Registered User
 
Monotype's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Krakatoa
Posts: 6,253
The XFX 750W is a fine PSU, although it's a bit overkill. Are you planning crossfire? You'd probably fit 3 7950s in there with a 750W PSU!

Last edited by Monotype; 30-05-2012 at 12:34.
Monotype is offline  
Thanks from:
30-05-2012, 12:27   #3
Procrastastudy
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6,087
What about the Coolermaster GXlite 500w if I only plan on using 1 card?

I have a fair few case fans (7 + 2 on MB) and a H80 closed loop liquid cooling system + quite a few HDDs (2 SSD and 5 HDD)
Procrastastudy is offline  
30-05-2012, 12:28   #4
uncle_sam_ie
Registered User
 
uncle_sam_ie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cork
Posts: 2,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCDLawstudent View Post
What about the Coolermaster GXlite 500w if I only plan on using 1 card?

I have a fair few case fans (7 + 2 on MB) and a H80 closed loop liquid cooling system + quite a few HDDs (2 SSD and 5 HDD)
No, stay away from the Coolmaster GX.
uncle_sam_ie is offline  
(2) thanks from:
30-05-2012, 12:34   #5
Procrastastudy
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6,087
If it comes down to ordering from Komplett is there one you would recomomend?

I may need the PSU faster than I can get it from the other site.

http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/cata...u/default.aspx

Thanks!
Procrastastudy is offline  
Advertisement
30-05-2012, 12:41   #6
Monotype
Registered User
 
Monotype's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Krakatoa
Posts: 6,253
If you want to cut back on the money for the PSU, you could probably go as low as something like an XFX 550W or OCZ ZS. I think they were priced reasonably on dabs.
I'm not sure about the recent quality of the XFX 550W; I heard they changed around a bit and dropped one of the cables or something.

If you keep your eye on scan's today only page, they often have a few good PSUs come up. Seems to be at the weekend mostly. However, with the €15 delivery and poor sterling exchange rate at the moment, you might not be getting great value.

That's an awful lot of fans. You could put it into the extreme PSU calculator to see what you get.
http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp
Monotype is offline  
Thanks from:
30-05-2012, 12:46   #7
Monotype
Registered User
 
Monotype's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Krakatoa
Posts: 6,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCDLawstudent View Post
If it comes down to ordering from Komplett is there one you would recomomend?

I may need the PSU faster than I can get it from the other site.

http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/cata...u/default.aspx

Thanks!
The adata ones are reasonably good, but they've gotten very expensive since their first introduction. Similar quality to some of the corsairs.

I'd go for-
Adata/Antec/Coolermaster Silent Pro (not the others)/Corsair TXv2, TXM, GS, AX, HX. Not sure about those Thermaltakes, I'd have to read up on them.

Memoryc have a few PSUs too. Not tremendously cheap, but they have fast delivery for RAM anyway.
http://www.memoryc.com/pccomponents/powersupplies.html
Monotype is offline  
Thanks from:
30-05-2012, 12:47   #8
uncle_sam_ie
Registered User
 
uncle_sam_ie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cork
Posts: 2,644
If you want to get it from Komplett then this one is good http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/prod...t/details.aspx

Free delivery too
uncle_sam_ie is offline  
Thanks from:
30-05-2012, 12:51   #9
Procrastastudy
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6,087
I'm coming up on 500w without OCing using that (frankly amazing thanks!) wattage calculator would I be wise to invest in something beefier?

I'm replacing (possibly) a Coolermaster 1000w modualar PSU - I hope it hasnt gone but it may have done. Hence the rush if it has. Crazy Dutch holidays has already set me back a day on delivery!
Procrastastudy is offline  
Advertisement
30-05-2012, 12:52   #10
uncle_sam_ie
Registered User
 
uncle_sam_ie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cork
Posts: 2,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCDLawstudent View Post
I'm coming up on 500w without OCing using that (frankly amazing thanks!) wattage calculator would I be wise to invest in something beefier?

I'm replacing (possibly) a Coolermaster 1000w modualar PSU - I hope it hasnt gone but it may have done. Hence the rush if it has. Crazy Dutch holidays has already set me back a day on delivery!
How much did you want to spend on the PSU?
uncle_sam_ie is offline  
30-05-2012, 12:54   #11
Procrastastudy
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6,087
Price isnt really an issue - under a €100 if possible though.
Procrastastudy is offline  
30-05-2012, 12:59   #12
uncle_sam_ie
Registered User
 
uncle_sam_ie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cork
Posts: 2,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCDLawstudent View Post
Price isnt really an issue - under a €100 if possible though.
If it was me I'd go with this http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/prod...t/details.aspx
it's a seasonic OEM
uncle_sam_ie is offline  
Thanks from:
30-05-2012, 13:06   #13
Procrastastudy
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6,087
Thanks guys amazing help once again!

Only thing I think I'm not replacing is the case at this stage!

On that note...

If I'm forced to go with a mid tower any suggestions?

I'm using a CM Stacker 810 at the moment and cant put it on the desk as it looks like I'm trying to re-enact the opening scene of 2001: A Space Oddesy - the thing is massive!

I think I'd getting a bit paranoid about heat buts its under the dest with about 15cm clearance front and back for airflow...
Procrastastudy is offline  
30-05-2012, 13:17   #14
uncle_sam_ie
Registered User
 
uncle_sam_ie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cork
Posts: 2,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCDLawstudent View Post
Thanks guys amazing help once again!

Only thing I think I'm not replacing is the case at this stage!

On that note...

If I'm forced to go with a mid tower any suggestions?

I'm using a CM Stacker 810 at the moment and cant put it on the desk as it looks like I'm trying to re-enact the opening scene of 2001: A Space Oddesy - the thing is massive!

I think I'd getting a bit paranoid about heat buts its under the dest with about 15cm clearance front and back for airflow...
http://www.quietpc.com/products/pc-cases/fd-definer3
In white becuase, it's proven to make you PC go faster
As long as you don't have hot air sitting in your case you should be fine. You don't need a hurricane running through it just constant flow.
uncle_sam_ie is offline  
Thanks from:
30-05-2012, 13:48   #15
Skylinehead
Registered User
 
Skylinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Dublin
Posts: 2,694
Alternatively, http://www2.hardwareversand.de/Midi/...tzteil.article
Skylinehead is online now  
Thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet