Overrated Albums? - Page 13 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

18-05-2012, 15:42   #181
Iconwine

Am I the only one who thinks that Adele "21" is overrated?? Don't want to take away from her stunning vocals because they are undoubtedly world class but I personally dont think it is as good as 68 weeks on the chart insinuates!! A lot of hype can go a long way...
Advertisement
18-05-2012, 22:39   #182
Due North

Agree completely.And two Ivor Novello awards as well now......
21-05-2012, 13:33   #183
cloptrop
Banned

Captain Beefheart is extremely hard to listen to . Sometimes I think he just got lucky by randomly hitting notes.
21-05-2012, 15:17   #184
cloptrop
Banned

Just heard moonlight in Vermont though it blew my mind , Ill give the captain one last chance.
21-05-2012, 23:51   #185
Table Top Joe

I love the Captain!...but i cant stand most of "Trout Mask Replica",do yourself a favour and get "Safe As Milk",one of the bestest albums by anyone ever! he can be hard to get into but he has some great stuff,totally mad but great
Thanks from:
Advertisement
22-05-2012, 12:47   #186
cloptrop
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table Top Joe View Post
I love the Captain!...but i cant stand most of "Trout Mask Replica",do yourself a favour and get "Safe As Milk",one of the bestest albums by anyone ever! he can be hard to get into but he has some great stuff,totally mad but great
Got the safe as milk album today its alot better than trout mask , plastic factory is great , Ive only got halfway through it so far.
Thanks from:
22-05-2012, 21:23   #187
Table Top Joe

Great stuff! "Sure N Nuff Yes I Do" is my favourite song of his

Check this out from "The Spotlight Kid",if you like "Safe As Milk" youll like that too id say,and "Shiny Beast"! thats a good un too.....

"Im Gonna Booglarize Ya Baby"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjTTu...eature=related
Thanks from:
29-05-2012, 22:26   #188
Ulveren

'Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller)' is another album by the Captain I'd highly recommend!
Thanks from:
05-06-2012, 17:50   #189
Delightfully Pessimistic
Closed Account

`Well quite basically anything by U2
Muse: The Resistance. Don't get me wrong I absolutely LOVE their first four albums, but this was way to commercial poppy for my taste and I found Exogenesis Symphony majorly overrated, It's nothing we haven't heard on Origin of Symmetry or Absolution.

Metallica: Death Magnetic. While it is an improvement on St. Anger (Well to be honest the band taking turns farting into a microphone for an hour would be an improvement over St. Anger) It just seems rehashed, it seems as though there's about 3 decent tracks and the rest is filler.
Advertisement
27-06-2012, 14:10   #190
Prettyblack

For me its OK Computer. I've listened to it (or at least tried to) many times, and I just don't get it. I find Thom Yorke very annoying, OK his voice is alright but he often lets the voice serve himself rather than the song. Like, just sing it right? I feel the same way about Jeff Buckley (which is a whole other thing).
31-08-2012, 17:21   #191
bokmurphy

Coldplay's latest offering seemed fairly over rated to me.
06-09-2012, 05:21   #192
TAlderson

I second Jeff Buckley. Never understood the appeal, everything seems so overwrought vocally.

-Tyler
(2) thanks from:
10-09-2012, 15:12   #193
CUPimus
Banned

cant really understand all the hype around Bon Iver, won best alternative album at the grammys.
Thanks from:
10-09-2012, 22:38   #194
SilverScreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAlderson View Post
I second Jeff Buckley. Never understood the appeal, everything seems so overwrought vocally.

-Tyler
I've always liked Jeff Buckley's vocals, I've heard vocals a lot more overwrought. But it's not just his vocals that appeal to me, it's more the combination of his vocal style and guitar style. It's a combination that works wonders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUPimus View Post
cant really understand all the hype around Bon Iver, won best alternative album at the grammys.
Yeah I agree they are a bit overrated and certainly wouldn't be one of my favourite current artists. But I still think For Emma, Forever Ago and their self-titled are good albums.

Anyway for overrated albums I think Pavement's debut Slanted & Enchanted is a bit overrated. Not that it's a bad album of course and it does have some really great songs like 'Summer Babe (Winter Version)', 'Here' and 'Perfume-V'. But it does have some really patchy half-baked moments that do little for the album as a whole. Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain was certainly an improvement for them.
10-09-2012, 22:40   #195
Chazz Michael Michaels
Closed Account

Anyone who mentions Pet Sounds is a musical Neanderthal. Go back to your three chord power rock albums...
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion