Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
View Poll Results: How will you vote?
Yes 239 31.36%
No 420 55.12%
Cant/Wont Vote 103 13.52%
Voters: 762. You may not vote on this poll

28-05-2012, 21:43   #886
dvpower
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbyrd View Post
Is it not dependent on this one going through? and do the government have to let us vote of it if we vote no to this one?
It isn't dependent on this one going through. Access to the ESM is dependent on this one going through. Setting it up isn't.

As far as I know there isn't going to be a referendum on the ESM treaty.
Advertisement
28-05-2012, 21:44   #887
dvpower
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbyrd View Post
Yes article 36. 4 go read it .. I posted a link ages ago...
HERE
http://www.european-council.europa.e...tesm2.en12.pdf
Do they have any vacancies?
(3) thanks from:
28-05-2012, 21:47   #888
cbyrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvpower View Post
It isn't dependent on this one going through. Access to the ESM is dependent on this one going through. Setting it up isn't.

As far as I know there isn't going to be a referendum on the ESM treaty.
So it's a given then Holy crap has anyone read the text of it?? nightmare stuff . . they'll be a law onto themselves cos they vote in their own head of it too .. that's NUTS
Thanks from:
28-05-2012, 23:39   #889
woodoo

So it looks like we get to bail out the banks ourselves with no help and if we vote yes to this treaty we get to put money into a fund that may be used to bail out other EU banks. Laughable
Thanks from:
28-05-2012, 23:43   #890
SafeSurfer

If the electorate vote no on Thursday will Enda Kenny's leadership of Fine Gael be called into question? His refusal to debate the treaty in the media shows a distinct lack of leadership if the treaty really is in the best interests of the country.
Advertisement
28-05-2012, 23:52   #891
dvpower
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodoo View Post
So it looks like we get to bail out the banks ourselves with no help and if we vote yes to this treaty we get to put money into a fund that may be used to bail out other EU banks. Laughable
We got loads of funding for the bank bailouts
29-05-2012, 00:17   #892
WallyGUFC

If you're not fully aware of the consequences of a Yes vote, vote No or don't vote at all. And don't believe anything either side tell you. Only thing for it is read the treaty yourself and come to an informed decision. Sadly, most people havn't a clue and will still vote yes because of fear, political allegiance or because of some stupid generic "it's in our interests to stay in Europe" nonsense. If only boards polls reflected the wider Irish public. Boardsies seem to live in the real world, the rest havn't a clue
29-05-2012, 00:20   #893
dvpower
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyGUFC View Post
If you're not fully aware of the consequences of a Yes vote, vote No or don't vote at all.
If you're not fully aware of the consequences of a No vote, should you vote Yes or don't vote at all?
29-05-2012, 00:41   #894
Chucky the tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyGUFC View Post
If you're not fully aware of the consequences of a Yes vote, vote No or don't vote at all. And don't believe anything either side tell you. Only thing for it is read the treaty yourself and come to an informed decision. Sadly, most people havn't a clue and will still vote yes because of fear, political allegiance or because of some stupid generic "it's in our interests to stay in Europe" nonsense. If only boards polls reflected the wider Irish public. Boardsies seem to live in the real world, the rest havn't a clue

The real world where Dylan Haskins is a TD? Thank God I don't live that real world, sounds horrible.
Advertisement
29-05-2012, 01:18   #895
ilovesleep
Closed Account

I was reading up briefly about this treaty and a few bits and pieces does not make sense to me.

With lisbon - no banks should be left behind.
With this treaty - keep your deficit under control.

During the 80s recession banks needed bailing out.
This recession, banks needed bailing out.

It appears that during a recession banks need bailing out.
Recessions happen every 20 years or so.

So lets say for example, the next 10 years we spend trying to climb out from this recession. Then the next 10 we get a good spell of growth or whatever and in 20 years time there is another recession.

A public spending deficit will always run at times of a recession but saving banks will lead to more money going out leading to a larger deficit.

Does that make any sense at all?
29-05-2012, 01:25   #896
ilovesleep
Closed Account

Something like this would have been beneficial back in 07/08 at the start of the recession. We wouldn't have the large deficit that we would see now today because the government would have been forced to take measures so that a deficit wouldn't spiral out of control and today's deficit problems are due to the fact the FF did feck all when the bust came about. A treaty like this back in 07/08 would have meant that perhaps social welfare at 02/03 sums but we would be in a better position with less debt.

Not sure how this treaty will help us move forward.
29-05-2012, 01:28   #897
ilovesleep
Closed Account

Anyways I think I will be voting no because france and germany didn't even push this treaty.

Enda Kenny is a muppet and I'll be voting the opposite of what he wants us to vote on. He wants a yes vote so I'm voting no.
29-05-2012, 01:30   #898
es-cee

the one thing i have learned, in my time on this planet (and in this country) is that whatever is good for the government, is bad for the working class (i.e. me). enda kenny wont even get into a public debate about this with anyone, which leaves me to believe, he really hasn't a clue what the whole thing is about, and doesn't want to be blamed when it all falls apart, a few months down the line, and the public are pointing fingers. i would never try to influence peoples votes one way or the other, but austerity will hold this country back no end, and i don't want to see that happen.

it's a no from me, on fiscal.
(2) thanks from:
29-05-2012, 02:26   #899
Roonbox

Can anyone tell me if I can vote No to this disaster from abroad? Currently in Canada
29-05-2012, 02:47   #900
Smidge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roonbox View Post
Can anyone tell me if I can vote No to this disaster from abroad? Currently in Canada
Tried to post a link from Citizens info but couldn't. AFAIK from this you cannot vote from out side Ireland except in certain circumstances
Have a look and see if you meet the criteria @ citizensinformation.ie

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion