Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

26-05-2012, 20:50   #1321
mike65
Closed Account

Gerrard off at HT.
Advertisement
26-05-2012, 20:55   #1322
Slattsy

Send a message via MSN to Slattsy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike65 View Post
Gerrard off at HT.
For his own good, lucky not to be sent off.
26-05-2012, 20:58   #1323
El Inho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slattsy View Post
that was actually a very good tackle.

the fact people consider a hard commited tackle a bad tackle is a disgrace and is turning the game into a pillow fight.

just because a player went off injured does not mean it was a wreckless challenge. it was a strong challenge and Gerrard won the ball. To be fair, it wasnt even a free kick.
26-05-2012, 21:00   #1324
Slattsy

Send a message via MSN to Slattsy
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Spearo View Post
that was actually a very good tackle.

the fact people consider a hard commited tackle a bad tackle is a disgrace and is turning the game into a pillow fight.

just because a player went off injured does not mean it was a wreckless challenge. it was a strong challenge and Gerrard won the ball. To be fair, it wasnt even a free kick.
Maybe when you or I played football it was a great tackle.... but alas, in all fairness - ya cant be doing that anymore !!
26-05-2012, 21:04   #1325
whatawaster

The more I read about Rodgers the more I favor him over Martinez
Thanks from:
Advertisement
26-05-2012, 21:08   #1326
Dr Galen
I'm a real doctor I swears

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Spearo View Post
well my understanding and interpretation of this is, just to get someone the lads will like...then get really good players and hope to god they gel and play well together

ie the manager doesnt actually matter anymore...

im always thinking back to the actual money ball movie...where brad pitt is actually the important one (and the nerdy guy)...

so samuel l jackson should actually be our next manager.
I'm seeing this sort of thing a lot, here, on other forums and in real life.

It's not as simple as this, and the idea that the Manager doesn't matter anymore is really not true at all.

People are holding Pep Guardiola up as the best manager since sliced bread, but Barca have had a DoF\Sporting Director for as long as I can remember, same with Jose at Madrid, where Zidane is Sporting Director. AvB got sacked by Chelsea, but again, they've had a DoF pretty much since Abra took over. Klopp at Dortmund....pretty much the same story, Ancelotti at PSG, he has Leonardo as his DoF. I could go on all night here tbh. The fact is that this isn't some sort of American thing, being foisted upon the club by our owners, it's been around for a long time, and although more or less copied from American sports, its not some sort of mad, alien concept. More than a few English clubs have this role as well.

The example of Fergie and Wenger is given as an argument against having a DoF/Sporting Director/Insert Job Title Here at a club. Really you could be arguing here that because of the time they have spent at their respective clubs, their roles have evolved into a sort of DoF anyway. Many Utd fans are complaining that the lack of a strong assistant manager ( Phelan doesn't seem to be a favourite) for Ferguson is a reason that they have "struggled" lately, and they look back wistfully at Kidd and Quieroz. Wenger has had Pat Rice as his assistant for donkeys, just retired with 40 odd years on his CV there. This allows both men to perform many of the roles of a traditional DoF.

Like it or not, a club like Liverpool (or any other top tier club) is a multi million euro business, as well as being something that we as fans hold dear. If I ran a business of that size away from sports, would I trust one of the biggest aspects of that to just one person? No chance tbh. The load would be spread among a team, with various responsibilities given to each person.
(5) thanks from:
26-05-2012, 21:10   #1327
rarnes1

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatawaster View Post
The more I read about Rodgers the more I favor him over Martinez
I would too,but to be honest neither of them are fit for the job.
26-05-2012, 21:34   #1328
El Inho

Martin Kelly has just made his England debut.
26-05-2012, 21:36   #1329
Sir Gallagher

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarnes1 View Post
Hopefully the two of them collide and they pick up small knocks causing them to miss the finals.

Their collision causes a pile up which sees Glen Johnson and Gerrard fall over Downing and pick up shoulder and toenail injuries which will unfortunately rule them out too.

Fck that, i wish them all well.
(4) thanks from:
Advertisement
26-05-2012, 21:40   #1330
rarnes1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Gallagher View Post
Fck that, i wish them all well.
Purely selfish reasons on my behalf.

Liverpool>>>>internationals
26-05-2012, 21:47   #1331
mike65
Closed Account

Norway - England report

Andy Carroll - did quite well, diligent defending, played a couple of nice balls forward, held up the ball. Needed Gerrard really but given the torpor of the occasion 7/10

Steven Gerrard - only 45 mins. Decent but playing a bit deep.

Stuart Downing - bright start then faded, swapped wings to no good effect.

Jordan Henderson, 2nd half sub. A few good balls and tracking back.

Martin Kelly - barely on, made a good headed block and could have been in on goal had the last ball of the game been better.
26-05-2012, 21:49   #1332
joe123

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarnes1 View Post
Purely selfish reasons on my behalf.

Liverpool>>>>internationals
I dont get this....surely you want Carroll and Downing to tear it up at the euros? It would be different if they were already at the top of their game but they had very poor seasons. The better the tournament they have, the better for us.
(2) thanks from:
26-05-2012, 21:52   #1333
djPSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe123 View Post
I dont get this....surely you want Carroll and Downing to tear it up at the euros? It would be different if they were already at the top of their game but they had very poor seasons. The better the tournament they have, the better for us.
Especially Carroll.

Playing over the summer should do him wonders. He should be flying fit at the beginning of next season.
26-05-2012, 22:08   #1334
Thanx 4 The Fish
Great gooogly moooogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slattsy View Post
Arrah would you get away out of that. That was a superb challenge, he was first to the ball, caught the ball with the inside of his foot, was in control and did not have a straight leg out (which is one of the criteria refs have been told to look out for for some reason). He second foot was behind him and while it was strong, it was well timed.

I hat that any contact is now considered a foul and that the stronger the contact the more sanction people look for. In any time that was a good challenge and he won the ball. The ref was going to blow the whistle the second he saw Gerrard dive in, you could see that his whistle was on the way to his lips and he was moving to the scene even before contact with the ball was made, he had made up his mind that it was a foul. Bad reffing IMO.
Thanks from:
26-05-2012, 22:25   #1335
djPSB

Comolli at the Eurovision
Thread Closed