Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

21-05-2012, 11:48   #181
Aiel

Silver Strand.

On top of the hill beside Silver Strand beach is a great place to watch the in-port race,thats where we were last time and we had a great view,i highly recommend people to go there to watch it.It will be jammed with cars down there though so walk or cycle there if you can or park up at Barna Church and walk down.
Advertisement
21-05-2012, 12:04   #182
nox001

I was out in the bay in the thick of it on a friends yacht the last time it was excellent being out there, got so close to the action. That's the plan again this time.
Thanks from:
21-05-2012, 14:28   #183
I_smell_fear
Closed Account

People actually watch the boats?
(2) thanks from:
21-05-2012, 14:59   #184
squonk

Send a message via MSN to squonk Send a message via Skype™ to squonk
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_smell_fear View Post
People actually watch the boats?
I know! They'll entertain me for about 20 minutes whereas the free gigs and shenanigans will entertain me for far longer. I've done some sailing but I'm not mad into the whole thing. It's great they're coming but if all this ado was going on for a container of monkeys being unloaded at the docks, I'd be equally as interested!
21-05-2012, 18:12   #185
JohnCleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken1 View Post
Looks great on the tv but standing on the prom at Salthill watching sails a few miles away is not very exciting. I watched the last time and quite honestly there is nothing to see unless you are out there, not knocking in any way but when they are well away from the coast its boring.
There'll be plenty of commercial boats offering day's out on the water.

I don't know about costs etc. but if I recall from last time it was about 35euro a head - not bad for a day out on the water.
Advertisement
21-05-2012, 22:21   #186
Mrs OBumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiel View Post
On top of the hill beside Silver Strand beach is a great place to watch the in-port race,... It will be jammed with cars down there though so walk or cycle there if you can
On a fine day, Silver Strand is pretty accessible by public transport too, about 15/20-ish minutes walk from Knocknacarra. (No 6, Barna neighbourhood map.)
23-05-2012, 10:20   #187
Chicken1

When are the boats due to arrive in Galway, the Volvo website says the boats are due to depart Lorient on the 1st of July that means it will be a few days before they get to Galway, if the weather is calm it could even be longer. That could cause a lot of grief for people coming to see them.
23-05-2012, 10:41   #188
JohnCleary

Quote:
When are the boats due to arrive in Galway, the Volvo website says the boats are due to depart Lorient on the 1st of July that means it will be a few days before they get to Galway, if the weather is calm it could even be longer. That could cause a lot of grief for people coming to see them.
They're due in on the 3rd but there is no guarantee. It's sailing, spectators will have to deal with it
23-05-2012, 11:34   #189
pleasant Co.
delightful

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCleary View Post
They're due in on the 3rd but there is no guarantee. It's sailing, spectators will have to deal with it
just saving this quote for another time
Advertisement
23-05-2012, 11:39   #190
yeehaw

Define 'a lot of grief'? Vast majority of spectators are unlikely to be heading to Galway until the weekend.
23-05-2012, 12:02   #191
Chicken1

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeehaw View Post
Define 'a lot of grief'? Vast majority of spectators are unlikely to be heading to Galway until the weekend.
There are two weekends for the event, I thought the boats would be in for the start which is the 30th June, I am sure there will be a lot more thinking this as it runs from June 30th to July 8. That means people arriving the 1st weekend will not see any boats.
23-05-2012, 12:20   #192
McTigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCleary View Post
Reminds me of my mum the last time round. She reckined the boats should have been instructed to wait around the back of the aran islands and then arrive in to the bay at a "reasonable hour.... like after 12 o clock mass"
Thanks from:
23-05-2012, 13:35   #193
yeehaw

Quote:
There are two weekends for the event, I thought the boats would be in for the start which is the 30th June, I am sure there will be a lot more thinking this as it runs from June 30th to July 8. That means people arriving the 1st weekend will not see any boats.
People arriving the first weekend were never going to see any boats anyway.

Who gives a **** about boats?
23-05-2012, 13:42   #194
JohnCleary

Quote:
If people are too lazy to at least check the timetable/schedule before 'booking time off' etc. then they've no one to blame but themselves.

Regardless of when anyone comes between June 30th - July 8th, I suspect they'll still have a ball.

I've my case of Buckie and berth in the Docks booked... bring it on
23-05-2012, 14:24   #195
McTigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nox001 View Post
I was out in the bay in the thick of it on a friends yacht the last time it was excellent being out there, got so close to the action. That's the plan again this time.
Did you wear your Dubarrys for the occasion?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion