Press Releases - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

16-05-2012, 21:58   #1
Elmo

Press Releases

I assume that a press releases can be quoted in full and are not copyrighted?
Advertisement
16-05-2012, 22:23   #2
Steve
Life is hard, deal with it.

Never assume.

AFAIK, posting a link and a brief description in your own words is all that is currently allowed under Sherlock's law.
17-05-2012, 00:10   #3
Elmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Never assume.

AFAIK, posting a link and a brief description in your own words is all that is currently allowed under Sherlock's law.
So if sherlock issues a press release you cant quote it only link to it? I used to always give a full quote and a link, i thought that was fair.
17-05-2012, 10:53   #4
Dav
Boards.ie Community Manager

Well, it's a press release, so the implication is that you share the information with as many people as possible. I can't imagine a world where someone's getting sued over the copyright of a press release unless of course it was intended to have a limited audience and not for public consumption. However, technically speaking, they are indeed someone's intellectual property and so could be subjected to copyright law, but if they tried suing of it's use, it'd be the last time *anyone* would take a press release from that company every again

tl;dr - press releases intended for everyone are ok to post in full.
(5) thanks from:
17-05-2012, 15:57   #5
IITYWYBMAD

I would just add one proviso Dav. There are quite a lot of PR's which have an embargo on them. It's not a blanket 1 for all type scenario.
Advertisement
17-05-2012, 16:19   #6
Dav
Boards.ie Community Manager

Absolutely, but if someone breaks an embargo on something that's on a press release, that's not really a copyright issue but a contractual one between the company releasing the info and the person who broke the embargo.
18-05-2012, 17:06   #7
tricky D
NSAbot

They're not really subject to contract, more like gentlemen's agreements. On occasions some news org might try to scoop, but it'll be the last time they get that chance. The more dangerous aspect of breaking the embargo would occur during stuff like merger and acquisition activity which would land at least one party in hot water for breaching Stock Exchange rules where penalties and litigation might follow. In my own previous experience of handling merger and acquisition embargoed release no one ever broke an embargo. Mind you we did generate shed loads of news flow, so no news outlet would dare bite our hand which fed them.

As for copyright, use whatever you want was our policy. Kinda the whole idea of the pr innit.
18-05-2012, 17:15   #8
Elmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky D View Post
They're not really subject to contract, more like gentlemen's agreements. On occasions some news org might try to scoop, but it'll be the last time they get that chance. The more dangerous aspect of breaking the embargo would occur during stuff like merger and acquisition activity which would land at least one party in hot water for breaching Stock Exchange rules where penalties and litigation might follow. In my own previous experience of handling merger and acquisition embargoed release no one ever broke an embargo. Mind you we did generate shed loads of news flow, so no news outlet would dare bite our hand which fed them.

As for copyright, use whatever you want was our policy. Kinda the whole idea of the pr innit.
When the press release is on the companies website. In reality do we even need to post a link to there pr page? I only provide such links to prove i am not spoofing.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion