Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

15-05-2012, 15:12   #31
jaykhunter

Here's my thoughts/review of the PPV. I'm really glad to say that this is TNA's best PPV in a long time. It's worth noting that both Dixie AND Bischoff had nothing to do with this event. (credit Dave Meltzer)

Kazarian & Daniels vs Samoa Joe & Magnus
Both teams looked really smooth and worked together well. Even got a few glimses of what Joe was like a few years ago. Fast-paced and some nice spots, some tag-team spots no less, really enjoyable. Shocked to see the heels win (since it's The Jonas brothers first reign) but it makes total sense as Kaz/Daniels shot a relatively big angle with styles, and it's been building. Daniels looked overjoyed with the title, hilarious. Fun opener, would like to see again. It was also great to see Joe/Magnus chalk this loss up and are still a strong team. I f***ing hate teasing dissension.

Brooke Tessmacher vs Gail Kim
My dud of the night. Brooke (in odd America colours) botched her first exchanged, looked dumbfounded. Thankfully nothing was as bad as that "what should we do now?" spot. Kim tried her best but the match was merely bad, imo. I wonder if it's a subtle heel thing where Kim showed off NO cleavage and Brooke showed off loads, so people cheer for her more.

D Von vs Robbie E & T
Matching awful sweaters is a fantastic gimmick. Your pretty average match and what you'd expect out of these two. Ugh, dissension between the Robbies.

Mr. Anderson vs Jeff Hardy
Actually better than your average Kennedy match. Some decent exchanges. Here starts the "X7 booking" where people kick out of each other's finishers; Hardy didn't get the win with a swanton. Earl Hebner messed up the finish and the wrestlers weren't happy but it's not like it would've changed much in this match. It wasn't great but it was above average.

Eric Young vs Crimson
This is probably the most heat Crimson's got over this last while. How long is his streak again, over a year? He's good on the mic as well. I love EY's antics, and ODB is a good comedy side-kick as well. EY's like the Santino of TNA. He has lots of gimmicks/affectations and they make his comedy matchups really enjoyable. Like although Crimson laid down the challenge, EY came in a locked up with the ref. Hilarious!!

Austin Aries vs Bully Ray
Short of those TLC matches, this is Bully Ray's finest match. It was ALL storytelling, putting Aries over huge as an underdog face. Aries took a number of silly bumps, none moreso than falling from the top rope and smashing his back and head against the steel railing. Poor guy. His back showed the scars. Bully ray chopped the shít out of him as well. My only fault with this is that they did the X7 booking, this is a mid-card match. The escape was a bit of a botch from the running powerbomb but the submission finish was great. This could've definitely been stretched over 2-3 matches but it was all condensed into this one. Well done both lads. It really put over Aries v strong. Both are great characters and have wonderful chemistry. I just worry about how hard Aries will go to get noticed. But thankfully this looks to have paid off. This felt like this was his "Orton beats Foley in a hardcore match at Backlash" moment.

Kurt Angle vs AJ Styles
Two babyfaces, excellent wrestlers, wrestle for 20 minutes. And it was great. It felt fresh and unfettered. Both are smooth workers and really compliment each others. Again X7 booking but since these guys have been through many wars with each other it didn't matter, and it was the sub-main event. A great, simple pro-wrestling match. I'm also really looking forward to seeing them as a tag team. It'll take the load off Angle but still give him a change to have great matches, considering the tag division at the moment.

RVD vs Bobby Roode
There were a ton of crazy spots/bumps in this match, RVD had his working boots on; which I was so happy to see. Everyone on this card was out to prove a point. Spinebuster? Nah, onto the ladder! I imagine both guys must be in bits after this match. The finish to the match had RVD botch jumping onto the ladder --which looked nasty as his twisted his own leg to make it look worse-- and Roode doing the smart thing and including it in the match and immediately grabbing a ladder. RVD then tried to make a comeback and positioned himself to land the back of his head on a chair, holy crap. Best place to do it is on PPV RVD (as nobody remembers impact) and Roode really benefited from this match. Well done both, and to the roster (bar Tessmacher) for their performance!

Overall I was pleasantly surprised by the PPV, I recommend giving it a watch, made me feel much better about TNA, and hope that this isn't just an anomaly.
Advertisement
15-05-2012, 15:17   #32
GTR63
Closed Account

No Garett Bischoff helps too.
(4) thanks from:
15-05-2012, 17:00   #33
dlofnep
Closed Account

The only problem is you can be sure TNA won't build on this, and will **** up with the next impact.
16-05-2012, 15:33   #34
Machismo Fan

Some cool photo's from Sacrifice:

(3) thanks from:
16-05-2012, 15:39   #35
gnfnrhead

Any of RVD getting his leg wrapped in the ladder? That looked like it hurt a lot!

Also, I was praying Styles didn't slip when he did that inside to outside springboard in the second picture. He has slipped a fair few times going outside to inside and landed hard. Could only imagine how bad a landing he'd have if he slipped that time.
Advertisement
16-05-2012, 15:45   #36
Machismo Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnfnrhead View Post
Any of RVD getting his leg wrapped in the ladder? That looked like it hurt a lot!
Nope, you can look at them all here though.
Thanks from:
16-05-2012, 15:57   #37
Cherry_Cola

Watched this last night and thought it was a great PPV, hopefully it'll be a sign of better things to come. I wonder if the quality of Extreme Rules made them up their game?

RVD/Roode was really good and it was good to see RVD when he's not on autopilot! The monkey flip spot onto the ladder was great stuff. The landing on the chair looked pretty bad too! Also, RVD's selling of a DDT has to be the best ever.

Bully Ray nad Aries was fantastic, both were really impressive and Ray is a fantastic heel, love how he went for a shot on the back as Aries came back into the ring! Speaking of which, that looked pretty painful!

Was it just me or did anyone notice that a lot of people are using rock bottom type moves? Noticed Christopher Daniels, Samoa Joe doing it from the corner and Bully Ray doing it too, there may have even been someone else. Just found it kinda funny.
16-05-2012, 16:10   #38
Machismo Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry_Cola View Post
Was it just me or did anyone notice that a lot of people are using rock bottom type moves? Noticed Christopher Daniels, Samoa Joe doing it from the corner and Bully Ray doing it too, there may have even been someone else. Just found it kinda funny.
All three guys have been doing it for years (it's always been Daniels' setup for the BME (and Joe's at Sacrifice was awesome, I really love his corner version of it)).
16-05-2012, 16:27   #39
Cherry_Cola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machismo Fan View Post
All three guys have been doing it for years (it's always been Daniels' setup for the BME (and Joe's at Sacrifice was awesome, I really love his corner version of it)).
Yeah I just seemed to notice it last night. Always loved Joe's version out of the corner, looks amazing.
Advertisement
16-05-2012, 16:43   #40
GTR63
Closed Account

Its a urinagi Daniels uses not really a Rock Bottom. Bully Ray does use it tho...Rock wouldn't mind too much though its not as if he is doing it on a show that he appears on.
16-05-2012, 16:56   #41
gnfnrhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry_Cola View Post
Joe and Daniels have been using them forever. Neither are even really close to a Rock Bottom. Bully Ray's is much closer but he's been using that for a whole now aswell.
16-05-2012, 17:05   #42
Machismo Fan

Devon did one aswell and it's a new one for him as far as I remember. Devon is such a great worker.
17-05-2012, 01:56   #43
Furious-Red

Have to agree with everyone i really enjoyed the PPV , just shows what TNA can actual do to have a great card
(2) thanks from:
18-05-2012, 16:41   #44
paddyismaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious-Red View Post
Have to agree with everyone i really enjoyed the PPV , just shows what TNA can actual do to have a great card
+ 1

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion