Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

09-05-2012, 14:25   #2851
Draupnir

Right lads, have had two proper shaves in the 5 days since I got my kit, really enjoying it so far but some questions:

1. The cream I got is great, I've been mixing it in a bowl with a small bit of water with my brush and making a lather. Is this the right/best way to be doing it?

2. Should I favour short or long strokes with the razor? Finding that short strokes means I need to re-apply the lather but at least that way I can get a good clean shave.
Advertisement
09-05-2012, 23:11   #2852
Genghiz Cohen

Taylors Sandlewood is a delicious smell, deep and rich, so maybe more suited to winter months....
Maybe Avocado is a good choice for warmer days.
11-05-2012, 22:33   #2853
Michael G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draupnir View Post
1. The cream I got is great, I've been mixing it in a bowl with a small bit of water with my brush and making a lather. Is this the right/best way to be doing it?
Yes. When you have it well mixed, a kind of gentle slapping motion with the tip of the brush whips it up a bit and makes it creamier. Some people advise that you should spend about a minute and a half on the lather and I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draupnir View Post
2. Should I favour short or long strokes with the razor? Finding that short strokes means I need to re-apply the lather but at least that way I can get a good clean shave.
I don't think any two men shave the same way. After a few years shaving with a DE blade, I find that long strokes work on the flat parts of my face (like from the ear down to the jaw, and from the corner of the jaw to the chin) but short strokes are better on my upper lip. You will learn what suits you best. Just keep the contact of the blade with your skin as light as you can whatever stroke you are using.
11-05-2012, 23:14   #2854
MadsL
Elevation: 5,023ft

After your initial mix, get your hot tap running as slowly as possible. Dribble, a little hot water into your lather. Whip with the brush, and repeat. Try and get plenty of moisture into the lather whilst aiming at whipped cream texture.
05-06-2012, 22:18   #2855
PickledLime
Closed Account

First time DE blades?

So i placed my order for a Mühle R89 and the 50 blade sampler pack last night on shaving.ie (nice site, btw!) and i'm very much looking forward to it arriving!

Not sure about a cream (i've gone back to that bog standard Palmolive stuff, which certainly works better than that goo in a can rubbish i was using so will stick with that 'til the tube is used at least) - what blade would ye recommend for my first ever DE shave? I've been watching plenty of videos about the actual shave and i'm putting aside extra time for re-learning how to shave, just wondering what blades would be good as 'training wheels'? (from reading around the thread a bit, i'll probably cleave my head off with the Feathers!)

Cheers folks

Edit - i basically asked the same question twice, sorry!
Advertisement
05-06-2012, 22:22   #2856
Gran Hermano

I'd recommend starting with the Astra or Personna blades.

Nothing wrong with the Palmolive cream - at the price it sells for it is unbeatable. Pick up a stick of the Palmolive shaving soap as well.
Thanks from:
05-06-2012, 23:31   #2857
An File
Lording over insects

Send a message via Skype™ to An File
I had my last 3 shaves with a Personna blade (experimenting with the 50 blade sampler too, even though I already enjoy the Feather blades) and I like the way it feels.

So far I've found the first 2 passes great and the third a bit more bloody. Good prep makes a big difference though.
05-06-2012, 23:54   #2858
source

Send a message via Skype™ to source
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insect Overlord View Post
I had my last 3 shaves with a Personna blade (experimenting with the 50 blade sampler too, even though I already enjoy the Feather blades) and I like the way it feels.

So far I've found the first 2 passes great and the third a bit more bloody. Good prep makes a big difference though.
I still have to give you a sample of floid.
05-06-2012, 23:55   #2859
An File
Lording over insects

Send a message via Skype™ to An File
Quote:
Originally Posted by source View Post
I still have to give you a sample of floid.
No rush. The Speick is lasting ages anyway.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
06-06-2012, 13:26   #2860
corpo3030

I just started using my starter kit from shaving.ie with a timor bronze safety razor. Great smooth shave, its amazing the difference when I actually take the time to prepare my skin first.
06-06-2012, 13:42   #2861
Michael G

I'm DE shaving about five years now. I was abroad for the weekend and had to bring an electric razor because I had only carry-on luggage. Useless yoke. I couldn't wait to get home and get that clean smooth feeling that only a wet shave with a good blade can give.
06-06-2012, 14:50   #2862
PickledLime
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gran Hermano View Post
I'd recommend starting with the Astra or Personna blades.

Nothing wrong with the Palmolive cream - at the price it sells for it is unbeatable. Pick up a stick of the Palmolive shaving soap as well.
Cheers for the advice, much appreciated

Have a stick of Palmolive soap already - i've always been into doing the prep stage, it's just i've always used a lame razor. Good to know the cream is reasonable enough quality, it seems to suit my skin pretty well, have no idea why i moved to canned-goo in the first place!
08-06-2012, 06:29   #2863
investment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G View Post
I'm DE shaving about five years now. I was abroad for the weekend and had to bring an electric razor because I had only carry-on luggage. Useless yoke. I couldn't wait to get home and get that clean smooth feeling that only a wet shave with a good blade can give.

you could have brought your razor and brush and cream and bought a pack of blades you tight git
08-06-2012, 07:19   #2864
Michael G

Quote:
Originally Posted by investment View Post
you could have brought your razor and brush and cream and bought a pack of blades you tight git
I know that. I didn't want to risk having my razor confiscated by some jobsworth at Dublin Airport.
08-06-2012, 08:06   #2865
source

Send a message via Skype™ to source
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G View Post
I know that. I didn't want to risk having my razor confiscated by some jobsworth at Dublin Airport.
Brought mine through as carry on loads of times......with a blade in it, and never had any problems, and I'm the unluckiest person on the planet!!!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion