Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

23-05-2009, 00:57   #31
Johnboy1951

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_Guy View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_s...ition_software

I just typed in "speech recognition software for Linux users" into Google and this seemed to be the most informative thing I read.

You had to be awkward and have Linux.

Call me cheapskate!

Advertisement
09-02-2010, 10:59   #32
cavedave

There is a make night in the science gallery on Thursday 11th of Feb in the Science Gallery (6-8pm). the science gallery is near Pearse street dart station.

A make night is where people get together and make stuff. Stop go animations, paper balloons, electronics things like that.

There will be Sugru there. Sugru is like putty but it can set hard so you can use it for making toothbrush holders, pen grips things like that.

I am also bringing the parts to make tactile rubiks cubes.

So if you want to do a bit of making come along and give it a go.
Thanks from:
27-01-2011, 16:39   #33
CiDeRmAn

Not sure if this has come up here before and I have an interest as I am a CNM2 in an ID service here in north county dublin.
I have come across a program called xpadder for the pc, it is a simple little piece of software and it allows any joystick setup to be orientated for the PC.
It means that a large, easy to manage digital joystick can be used as a mouse, moving the pointer, and the mouse button functions can be translated to the buttons on the stick.
I have a large arcade style stick and was repurposing it for a arcade project with my laptop when I came across xpadder.

Working with people with varying degrees of ID and, at times, an associated motor difficulty, using a mouse can be quite challenging, and purpose built alternative solutions very costly.

This systems beauty is that a robust joystick setup need not cost too much, it can be setup with xpadder in 5 minutes and allow complete control of all windows functions.

If the stick has a multitude of buttons these can be set to register as key presses or multiple key presses at once, allowing for more flexibility and control.

Here's a link in case this interests...
http://www.xpadder.com/

I think I might be using this in work soon, I can see it allowing my clients accessibility to the web and pc applications and also being cheap enough to not impact on the unit budget.
28-03-2011, 08:45   #34
Johnboy1951

Text to Speech .....

It seems that Google are getting into this .......
Quote:
Google’s desktop web browser Chrome 11 is now in beta stage. It now includes a unique feature that is not found in other web browsers i.e it now has speech-to-text capabilities.
http://www.maggadget.com/chrome-beta...nd-a-new-icon/

I also read that it is likely to be available through Google Apps ..... at last, it seems, a platform independent means of Speech to Text will become available.
12-09-2011, 09:49   #35
Mental Mickey

Does anyone know where I could get pressure relieving socks? I don't wear any shoes, and would need some protection for the soles of my feet?

Thanks.
Advertisement
12-10-2011, 16:45   #36
suziwalsh
Closed Account

want to recommend www.helponhand.ie
09-11-2011, 09:27   #37
Mental Mickey

Has anyone ever used these guys for buying clothes???

www.rollimoden.com

Their clothes seem nice, if expensive. They manufacture clothes specifically for disabled people. I would like to try them, but am unsure about getting clothes from them, as they are based abroad.

Any opinions welcome. I got an email from them saying that their trousers/jeans are of a standard length of 100cm. My legs are no way near as long as this, so I don't know how I would get around wearing their products.......? What i currently do is buy a regular pair of trousers, and cut the legs to my desired length.........

The rep I spoke to(by email)said that I would be credited for any clothes that I returned to them.........?

Last edited by Mental Mickey; 09-11-2011 at 09:59.
17-11-2011, 09:53   #38
Mental Mickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mental Mickey View Post
Has anyone ever used these guys for buying clothes???

www.rollimoden.com

Their clothes seem nice, if expensive. They manufacture clothes specifically for disabled people. I would like to try them, but am unsure about getting clothes from them, as they are based abroad.

Any opinions welcome. I got an email from them saying that their trousers/jeans are of a standard length of 100cm. My legs are no way near as long as this, so I don't know how I would get around wearing their products.......? What i currently do is buy a regular pair of trousers, and cut the legs to my desired length.........

The rep I spoke to(by email)said that I would be credited for any clothes that I returned to them.........?
Following on from this post, does anyone know of a company in Ireland who would manufacture/fit shoes for disabled people??
17-11-2011, 18:31   #39
Johnboy1951

I would suggest a local cobbler ...... if there is an actual cobbler in your area.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
18-11-2011, 09:30   #40
Mental Mickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnboy1951 View Post
I would suggest a local cobbler ...... if there is an actual cobbler in your area.
Don't think there is....? Anyhoo, I have arranged an appointment with the Footwear Department of the Spina Bifida Association in Clondalkin.

Last edited by Mental Mickey; 18-11-2011 at 13:54. Reason: Sh!te geography
12-12-2011, 14:48   #41
Mental Mickey

Quote:
Don't think there is....? Anyhoo, I have arranged an appointment with the Footwear Department of the Spina Bifida Association in Clondalkin.
Had my fitting done today. They made a mould of both my feet.
22-12-2011, 16:59   #42
sports_
Banned

Quote:
Quote:
Had my fitting done today. They made a mould of both my feet.
i also did
Thanks from:
24-12-2011, 22:33   #43
Johnboy1951

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiDeRmAn View Post
Not sure if this has come up here before and I have an interest as I am a CNM2 in an ID service here in north county dublin.
I have come across a program called xpadder for the pc, it is a simple little piece of software and it allows any joystick setup to be orientated for the PC.
It means that a large, easy to manage digital joystick can be used as a mouse, moving the pointer, and the mouse button functions can be translated to the buttons on the stick.
I have a large arcade style stick and was repurposing it for a arcade project with my laptop when I came across xpadder.

Working with people with varying degrees of ID and, at times, an associated motor difficulty, using a mouse can be quite challenging, and purpose built alternative solutions very costly.

This systems beauty is that a robust joystick setup need not cost too much, it can be setup with xpadder in 5 minutes and allow complete control of all windows functions.

If the stick has a multitude of buttons these can be set to register as key presses or multiple key presses at once, allowing for more flexibility and control.

Here's a link in case this interests...
http://www.xpadder.com/

I think I might be using this in work soon, I can see it allowing my clients accessibility to the web and pc applications and also being cheap enough to not impact on the unit budget.
I forgot to post that qjoypad in Linux should do the same thing for those who use that OS.
28-12-2011, 18:28   #44
Mental Mickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by sports_ View Post
i also did
on the same day........?
10-05-2012, 17:23   #45
Stillorganboy

You might be able to get VAT off your equipment, you'll need a letter off your doctor to say such equipment would improve your life. No harm in trying. If you don't try you will never get anything

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion