Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

06-05-2012, 00:05   #346
kildare.17hmr
Closed Account

Dont pre drill it will be stronger if you dont!
Thanks from:
Advertisement
06-05-2012, 10:38   #347
baords dyslexic
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by kildare.17hmr View Post
Dont pre drill it will be stronger if you dont!
Depends, on the timber, the screw, how the timber is orientated and if not pre drilling results in the wood splitting. If it is hardwood you are screwing into then you'd normally pre drill every hole, softwood with the right screws not close to end grain you normally wouldn't.

When I use part thread 120mm #6's there is no way I can drive those without splitting the cross grained timber if I don't pre drill. Pre drilling in that case also allows me to get an acurate start on the direction the screw is going in at, with 1 1/4 inches of end grain to aim at if you go off by a few degrees your in trouble.

In my case I'd be butting the side of one end of a plank againt the end grain of another (repeating that for the other 3 corners) so I'd pre drill the cross grain side of the plank because I'm near the edge but not pre drill the end grain because the grip you get in it is crap enough to start with.

I know you can argue thats not very strong but with 3 120mm long screws across 4 inches its more than strong enough and quick to put together provided all you timber is cut squarely. In fact most of the time I'd use one 120mm screw in the middle and slightly shorter ones (cheaper ones as screws that size aren't that cheap) either side of it.

In that picture above I'd only pre drill the top piece of timber, I'd then use a clamp or vice to hold the joint together while I put the screws in. With part threaded screws if the joint is a bit loose to start with they will pull it up tight. If you use full threaded screws you need to make sure the joint is held very tightly together to start with unless you over drill the top piece of timber (make the whole over sized) because the screws thread is acting equally on both bits of timber and not just one so won't pull the joint tight. - if you understand that you have a better grasp of language than I obviously do

Last edited by baords dyslexic; 06-05-2012 at 10:41.
(2) thanks from:
06-05-2012, 15:55   #348
bonniebede

My plan is to put in corner posts, and screw the boards onto them.

THat way I can sink the posts abit, as its going against a wall, and i'm only making three sides to it.

Also the posts can come up above the bed to attach netting to, as its mostly fruit in that bed, and also to stop cats.

Thinking if i make it and then drop it in place it should work.
Thanks from:
06-05-2012, 16:31   #349
baords dyslexic
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonniebede View Post
My plan is to put in corner posts, and screw the boards onto them.

THat way I can sink the posts abit, as its going against a wall, and i'm only making three sides to it.

Also the posts can come up above the bed to attach netting to, as its mostly fruit in that bed, and also to stop cats.

Thinking if i make it and then drop it in place it should work.
If you put in a 4th side it will help make it easier to drop in place, doesn't need to be in the same wood or even across the back, a piece of timber temporarly screwed across the middle of it will help hold it all square while you move it.
Thanks from:
09-05-2012, 11:01   #350
bonniebede

Bought stuff of course

Hexamine tabs.

nice dry sack, planning to rearrange gear so it can be more easily divided between a teotwawki bag and an ordinary walk in the mountains bag, using the same bag but with lift in and out bits.

More garden wire. I lost the last bit. I never knew I had so many uses for it till i got some to make snares, now I'm lost without it.

Duct tape. Have no idea what to do with it, but everyone seems to include it in their kit. Ideas on a postcard please!

Dibber for the garden. Now I know it makes sense, having planted stuff out without one. Yahoo, an actual, honest to God need driven purchase.

Out door thermometer for the garden.

Nice little RHS family gardening book, lots of pictures, for a friend with small children. The little lad of three wants to 'be a farmer' so a little urban plot might be a good start.
Advertisement
09-05-2012, 11:54   #351
mawk

finally made my survival tin last night. fit a lot of crap in!
(2) thanks from:
09-05-2012, 12:07   #352
kildare.17hmr
Closed Account

Have you tried out your snares bonnie?
09-05-2012, 13:14   #353
bonniebede

Quote:
Originally Posted by kildare.17hmr View Post
Have you tried out your snares bonnie?

No, though i'm tempted to start with the kitty that has decided that raised bed gardening is actually a scheme to produce giant litter trays. (only joking, I like cats) (with barbecue sauce).

Very busy at the moment, so some projects on the long finger. A butcher near me sells rabbits, so step one is the plan to see if I can learn to cook them nicely. Maybe during the summer. If we have one. (Was that it last tuesday?)
09-05-2012, 13:23   #354
baords dyslexic
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawk View Post
finally made my survival tin last night. fit a lot of crap in!
Show and tell and a list of items is always a good read, often surprises me what I've missed out or what clever uses people have found for things.
Advertisement
09-05-2012, 13:39   #355
baords dyslexic
Closed Account

Quote:

Duct tape. Have no idea what to do with it, but everyone seems to include it in their kit. Ideas on a postcard please!

Loads on the web like this and this but also a handy addition to a FAK and something to stick over blisters on you feet to keep you mobile.
Thanks from:
09-05-2012, 14:18   #356
krissovo

Quote:
Check out Mythbusters Duck tape specials

My Favorites

Thermal protection - Wrap a couple of layers around lip of metal mug to stop your lips burning when drinking hot liquids. Handy additional supply of tape in a survival kit

Temporary Repair Kit - Shoes, bodies, boats, clothes, cars, bikes, windows, ponchos, electrical......... I could go on all day. I have repaired holes in jackets and once even when my trousers split in the office My van still has tape around a coolant hose I repaired 3 years ago.

Rescue kit - Once saved my keys from a storm drain in America using duck tape and stick I found at the side of a road.

Fancy Dress - I have made bat capes, fake eye brows and beards, pirate hat and even a tuxedo out of black tape for fancy dress parties in the Military when on tour. The limits are only your creativity, I have seen sharks, aliens, robots and even a man dressed as a woman with duck tape boobs and bra and cocktail dress. Not a nice look with hairy legs, in fact I feel a little sick

Last edited by krissovo; 09-05-2012 at 14:21.
09-05-2012, 23:45   #357
mawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by baords dyslexic View Post
Show and tell and a list of items is always a good read, often surprises me what I've missed out or what clever uses people have found for things.
its a lot of work to unpack and photo.. but it contains:
  • lighter
  • superglue
  • meds- iburofen, aspin antihistamines
  • four plasters
  • alcohol wipe
  • 2 single edged razors
  • plastic handled craft type knife
  • spool of thread and a needle
  • s/g shot and fishing hooks
thinking now, it needs a button cell led torch. and some wire. and some tape...

oh, and a small strip of bike tyre rubber which lights fires well and even burns in the lashing rain.

the whole thing is small, all goes in a small camera case
(2) thanks from:
09-05-2012, 23:51   #358
evilmonkee

Quote:
Originally Posted by krissovo View Post
Thermal protection - Wrap a couple of layers around lip of metal mug to stop your lips burning when drinking hot liquids.
Brilliant idea, must try this to insulate the handle of the mug I use on my hexi. No more faffing about with a tshirt to pick it up.

I will need to be careful to make sure the mug handle sits far enough outwards not to melt/singe the tape.
15-05-2012, 09:21   #359
Tabnabs
nine meals from anarchy

A 10L plastic fuel can Lidl and also decided to try out the self inflating matress (useful for car camping, but not by shanks mare).

Also bought a Coleman duel-fuel lantern recently in the UK £52 (the box was water damaged) along with a British Army DPM gas mask bag (unissued) for £4.

Edit: Forgot to recommend these little dynamo torches. Arrived very quickly and I got two for very little money. Recommended for kids, the car or a prepper stocking filler

Last edited by Tabnabs; 15-05-2012 at 09:25.
(2) thanks from:
15-05-2012, 10:12   #360
baords dyslexic
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabnabs View Post
A 10L plastic fuel can Lidl and also decided to try out the self inflating matress (useful for car camping, but not by shanks mare).

Also bought a Coleman duel-fuel lantern recently in the UK £52 (the box was water damaged) along with a British Army DPM gas mask bag (unissued) for £4.

Edit: Forgot to recommend these little dynamo torches. Arrived very quickly and I got two for very little money. Recommended for kids, the car or a prepper stocking filler
Used the Lidl 10L plastic fuel can for the first time today, might sound daft but I had decided to keep an empty one in the car boot and remembered while out that if I was going to cut the lawn today (fingers crossed) I needed petrol. Anyway strange caps on the fuel can, they are child proof, and far better quality than many other cans I've used.
(3) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion