Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

08-05-2012, 09:45   #121
raymann

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraziliaNZ View Post
There are some pubs that I love in Dublin. But here in merry England I have to say the range of old and new pubs, cheap pubs, fancy gastro ones etc is just amazing. Also the range of beers on tap is fantastic. The opening hours are much better too. Altogether a much better drinking experience, we should take on board some of their practices in Ireland for sure.
this. completely better than ireland in every way. and always cheaper as well. especially the 'high end' pubs serving amazing food but not in a fully formal restaurant setting.

that said im in france now and it they havent a clue. for example my gf is from a village in he mountain where they have one bar for 6000 odd people. and its empty!

as other people have said i would love a larger selection of biers and ales available in ireland.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
08-05-2012, 10:07   #122
Beefy78

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymann View Post
as other people have said i would love a larger selection of biers and ales available in ireland.
But weirdly whilst Irish pubs all sell the same half a dozen beers, supermarkets, corner shops and off-licences in Ireland have a far wider selection of beers from around the World than your standard UK drinks retailer. I can buy my favourite US beers at any one of five locations within half a mile of my flat over here but when I lived in the UK I found them on sale in one off-licence ever.
08-05-2012, 10:10   #123
Cokeistan

Send a message via MSN to Cokeistan
Most English people who come over here just to get locked come to do so in Irish pubs, so putting an English pub in Dublin would be fairly pointless really
08-05-2012, 10:46   #124
paddyandy
Banned

Ole' English Style Pub with beer from the wood and an open fire on a cold day .Nothing that good will ever happen here though a phony mock-up style is a possibility .The days of real pubs selling real beer are long gone .I returned to some london pubs that i'd worked in during the sixties a few years ago only to discover everything was replaced with a scruffiness that rarely existed back then . A wholesomeness has gone out pubs . The food is nonsense too covered with sauce and grease .Dipping chips in little bowls of sauce says everything about catering these days .We've lost it .

Last edited by paddyandy; 08-05-2012 at 10:50.
08-05-2012, 10:59   #125
ch750536

Englishman living in Ireland for 8 years in a town with 60 odd pubs.
What is missing is variance. I don't often go out to get lashed but I did often go out for something different (albeit the place or the beer).
Personally I feel most of the pubs are the same in look & feel & they are identical (& I mean identical, all 60 of them) on the products they sell. Some may be a little cheaper than others.
As much as I hate wetherspoons they do have over 600 different beers over a year in each outlet. You just don't get that in Ireland.
That & cricket are the only 2 things I miss.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
08-05-2012, 11:02   #126
dpe

I don't miss 90% of British pubs, but the best 10% of British pubs (usually gastropubs) are as good or better than their Irish equivalent because of a. more choice of beer, and b. better food. There's no mileage in opening a "British" pub over here (it would probably get firebombed anyway), but a few lessons from the best British pubs and a decent chef would definitely be welcome.
08-05-2012, 11:06   #127
Crooked Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternZulu View Post
They are terrible!
They all are the same...I would hate for them to be in Ireland!!
There are Wetherspoons pubs in Ireland...and they're class. Yes they are all the same, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Cheap, cheerful and you know what you're getting.
08-05-2012, 11:13   #128
MMAIRELANDFAN

English Pubs are like Irish pubs with no character and gank drink.
08-05-2012, 12:11   #129
kowloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokeistan View Post
Most English people who come over here just to get locked come to do so in Irish pubs, so putting an English pub in Dublin would be fairly pointless really
And yet the Irish bars in everywhere from Oz to the States are full of people in GAA jerseys.
Advertisement
08-05-2012, 12:31   #130
old hippy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMAIRELANDFAN View Post
You must be drinking in the wrong pubs, then
Thanks from:
08-05-2012, 12:35   #131
jack presley

Quote:
Originally Posted by kowloon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokeistan View Post
And yet the Irish bars in everywhere from Oz to the States are full of people in GAA jerseys.
Irish people have to wear GAA jerseys when they're abroad, especially when drinking. It's the law.
(2) thanks from:
08-05-2012, 12:37   #132
Fratton Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefy78 View Post
But weirdly whilst Irish pubs all sell the same half a dozen beers, supermarkets, corner shops and off-licences in Ireland have a far wider selection of beers from around the World than your standard UK drinks retailer. I can buy my favourite US beers at any one of five locations within half a mile of my flat over here but when I lived in the UK I found them on sale in one off-licence ever.
My local has the usual Guinness, Heineken, Bud, Carlsberg etc, but they also do Smithwicks Pale Ale (Which is lovely) and Caledonian Smooth on draft, as well as a few craft beers, such as Galway Hooker in bottles.

Variety is the spice of life.
Thanks from:
08-05-2012, 23:13   #133
paddyandy
Banned

I'd like to have seen irish pub owners brew their own beer .It's not a complicated process and it might be what the trade needs but the breweries are very powerful .
08-05-2012, 23:44   #134
SHOVELLER

Wetherspoons rule. But doubt they will be allowed in anytime soon.

No problem with an english pub here at all. More competition can mean a better product.

It will confuse barstoolers though
09-05-2012, 00:13   #135
IrishAm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMAIRELANDFAN View Post
Bollix. A pubs a pub. Once it is clean, has good bartenders, a nice selection of beers, looks after its lines, serves decent food and doesnt have tvs/music blaring I am a happy camper.

The above and the company you are supping with make a night out. Not the flag flying outside.

My only problem with an English bar in Dublin would be that it would attract the "Engeeeerland" "ten german bomber" "two world wars and a world cup " type crowd.

Last edited by IrishAm; 09-05-2012 at 00:15.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion