Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

08-05-2012, 03:55   #1
ozmo

Name translation

Hi

Would anyone know what this name is - the Priest recording at the time seemed to prefer to put in Latin versions of the names - Im resaerching what i believe to be a direct relation - but I cannot make out the father (XPRI).

The online translation just translates it as
XPRI?

I'm thinking its Latin shorthand for some more common name.

The same symbols appear 2 more times on the Same Page - they are not related to me - but its the same symbols XPRI so it must be a common name (not Xavior etc)....

baptism record from 1810

Only info I can find is the P might be "Thorn"
"from link and link - A thorn with the ascender crossed (Ꝥ) was a popular abbreviation for the word that."

Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image1b.jpg (11.5 KB, 140 views)

Last edited by ozmo; 08-05-2012 at 04:06.
Advertisement
08-05-2012, 04:07   #2
ozmo

The other two instances of these symbols...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image1c.jpg (4.4 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg Image1d.jpg (4.4 KB, 123 views)
08-05-2012, 07:22   #3
CeannRua

A guess - Christopher
08-05-2012, 10:31   #4
P. Breathnach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeannRua View Post
A guess - Christopher
Methinks the priest was showing off his Greek as well as his Latin. My knowledge of Greek is approximately the same as my knowledge of Mongolian, except that I can recognise and name a few letters of the alphabet, thanks to a maths teacher who liked entertaining digressions. The X-like character is known as "Chi" (pronounced "ky"); it is often used as an abbreviation for "Christ" - think of Xmas.

So yes, I concur with CeannRua in thinking "Christopher".
08-05-2012, 11:28   #5
ozmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Breathnach View Post
Methinks the priest was showing off his Greek as well as his Latin. My knowledge of Greek is approximately the same as my knowledge of Mongolian, except that I can recognise and name a few letters of the alphabet, thanks to a maths teacher who liked entertaining digressions. The X-like character is known as "Chi" (pronounced "ky"); it is often used as an abbreviation for "Christ" - think of Xmas.

Christopher would indeed fit as there are a lot of that name in the tree - so it could well be the case. I'll go with that assumption for now. Thanks.
Advertisement
08-05-2012, 19:57   #6
CeannRua

Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Breathnach View Post

I think that here XP should be read together as this means 'Chi Rho' used as symbol for Christ. Just looking at IrishGenealogy, when given in Latin, Christopher and its female forms seem to be often listed with various endings but beginning as Xt_ _ _ and Xp_ _ _. Probably difficult to find some of them.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion