Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

08-05-2012, 10:55   #46
ElleEm

Went on a college trip to Mountjoy years ago.
It was utterly depressing. It is cold and dingy and I could not believe that the prisoners had to "slop out". As far as I recall, the prisoners are only allowed one shower a week, and one change of clothes a week. These aren't even provided on the same day. The sheer disrespect of the prison gaurds to the prisoners was eye opening.

The female prison was something else! Ensuite bedrooms instead of cells. The female prison areas are referred to as houses, and they are. When we went in, there were about ten women chilling out in a sitting room, drinking tea, smoking and watching telly. They have an amazing computer room and we saw signs on a communal notice board for yoga classes and stuff that were being ran in the centre.

The inequality was unreal.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
08-05-2012, 18:27   #47
newmug

This thing of "slopping out" keeps arising. Can someone please explain what it is?
08-05-2012, 18:31   #48
deaddonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmug View Post
This thing of "slopping out" keeps arising. Can someone please explain what it is?
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=slopping+out
(2) thanks from:
08-05-2012, 18:41   #49
scwazrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by deaddonkey View Post
08-05-2012, 18:45   #50
Bambii_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish_wolf View Post
Went to wheatfield prison on a school trip when I was in TY. Feckers had access to a gym, a 5 star restaurant with a different meal every day of the month, playstations, the works. They had classes for all sorts of skills and workshops and art rooms and all sorts of facilities. More like a feckin' boarding school then a prison.

Not saying we should treat prisoners like animals but it was a bit much.
Prison sounds like a nice place, they're not affected by the recession! We should all just go there...
Advertisement
08-05-2012, 20:15   #51
fran17

do they still sell soap on a rope in the prison shop...
09-05-2012, 00:13   #52
Out Of The Night

I have been in a few for college related reasons. What struck me was the hierarchical structure in place. Sex offenders were bottom of the pile and loathed by the other prisoners. There was a sense of normality also. I mean for some of them it had become their home and they carried on as best they could.
09-05-2012, 00:15   #53
mikemac1

Read a book about it

The prison officers are sly dogs

If there is someone in Dublin who is causing hassle they bundle them into a van and transfer them to Cork
Of course being the outsider the Dub gets a hammering from his new Corkonian comrades

Works the other way too
Officers in Cork send prisoners up to Dublin when some lessons need to be learned

The travellers in Mountjoy keep to themselves and their area is known as "the caravan".
They don't mix with the other prisoners
09-05-2012, 00:32   #54
IrishAm

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlemont View Post
I was on the D-Wing there over ten years ago and your making it sound like a great place, Fair enough the D-Wing was good but not half as good as your making it out. The education helped me a lot, Do you think prisoners shouldn't get education ? The gym was fairly crap too. Don't think any mobile phone is going to fit through the mesh nets either.
Fair play to you for having the honesty to admit that and I am glad education inside helped you turn your life around.

As someone who is claustrophobic, I dont think I could last any significant time in prison.

In the name of the father is like a horror movie to me, getting wrongfully locked up is my biggest fear in life.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
09-05-2012, 00:41   #55
previous user

Council dwelling scum.
09-05-2012, 00:43   #56
charlemont
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemac1 View Post
Read a book about it

The prison officers are sly dogs

If there is someone in Dublin who is causing hassle they bundle them into a van and transfer them to Cork
Of course being the outsider the Dub gets a hammering from his new Corkonian comrades

Works the other way too
Officers in Cork send prisoners up to Dublin when some lessons need to be learned

The travellers in Mountjoy keep to themselves and their area is known as "the caravan".
They don't mix with the other prisoners
The only time I'v heard of people getting moved to Cork is when they deserve it. Cork is a horrid prison. The Dublin/Cork rivalry is mostly mythical and only real scumbags get involved in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishAm View Post
Fair play to you for having the honesty to admit that and I am glad education inside helped you turn your life around.

As someone who is claustrophobic, I dont think I could last any significant time in prison.

In the name of the father is like a horror movie to me, getting wrongfully locked up is my biggest fear in life.
Thank you I appreciate that, Yea I done my leaving after I came out and got 3 A's and 2 B's, I'v done Architectural draughting too and now I'm doing AutoCAD. I had my own problems in life which lead to me going inside and I have to say most prisoners have issues too, That's why they are in there.
Thanks from:
09-05-2012, 00:48   #57
IrishAm

Quote:
The only time I'v heard of people getting moved to Cork is when they deserve it. Cork is a horrid prison. The Dublin/Cork rivalry is mostly mythical and only real scumbags get involved in it.
The Dublin vs Cork rivalry is anything but mythical, brother! Probably more on the outside than the inside, but.

Quote:
Thank you I appreciate that, Yea I done my leaving after I came out and got 3 A's and 2 B's, I'v done Architectural draughting too and now I'm doing AutoCAD. I had my own problems in life which lead to me going inside and I have to say most prisoners have issues too, That's why they are in there.
Fair play man, best of luck in the future.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion