The Crapness of your Hometown - Page 12 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

08-05-2012, 08:22   #166
DERPY HOOFS
Banned

I used to think i lived in a posh area as we had more disadvantaged areas around us.
Now i go back and cringe as the place is a right kip and i never realized it.
Advertisement
08-05-2012, 09:20   #167
a fat guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterKid View Post
If my memory serves me correctly weren't some Continental lads (maybe German, Danish or Swedish) violently assaulted in New Ross a couple of years back resulting in the death of at least one of them?
Yeah, the scumbags will attack anything as long as they find a way to vindicate themselves.

"You foreign bastards" tends to be one of their favourite excuses.

I was actually chased home one night by about ten lads when I was younger because I was a "crusty bastard".

Horrible, horrible place...
08-05-2012, 10:23   #168
JupiterKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by toexpress View Post
Was in Naas at the weekend, now I grew up just outside Naas, went to school there, worked there, went out in the town and all that. So on Saturday after finishing in Harvey Normans I decided to take advantage of a rare Saturday off and rang my Mum and sister to suggest we meet for lunch, they both said we should go to Kilcullen as there is nowhere in Naas to go, drove down the town for a look see ... they were right! It's a dive now a hideous nasty dive. When I was growing up Naas was the place to be far better than Newbridge we would have looked down on Newbridge actually and bad as Newbridge is now I would much prefer it to Naas it's not the town it was in fact to be honest lunch time on Saturday was like a ghost town compared to when I used to work in it.

Personally I blame the whole by pass coupled with the retail parks that keep appearing everywhere

Naas would be 100 times worse if it hadn't been bypassed 30 years ago. It was the worst traffic bottleneck in Ireland before the M7 motorway opened.

And I know Naas quite well and IMO it is not a kip. The problem with Naas was bad planning on the part of the Town Council allowed too many shops to relocate to the edge of town leaving the town centre to go downhill. Doesn't Naas have a property bubble era shopping centre that's lying half built?

There are a load of towns worse than Naas. Athy would IMO be the worst town in County Kildare.

Last edited by JupiterKid; 08-05-2012 at 10:26.
(2) thanks from:
13-05-2012, 11:16   #169
working fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyswatter View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by working fool View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyswatter View Post
Drogheda is nowhere near as bad as it's made out to be here.

There are some good restaurants, scenery (Millmount) nice surrounding areas (Newgrange), decent shopping, 3/4 nightclubs. The cinema is poor and outdated but you wouldn't run out of things to do quickly.

I remember New Ross from my youth, such an average dull place. Gorey is just a bottleneck town.

Waterford seems alright.
Ever been to rathmullen in Drogheda ????
Makes Beirut look like Disneyland
Yeah, it has the towns best swimming pool.
That it does
But it's on the very outskirts of rathmullen and fairly well fortified to boot
13-05-2012, 11:29   #170
a fat guy

Had some rocks and a bottle thrown at me last night because I was wearing glasses...
Advertisement
13-05-2012, 11:36   #171
dirtyden

Quote:
Originally Posted by a fat guy View Post
Had some rocks and a bottle thrown at me last night because I was wearing glasses...
And because your fat.
(3) thanks from:
13-05-2012, 11:57   #172
chocolatrose
Closed Account

Shannon...

Seems to be merging into Limerick these days Grrr

Not sure if the airport can even do us justice any more...come to think of it they were going to call that Limerick airport at some stage too I'm sure...ffs Shannon is in Clare people..the amount of times I get letters addressed Shannon, Co. Limerick is ridiculous
13-05-2012, 17:01   #173
hattoncracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ads by Google View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hattoncracker View Post
Monaghan.. The mentality is awful, there's nothing there, begrudging, backward, gossiping bible-bashers with a 3 screen cinema, and very little prospects of getting out unless youre Lucky enough to have a job .
If I never had to visit that place again it would b too soon, but family occasions always beckon.
It's not that bad at all.. Granted, I've no desire to head back but there's a couple of good schools, a lot of sport, good roads now, a few good bars and nice take-aways. As much as I disliked most of the people there bar my friends, I think it's a grand spot.

And most of the people I know got out of it.

I grew up there, so maybe I'm biased.. The housing estates are rough, and there's a horrible attitude towards any outsiders, along with a very religiously segregated attitude.. (they ask ur surname to find out what religion you are!) my mum's friend locked her 22 year old daughter away coz she got pregnant before marriage and no one knew she was even pregnant til after she had the baby, then she got preggers again and her mom kicked her out... She wasn't allowed to wear white on her wedding day by the priest..
13-05-2012, 17:09   #174
JupiterKid

Quote:
I grew up there, so maybe I'm biased.. The housing estates are rough, and there's a horrible attitude towards any outsiders, along with a very religiously segregated attitude.. (they ask ur surname to find out what religion you are!) my mum's friend locked her 22 year old daughter away coz she got pregnant before marriage and no one knew she was even pregnant til after she had the baby, then she got preggers again and her mom kicked her out... She wasn't allowed to wear white on her wedding day by the priest..

When was this - 1958? And who under the age of 50 gives a flying f*ck what a priest thinks these days?
Advertisement
13-05-2012, 23:35   #175
hattoncracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterKid View Post
Quote:
I grew up there, so maybe I'm biased.. The housing estates are rough, and there's a horrible attitude towards any outsiders, along with a very religiously segregated attitude.. (they ask ur surname to find out what religion you are!) my mum's friend locked her 22 year old daughter away coz she got pregnant before marriage and no one knew she was even pregnant til after she had the baby, then she got preggers agauin and her mom kicked her out... She wasn't allowed to wear white on her wedding day by the priest..

When was this - 1958? And who under the age of 50 gives a flying f*ck what a priest thinks these days?

The wedding was like three years ago, the oldest kid is about seven at most...

The fact that people accept this behaviour is the worst part. I cant be home for more than 2 days without gettin cabin fever!!
14-05-2012, 00:20   #176
TheMilkyPirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by noddyone2 View Post
Wexford town isn't much better, shops closed everywhere, litter, dire parking.
Not sure where your getting this from, Wexford town is probably 1000 times nicer than any of the other three towns in Wexford.
Thanks from:
14-05-2012, 00:27   #177
JupiterKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraca View Post
Not sure where your getting this from, Wexford town is probably 1000 times nicer than any of the other three towns in Wexford.

From my frequent visits to Wexford I would rate Wexford town as the nicest town in the county and New Ross the worst. Enniscorthy is okayish - in a nice river valley setting - but people from there seem to despise their own town a lot.

I still hold firm to my view that Tipperary Town is the worst town in Ireland. A daisycutter or small nuclear device would improve that place.
(3) thanks from:
14-05-2012, 00:30   #178
Halo Kitty

Well i live in the Kingdom and it is Heaven...Mountains, Lakes, and Jackie Healy Rae,..
A visa will be required soon to enter, No Crap here at all, and of course we won Tidy Towns so no liter either...
14-05-2012, 00:36   #179
Mr Benevolent
Closed Account

Dublin. A bit of a kip.
14-05-2012, 00:58   #180
JupiterKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halo Kitty View Post
Well i live in the Kingdom and it is Heaven...Mountains, Lakes, and Jackie Healy Rae,..
A visa will be required soon to enter, No Crap here at all, and of course we won Tidy Towns so no liter either...

Kenmare is beautiful and Killarney is picturesque if a bit over-touristy. Tralee is meh but Listowel is shabby, dingy town. Also the place where a man convicted of rape was cheered and supported by many of the locals. Delightful.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion