Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

05-05-2012, 15:02   #136
OneArt

There's election campaigns going on here at the moment. One of the campaigning groups is the Pirate Party. On their posters some of the candidates are wearing bandanas and big gold earrings.

If only I'd paid my taxes I would so vote for them...
Thanks from:
Advertisement
05-05-2012, 15:44   #137
mandrake04

I have worked/friends with a couple of Germans here in Oz and they are great bunch of lads, I would say definitely better than most of the muppets we have on here.

Heading back over to the Fatherland in September for a bit of training, they definitely know how to run a country.
05-05-2012, 16:32   #138
Captain Graphite
Closed Account

Any German people I've met have been lovely. Never liked the German language but that's about the only thing I have against them.

Was in Munich when I was 13 but it was a school trip, so as you can imagine I didn't exactly take full advantage of it. Would love to go back to Germany some day though; have been told that Berlin, Hamburg and Koln are all brilliant cities to go out in.
05-05-2012, 16:42   #139
mandrake04

I think German language is easy enough, sure English is a Germanic Language.
05-05-2012, 16:48   #140
Siuin
Closed Account

I've had a German housemate in two different accommodations for the past two years-- the first guy was a completely humourless bore, but the second girl was awesome (albeit a total clean freak). As with anyone- a mixed bag.
Advertisement
05-05-2012, 19:38   #141
HavingCrack
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandrake04 View Post
I think German language is easy enough, sure English is a Germanic Language.
They diverged an awful long time ago though. A French person would learn Spanish or Italian a lot easier than an English speaker would learn German.
08-05-2012, 04:35   #142
SurferDude41
Closed Account

Things I like about Germans-

They are very punctual, never late.
They are very hardworking,
They are very honest and straight forward.
They have tall blonde attractive uninhibited women....
They aren't brainwashed by the catholic church.
They are very organised.
They have excellent well educated politicans running their country, while we only seem to have corrupt gombeen men running our country into the feckin ground....arrrrggggghhhh

Things I dislike about bloody Germans....

They are so fecking organised about every area of their lives. They have a system for everything....
They seem incapable of being spontaineous,
They are very arrogant.
They are like sheep, they don't seem to work well on their own initiative.
They are rather robotic, once they make a plan its carried out.

When one of their well organised plans goes wrong.... they just seem to go into crebral meltdown.... This can be absolutely hilarious to watch....They rarely seem to include any sort of back up plan....this is prolly why they lost the war.....lol...

Last edited by SurferDude41; 08-05-2012 at 04:46.
08-05-2012, 04:44   #143
blatantrereg

Have to disagree with the great diets assessment. Spent a week in Stuttgart. The food was dire and made me sick. Also rare to find a restaurant there that wasnt in the fast food category.
13-05-2012, 21:06   #144
TeddyTedson

It's so nice to see so many people have such positive things to say about Germans.
I have a Dutch friend who says it best, "Germans are awesome"
Advertisement
13-05-2012, 21:08   #145
Cassidy28

I really like German people.
Thanks from:
13-05-2012, 21:13   #146
RobbingBandit

I like the Germans sense of humor.

13-05-2012, 21:17   #147
Tigerbaby

worked in Frankfurt in the late '70's. What a lovely civilised and nice people. Great food. The best beer in the World. A cultured and beautiful Country and Race.
13-05-2012, 21:32   #148
Princess Consuela Bananahammock
of the clan Bananahammock

Princess Consuela Bananahammock's Avatar

The best thing about the Germans is, compared to the Irish, is that they tend not to be judgemental or begrudge.

Happy, curious, interested in you (whereas the Irish people think you're a freak) and genuinely encouraging.

The humour thing is a myth, because of translation issues and the fact that Germans can be very self-conscious about their English. They might be fluent speakers, but they're very worried about making even minor mistakes.
Thanks from:
13-05-2012, 21:36   #149
Deus Ex Machina
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by grenache View Post
One aspect of how they differ from other nationalities would be in their eye for detail, or preciseness. For example, if one of my German customers is paying for an item, and the bill comes to €1.88, he/she will count out exactly that amount in change.
They sound like fucking weirdos, I don't think that is in any way indicative of how Germans generally act.
13-05-2012, 21:37   #150
TeddyTedson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikky Poo2 View Post
The best thing about the Germans is, compared to the Irish, is that they tend not to be judgemental or begrudge.

Happy, curious, interested in you (whereas the Irish people think you're a freak) and genuinely encouraging.

The humour thing is a myth, because of translation issues and the fact that Germans can be very self-conscious about their English. They might be fluent speakers, but they're very worried about making even minor mistakes.
You're a tad cynical about the Irish there, I actually find Germans to be very similar to Irish.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion