Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

07-05-2012, 22:24   #16
Bpmull

Sorry my mistake in the op it should be 1219 for the new 13.3 inch and 1381 euro for the 15.4 inch reburbised mac sorry for the confusion and thank you all for your advice so far Its a great help
Advertisement
07-05-2012, 23:43   #17
Sad Professor
Information Retrieval

Will this be your primary machine, OP? Are you leaving home to go to college? If so, I'd probably say get the 15-inch MBP. But keep it mind it is quite a bit less portable than the 13-inch. I mean, I wouldn't be able to fit a 15-inch in my backpack. They are lovely machines though and if I was getting a new Mac tomorrow, it's a 15-inch MBP that I'd get. But again, you might want to wait and see what the new models are like.

However, if you don't need Ethernet or an optical drive, you should seriously consider the Air over the Pro. I got 13-inch MBP originally for college and I regretted it because I had no need for the optical drive, nor the extra ports, nor the crappy slow hard drive. It was just extra weight to drag between lectures and back and forth to college everyday. It's bad enough dragging books around.
07-05-2012, 23:45   #18
conor.hogan.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by padraig_f View Post
Say what? I thought the two options in the OP
Sounds like quite a lot to me.
My bad, should have rechecked OP to see these were second hand. In this case go 15" if you do not mind the extra weight*.

For that price the extras are quite a bit. I was working of Apple brand new prices where I do think the 15" is worth it.

*There is quite a difference in weight and size.

Last edited by conor.hogan.2; 07-05-2012 at 23:50.
Thanks from:
08-05-2012, 04:12   #19
avalon68

I have a 13 inch mbp - its a great machine but I regret not getting the 15 inch. I usually hook up an external monitor if I have a lot of work to get done. I find the tiny screen space a pain if I need more than one document open - but the 2nd screen is an adequate solution for me. Probably not ideal if you plan on working from the library/away from home a lot though.
08-05-2012, 15:11   #20
acous

Send a message via MSN to acous
Quote:
Originally Posted by conor.hogan.2
I wouldn't advise a macbook air for college
I strongly disagree. You rarely need an optical drive and 128gigs is plenty for documents, music and a few movies. If you have a lot of HD movies or something you'd probably need an external hard drive, but having a second drive for backup is something I'd recommend anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalon68 View Post
I find the tiny screen space a pain if I need more than one document open
To further pimp the Air , the 13" model has the same resolution as the entry level 15", and much higher resolution than the 13" Pro. Even the 11" air has a higher res screen than the 13" pro.
Advertisement
08-05-2012, 16:18   #21
frozenfrozen

Also the SSD as standard is really handy not having to spend a minute starting up and shutting down all the time. I get around 8 second boot up on my 11 inch i7 MBA.
They're all great laptops so if you feel you need an optical drive and an ethernet port then go MBP but otherwise air is more than enough for what you need and it's light and fast.
08-05-2012, 17:56   #22
conor.hogan.2

I am a corner case so hence me not recommending the Air. OP if you do not need to read/write CD/DVDs and do not need a lot of space then go with the Air.

I never turn off my MBP (except to update) so boot up is rarely an issue for me personally.
08-05-2012, 18:22   #23
frozenfrozen

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor.hogan.2 View Post
I am a corner case so hence me not recommending the Air. OP if you do not need to read/write CD/DVDs and do not need a lot of space then go with the Air.

I never turn off my MBP (except to update) so boot up is rarely an issue for me personally.
A mechanical HDD spinning while you're walking around could do some damage i'd say! be careful that it completely stops spinning!
08-05-2012, 18:51   #24
conor.hogan.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenfrozen View Post
A mechanical HDD spinning while you're walking around could do some damage i'd say! be careful that it completely stops spinning!
None of my HDD have broken yet. I obviously put it to sleep while moving it, but rarely shut it completely down.

I have left it spinning while moving it while encoding video/audio and other longer things that i needed to leave the laptop running but needed to move around college and never had a problem although I agree I would avoid doing it unless I really had to.
Advertisement
08-05-2012, 19:27   #25
Sad Professor
Information Retrieval

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor.hogan.2 View Post
I have left it spinning while moving it while encoding video/audio and other longer things that i needed to leave the laptop running but needed to move around college and never had a problem although I agree I would avoid doing it unless I really had to.
Really? Did you disable the motion sensor? Because otherwise the drive would have been constantly spinning up and down which would put a lot of stress on it. I'm surprised it didn't roast itself to death.

In fact, I have a theory that people moving the machine before the drive has spun down is a major cause of hard drive failure in MacBooks. Apple's hibernation mode (which delayed how long the machine took go to sleep considerably) combined with the motion sensor probably killed a fair few drives. I'm always super careful about never moving the machine while the drive is spinning.

So you have a helluva lot more faith in hard drives than I do. One of the main reason I'd recommend the Air because of how much more reliable SSDs are. At the very least you don't need to worry about heads crashing into the platter.
08-05-2012, 19:38   #26
conor.hogan.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sad Professor View Post
Really? Did you disable the motion sensor? Because otherwise the drive would have been constantly spinning up and down which would put a lot of stress on it. I'm surprised it didn't roast itself to death.

In fact, I have a theory that people moving the machine before the drive has spun down is a major cause of hard drive failure in MacBooks. Apple's hibernation mode (which delayed how long the machine took go to sleep considerably) combined with the motion sensor probably killed a fair few drives. I'm always super careful about never moving the machine while the drive is spinning.

So you have a helluva lot more faith in hard drives than I do. One of the main reason I'd recommend the Air because of how much more reliable SSDs are. At the very least you don't need to worry about heads crashing into the platter.
I used some app called Insomniax I think. I only did this twice as I was encoding video/audio once and downloading an extremely extremely large file another time.

I carried it around in my bag in a case opened and the fan/back end pointing outwards and not inwards with the bag slightly open around college. You are right it was very dodgy as the machine was working very very hard and would be quite warm in general never mind the fact it was being moved and inside a bag…

I have faith in HDDs in a sense but I also have everything immediately important backed up to Dropbox and various places.

I certainly would never recommend doing it. But one thing Apple seem to have gotten right imo is there drives especially with the way their fans work and the motion sensor but still very very brittle drives by their very nature.

Last edited by conor.hogan.2; 08-05-2012 at 19:41.
Thanks from:
08-05-2012, 19:50   #27
Sad Professor
Information Retrieval

It would must have destroyed your battery life.

I have to say the only CPU intensive tasks I do on either of my Macs is watch YouTube videos. The advantage to this is that anytime I hear the fan running I know there's something wrong.
08-05-2012, 21:47   #28
Bpmull

Thank you all so much for your help. If I buy a MacBook pro would it be worth paying an extra 203 euro to get a 128 gb ssd rather than the standard 500gb Drive another option is to get an 8gb ram also 203 euro but is it really necessary. Is the mac slow with the standard drive? As you are loosing alot of storage just to get the ssd. Anyone that has one with a standard drive do you find start up slow etc? Thanks again for your help.

Last edited by Bpmull; 08-05-2012 at 21:52.
08-05-2012, 22:14   #29
viclemronny

Get as little ram as possible and then get the upgrade yourself, it's much cheaper to buy the extra ram.

Also, if you don't need a disc drive, consider getting the pro anyway and then you can buy your own SSD and swap that in for the regular 500 HDD. then pop out the disc drive and pop the HDD in there. There are small 'holders' (long day, you know the type of thing i mean) that will hold a hdd in the disc drive space.
08-05-2012, 22:43   #30
conor.hogan.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sad Professor View Post
It would must have destroyed your battery life.

I have to say the only CPU intensive tasks I do on either of my Macs is watch YouTube videos. The advantage to this is that anytime I hear the fan running I know there's something wrong.
Do you mean not shutting down destroyed my battery life as opposed to the leaving it on in a bag to do processing did?

My battery cycles are ridiculously high but then again my laptop is my TV, I uses it for college and now work along with music, videos etc

Ah hearing the fan? I rarely notice anymore….

1.5 years and battery is at 85%

Last edited by conor.hogan.2; 08-05-2012 at 22:46.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion