Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

04-05-2012, 14:11   #1
pecker1992

college assignment on childhood obesity

Hi all,

Im currently writing a reseach brief for college which poses the question if there is a major link between high processed foods and childhood obesity. Just as i know people here are great at having many sources to do with obesity at hand could anyone shed some light or link me to a place where I might find said sources cheers
Advertisement
04-05-2012, 14:57   #2
SunnyDub1
Closed Account

https://www.google.ie/
Thanks from:
04-05-2012, 15:01   #3
pecker1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyDub1 View Post

I wish it were that simple..I really do
04-05-2012, 15:20   #4
feelgoodinc27

pubmed.com you should have access to most of the journals if your in college.
04-05-2012, 15:22   #5
g'em
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecker1992 View Post
Hi all,

Im currently writing a reseach brief for college which poses the question if there is a major link between high processed foods and childhood obesity. Just as i know people here are great at having many sources to do with obesity at hand could anyone shed some light or link me to a place where I might find said sources cheers
The Journal of Obesity is probably a decent start. Find a related review paper and you can start sourcing from that.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
04-05-2012, 23:16   #6
pecker1992

Thank you all for the help..it is much appreciated
06-05-2012, 19:43   #7
El_Dangeroso

Google scholar is a very good research tool.

http://scholar.google.com/

If you search within the college network you should have access to the full text of papers

But just because something is published does not make the conclusions of the authors are automatically true. It pays dividends to learn some basic stats and how to really dig through a paper:

http://www.bmj.com/about-bmj/resourc...how-read-paper

Endnote is a great little program that helps you organise your citations and put them into word. A lot of colleges provide it on college computers.
06-05-2012, 19:48   #8
saa

Maybe you could do two separate streams of research one looking for sources detailing changes in food processing/new ingredients/change in diets/market sales of certain foods/popularity of fast food places etc. and one for obesity in children stats, I'm not sure whether you'd like to focus in on UK or American findings or which ones are easier to get online. Get in contact with safe food or some similar organisation in Ireland and see if they have any resources as they've been publicly dealing with the obesity issue here recently.

Edit and see if there are any correlations between the times frames, childrens weight changing against findings relating to food and food processing.
07-05-2012, 12:27   #9
El_Dangeroso

Nation master is a great little tool for getting population data between countries:

http://www.nationmaster.com/index.php

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion