Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

05-05-2012, 04:25   #1231
castie
Hosted Moderator

HMod: BAPS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Generic View Post
Was playing football yesterday and to my surprise calling for the ball when the opposition has it is a bookable offence. Is it the same in rugby? Pretty sure I do it all the time when tracking back
Unsportsman like conduct I believe would cover this.
Advertisement
05-05-2012, 19:42   #1232
daniels.ducks

Quote:
Was playing football yesterday and to my surprise calling for the ball when the opposition has it is a bookable offence. Is it the same in rugby? Pretty sure I do it all the time when tracking back
Football as in GAA or football as in soccer?
06-05-2012, 13:35   #1233
awec

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniels.ducks View Post
Football as in GAA or football as in soccer?
It's against the rules in soccer.
07-05-2012, 19:01   #1234
daveharnett

Quote:
Was playing football yesterday and to my surprise calling for the ball when the opposition has it is a bookable offence. Is it the same in rugby?
It's not mentioned in law, which is not to say that a ref couldn't penalize it if he didn't like it, as per castie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by castie View Post
Unsportsman like conduct I believe would cover this.
14-05-2012, 20:07   #1235
sydthebeat
Subscriber

min dimensions of a rugby pitch

i cant find any minimum dimension anywhere... i have read the official law here which is fine but does anyone know of (unwritten or otherwise) minimum dimensions of a pitch??

surely its not allowed that the 22 can also be the 10 meter line

im trying to design in an extra pitch onto a clubs ground... im playing with a 60 x 90 pitch currently
Advertisement
14-05-2012, 20:58   #1236
rje66

pitch 60m wide no prob.

pitch 90m long = 45m from half way to try line, 10m+22m= 32m accounted for,
so space between 10m and 22m is 13m, no problem there.
BUT.......

if your 90m has to include dead ball area then allow appox 3m for it, thus area between 22m and 10m is 10m no prob

also rem. you will need a strip along both touch lines of at least 3m for subs/spectators.

cym's pitch in terenure is tight for space and there dosent seem to be any probs. there
(2) thanks from:
15-05-2012, 12:58   #1237
sydthebeat
Subscriber

thanks rje66

i hadnt included a dead ball area in that 90 m, i actually had allowed 10 m but looking at that now it may be too generous.... possibly 5 is ok?

the spectators areas work ok...

whats the breaking point?
is less than 10 m between the 10 and the 22 not acceptable?
15-05-2012, 19:03   #1238
locum-motion

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydthebeat View Post
i cant find any minimum dimension anywhere... i have read the official law here which is fine but does anyone know of (unwritten or otherwise) minimum dimensions of a pitch??

surely its not allowed that the 22 can also be the 10 meter line

im trying to design in an extra pitch onto a clubs ground... im playing with a 60 x 90 pitch currently
Quote:
1.2 REQUIRED DIMENSIONS FOR THE PLAYING
ENCLOSURE
(a) Dimensions. The field of play does not exceed 100 metres in
length and 70 metres in width. Each in-goal does not exceed 22
metres in length and 70 metres in width.
(b) The length and breadth of the playing area are to be as near as
possible to the dimensions indicated
. All the areas are rectangular.
(c) The distance from the goal line to the dead ball line should be not
less than 10 metres where practicable.
(The emphasis in the above quote from the Laws is mine)

I would suggest that 5m would be the smallest 'practicable' depth of the in-goal area. What level of rugby is to be played on this pitch? While you might get away with 90x60m for juvenile rugby, as an adult I wouldn't have liked to play on such a small pitch.

Some years ago, England were putting together a proposal to host the RWC (the 2007 one, I think), and they were planning a 16-team main competition with a second parallel competition for 2nd/3rd tier nations*. Their plan was to use soccer grounds to host this competition. One of the reasons the bid failed, IIRC, was that the playing enclosures in most English soccer grounds are only ~100m long, and it was deemed that this was too short.

* I think the idea for this stemmed from the Rugby League World Cup in 1995, which had both a main World Cup and also what they called the 'Emerging Nations World Cup' (Ireland were beaten in the final of this competition by the Cook Islands, if anyone's interested)
15-05-2012, 20:58   #1239
rje66

Quote:
thanks rje66

i hadnt included a dead ball area in that 90 m, i actually had allowed 10 m but looking at that now it may be too generous.... possibly 5 is ok?

the spectators areas work ok...

whats the breaking point?
is less than 10 m between the 10 and the 22 not acceptable?
wouldnt see any problem with an area between 22 and 10m being around 10m or less.
If its junior rugby then def no problem with a small pitch, for adults still no problem, they might have a bit of a moan but will be glad to have somewhere to play.
certainly as a ref i wouldnt see any probs. once the area is safe, eg if dead ball is 3m then at 3.1m i wouldnt like to see a wall or drain etc

Rem its all about getting people out playing the game they love, a slightly smaller pitch shouldnt stop this, besides they will all think they are really fit
Advertisement
17-05-2012, 11:08   #1240
Downtime

The in goal should not be less than 10m where practicable. 5m is very short.
17-05-2012, 16:57   #1241
armchaircoach

The IRB website has full details on required pitch dimensions.

5 meters is very short for a dead-ball area. That's the kind of thing you see in Premiership rugby (look at Bath) and guys come very close to sliding dead/running into hoardings every time a try is scored.

It also very much limits the tactics that an attacking team can use, for instance, it is almost impossible to grubber/chip the ball ahead into the dead-ball and have your guys chase for it.

Same applies to a pitch that is less than 70m wide, you end up constraining how your team trains and plays, and run the risk of other teams running rings around you when you have to play on a more spacious pitch that the team is not used to.
17-05-2012, 19:50   #1242
rje66

Quote:

we are tight for space, so are you saying no pitch because the LOTG state some recommended dimensions ?

''if you build it they will come''
17-05-2012, 20:20   #1243
sydthebeat
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by rje66 View Post
we are tight for space, so are you saying no pitch because the LOTG state some recommended dimensions ?

''if you build it they will come''
its ok, no matter what way i locate them theres no way of getting a 3rd full size pitch in on the existing land.

the current pitches (2) are both 100 x 70 with 10 m dead ball areas.
17-05-2012, 23:57   #1244
Podge_irl

Quote:
its ok, no matter what way i locate them theres no way of getting a 3rd full size pitch in on the existing land.
Try some non-Euclidean geometry!
18-05-2012, 07:02   #1245
castie
Hosted Moderator

HMod: BAPS
Common deadball zones...simplies

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text