Irish 23 Man Squad - The Run In - Page 11 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
04-05-2012, 16:23   #151
Corholio
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 5,093
I think McCarthy would be very unlucky to miss out on the squad, he's been excellent for Wigan since Christmas. It's a pity some people still hold a grudge against him over that whole mix up that was subsequently explained as that. He's a better midfielder than both Andrews and Whelan, but this airtight, lack of change system means Whelan and Andrews will probably be our centre midfielders till they're both around 43.
Corholio is offline  
Advertisement
04-05-2012, 20:31   #152
TheBunk1
Registered User
 
TheBunk1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 764
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgpg5 View Post
Yes I see where you're coming from but it's still 4 left wingers. Duff plays right but can cover left as he's left footed. Why not bring an extra centre mid? Worst comes to worst Fahey can go to the wing or even Long to left winger. It would be nonsensical bringing them 4 imo.

The only way i see McClean going is because Duff misses out or Hunt.
Considering almost all of our play comes from the wings I think it's far from nonsensical to bring 4 wingers. Granted three of em are left sided but two can play right side.

I'd love to see McCarthy go too, he deserves it the way he's played. I get what you're saying about Fahey and Long, Walters could do a job on the right wing too, but then you've players out of position, which is not ideal when so much emphasis is placed on Traps system.

Hopefully we won't see Paul Green anyway
TheBunk1 is offline  
05-05-2012, 01:19   #153
Name Changed
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corholio View Post
I think McCarthy would be very unlucky to miss out on the squad, he's been excellent for Wigan since Christmas. It's a pity some people still hold a grudge against him over that whole mix up that was subsequently explained as that. He's a better midfielder than both Andrews and Whelan, but this airtight, lack of change system means Whelan and Andrews will probably be our centre midfielders till they're both around 43.
It would be absolutely outrageous if McCarthy misses out in the squad. It was be unbelievably outrageous if Paul Green was in and he wasn't.

McCarthy has been excellent for Wigan in their survival bid. I watched him against Arsenal and I thought he was the best player on the pitch. He is quite easily our best central midfielder on form. All the rest of them are struggling bar Hoolahan, and he has no chance. It's inconceivable that McCarthy is overlooked for far inferior players.
Name Changed is offline  
05-05-2012, 11:11   #154
The_Kew_Tour
Registered User
 
The_Kew_Tour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Be like a Russian Peasant in French Patisserie
Posts: 21,912
He wont get in the squad, but I would not kind seeing Ian Harte back even just to come on for last 10 minutes if we are down a goal.

His set pieces are still world class
The_Kew_Tour is offline  
05-05-2012, 12:19   #155
kitakyushu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Name Changed View Post
It would be absolutely outrageous if McCarthy misses out in the squad. It was be unbelievably outrageous if Paul Green was in and he wasn't.
I think it'd be outrageous if either went. The former because of his questionable attitude during this campaign and the latter because he's basically just rubbish and offers nothing to the squad at this point in time.
kitakyushu is offline  
Advertisement
05-05-2012, 12:54   #156
TheRedDevil10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Glasnevin, Dublin 9
Posts: 1,169
Why hasn't anyone mentioned Lawrence ?
TheRedDevil10 is offline  
05-05-2012, 13:00   #157
briany
Registered User
 
briany's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedDevil10 View Post
Why hasn't anyone mentioned Lawrence ?
Lawrence is totally out of favor at the moment which is strange considering that he was once shaping up to be a stalwart of the Trap set up, albeit a perennial sub/backup. I'd prefer him slightly over Hunt.
briany is offline  
Thanks from:
05-05-2012, 13:40   #158
seklly
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dublin
Posts: 648
Send a message via MSN to seklly
Good first half for Hoolahan, maybe too late to change Trap's mind

Last edited by seklly; 05-05-2012 at 13:41. Reason: Spelling
seklly is offline  
05-05-2012, 13:43   #159
WoollyRedHat
Registered User
 
WoollyRedHat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: In a yellow submarine
Posts: 6,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by briany View Post
Lawrence is totally out of favor at the moment which is strange considering that he was once shaping up to be a stalwart of the Trap set up, albeit a perennial sub/backup. I'd prefer him slightly over Hunt.
I'd prefer him over Hunt too. If we have Mc Clean coming along, Hunt isn't as important, and correct me if I'm wrong, he hasn't been getting his game for Wolves at all, which is not good considering, well it's Wolves.
WoollyRedHat is offline  
Advertisement
05-05-2012, 13:44   #160
kitakyushu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by briany View Post
Lawrence is totally out of favor at the moment which is strange considering that he was once shaping up to be a stalwart of the Trap set up, albeit a perennial sub/backup. I'd prefer him slightly over Hunt.
I think once Andrews and Whelan demonstrated they could cause damage with indirect freekicks then Lawrence pretty much became surplus to requirements.
kitakyushu is offline  
05-05-2012, 15:11   #161
Name Changed
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitakyushu View Post
I think it'd be outrageous if either went. The former because of his questionable attitude during this campaign and the latter because he's basically just rubbish and offers nothing to the squad at this point in time.
Can McCarthy's attitude be faulted? He turns up consistently (after a previous misunderstanding) and seems to be the one player who never gets a run, despite Trap constantly saying that he will give him a run. If I were McCarthy, I would be extremely disillusioned.
Name Changed is offline  
Thanks from:
05-05-2012, 15:12   #162
Name Changed
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedDevil10 View Post
Why hasn't anyone mentioned Lawrence ?
Maybe people are hoping he'll be forgotten about. Most people want McClean in the squad.
Name Changed is offline  
05-05-2012, 16:07   #163
briany
Registered User
 
briany's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitakyushu View Post
I think once Andrews and Whelan demonstrated they could cause damage with indirect freekicks then Lawrence pretty much became surplus to requirements.
I don't think that Lawrence's only value was as a free kick specialist though. Both him and Hunt are fairly handy on the free kicks but I just think that as a choice for second winger, Lawrence offered a bit more skill on the ball, Hunt - more enthusiasm but Lawrence had enthusiasm himself and put in a lot of graft when he played, probably because he knew he was really fighting for his place.
briany is offline  
06-05-2012, 15:55   #164
darkman2
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 8,482
He won't be in the squad but Ciaran Clark scored for Villa today.
darkman2 is offline  
06-05-2012, 16:20   #165
WilcoOut
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkman2 View Post
He won't be in the squad but Ciaran Clark scored for Villa today.
and dunne and andrews gave away penos!

hopefully theyre gettin em out of their system before poland
WilcoOut is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet