Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Accidentally putting on a bet online :/

Options
  • 04-05-2012 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

If you accidentally put on a bet online say for example you check the odds for something and put in a stake to see how much you would get back if it won.. but you accidentally clicked bet by mistake and the bet went through ?

Is there any way at all of getting your stake back on that bet especially if it was a considerable amount of money ?? Even if I contacted them and explained what happened ??

Any advice would be appreciated thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭DB74

Depends on a lot of things, the main one being the bookie's goodwill

Things like

1. What sort of customer you are
    2. Has the price increased or decreased
    3. What sort of stake is it compared to your usual stake
    4. The mood of the traders

I've had bets voided before because I placed them in error and I've had the request refused before, both from the same bookie

The bottom line is that you won't know unless you ask

Is there any way you can lay it off elsewhere to get the stake back or at least minimise the loss

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭neiler987

DB74 wrote: »
    I've had bets voided before because I placed them in error and I've had the request refused before, both from the same bookie

Is there any way you can lay it off elsewhere to get the stake back or at least minimise the loss

What was the bookies like (their attitude) when you explained the situation to them when they voided the bet ?.. were they more than willing to void it straight away or did you have to keep on harping them and keep on getting in contact with them again and again to get your stake back ????

Unfortunately no.. i lost €350 on the stake

will i name the bookie ?

In both situations I just asked and they either said yes or no. I just accepted their answer because I knew that it was my fault anyway so it was a goodwill gesture on their part. I didn't hassle them when they said no.

No harm naming the bookies although it's not really their fault in fairness.

What was the bet anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

if it won would you try to cancel it ??

In both situations I just asked and they either said yes or no. I just accepted their answer because I knew that it was my fault anyway so it was a goodwill gesture on their part. I didn't hassle them when they said no.

No harm naming the bookies although it's not really their fault in fairness.

What was the bet anyway?

Yeah i suppose your right there actually..

no i wont bother naming them so
    it was the under 4.5 goals bet in football

would it matter too much if the bet was made on a laptop or an iphone app ??

what would you think it would be the best way to contact them through email or over the phone ?

and in your opinion would the size of the stake matter in their decision ???

• Advertisement

dharn wrote: »
    if it won would you try to cancel it ??

yep id have no problem in doing so !

Sounds hard to believe i know but there you go

If the bet has been settled then you've no chance of having it voided

Did you try to void it before the event took place?

If the bet has been settled then you've no chance of having it voided

Did you try to void it before the event took place?

no i couldn't get in contact with them after the bet went through :(

anything else i could possibly do ??? Write them a letter ??

neiler987 wrote: »

Well you're not going to be any worse off by writing to them but IMO there is absolutely no chance of getting that money back

Unfortunately you're probably going to have to write this one off I'm afraid.

When I said that I had bets voided, I meant before the event had started

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

You should name the bookie just for that. Thats disgraceful you weren't able too get in touch and put your case to them and see what they say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭28064212

What did you do to get in contact? Even if you couldn't get a phone number, why didn't you just email them, at least you'd have a time-stamped record that you did think it was an accident

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 9,351 ✭✭✭magherakid

No chance of getting your money back.............

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

If you get onto live help tell them you want your account closed immediately they will probably refund outstanding bets, then re-open your acc when you get your money back.

Edit: Ah jaysus, just seen the bets settled. If only it were that simple we'd all be millionaires.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭cup of tea

If bet is settled then there isn't a chance in hell you'll get it returned!. You would have a chance before the event starts(as I've benefitted from in the past). How were you unable to get in contact with them?.Did you try...email? live help? phone?.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

ft9 wrote: »
    If you get onto live help tell them you want your account closed immediately they will probably refund outstanding bets.

No chance.

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    No chance.

I closed a Bet365 account couple weeks back and an outstanding bet was credited back to my acc.

I closed a Bet365 account couple weeks back and an outstanding bet was credited back to my acc.
    Had the event already finished and the bet lost (regardless of whether it was settled yet)?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote: »
    Had the event already finished and the bet lost (regardless of whether it was settled yet)?

No, obviously not. I suggest having a read of my previous posts on this thread.

No, obviously not. I suggest having a read of my previous posts on this thread.
    The OP's bet has already lost. Why are you advising them to close their account in the hope it will be voided?

EDIT: Only saw your original post, not the edited one :)

Permanent closure or regular?

• Advertisement

Permanent closure or regular?

Not sure what you mean by regular, but I've re-opened it since

cup of tea wrote: »
    If bet is settled then there isn't a chance in hell you'll get it returned!. You would have a chance before the event starts(as I've benefitted from in the past). How were you unable to get in contact with them?.Did you try...email? live help? phone?.

Well I emailed them earlier on basically saying what had happened and that I'm good loyal customer and that this has never happened before which it honestly hasn't.. got an automatic email from them to say that they have received my email that I sent them

So just waiting on a reply from them now I guess

Because after I made the bet I had no internet connection and no credit and no use of a landline ..

Even if I did contact them at the time do u think there might've been a reasonable chance of getting my stake back ??

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭cup of tea

Well I emailed them earlier on basically saying what had happened and that I'm good loyal customer and that this has never happened before which it honestly hasn't.. got an automatic email from them to say that they have received my email that I sent them

So just waiting on a reply from them now I guess

Because after I made the bet I had no internet connection and no credit and no use of a landline ..

Even if I did contact them at the time do u think there might've been a reasonable chance of getting my stake back ??

So straight after you made the bet, you lost your internet connection :confused: .Yes you would have had a great chance of it being voided if it had not started as a 'gesture of goodwill'

Not sure what you mean by regular, but I've re-opened it since

Interesting loophole so. If you have an Antepost bet that looks like it won't come in, close the account, have it voided, and open it again? Seems too good to be true...

Interesting loophole so. If you have an Antepost bet that looks like it won't come in, close the account, have it voided, and open it again? Seems too good to be true...

I'm sure it wouldn't work if it was something that was in play as such, e.g.Utd to win the league. Mine was on a golf tourney which had not started.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Next time work out the potential winnings with a calculator

darokane wrote: »
    Next time work out the potential winnings with a calculator

Or bookmark this site, does pretty much anything you need it to.

http://www.free-bet-calculator.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Not being mean, but my guess is that the OP is a young fella who just lost a lot of money and is now fairly distraught over it. If I am wrong, sorry, but looking at some recent posts of his about being in college etc I think it could be that.

If that is the case, I don't think it would be any harm explaining that to the bookmaker that this is a huge huge amount of money to you and it was a huge mistake betting that amount. In the op you said you just wanted to "check the odds", but tbh, even when you do click bet, you still have to confirm it.

The whole thread smells of desperation for the money and I'm sorry this happened you, but do give it a shot, explaining you're a student etc.

Like I said though, I could be wrong!

Advertisement